Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 08-30-2004   #1
gwallaia

Rep Power: 63494 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Bayou Bucket

Houston Cougars and the Rice Owls square off this Sunday at Reliant Stadium. Kick-off is at 4:00. Come out and watch Kolb and Company take it to the Owls.

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004   #2
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

It'd be great if these two teams would get more support.

Maybe U of H will do better with the new coach and all.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004   #3
gwallaia

Rep Power: 63494 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

Coogs will be improved this season but with the difficult schedule UH has, the record may not reflect it. A road trip to Norman to play the Sooners and a home date against the Miami Hurricanes will be major tasks for the Coogs.

We are among the "Them"
Old 08-31-2004   #4
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

I think it's good to schedule the big boys in college football because it improves your program down the road but I don't think the Coogs can expect to win either one of those games.

Although they played fairly good in Michigan. At least they're on the right road.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004   #5
shinerbock_texas
Rookie

Default Lock of the Season

Lock of the Season

The Cougars cover the 3-1/2 pts over Rice. The Cougars will (should) win by at least 2 TDS.

shinerbock_texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004   #6
MikeMc
All Pro

gwallia...you know I will be there with my crew making all the alumni mad (because we will be standing and causing trouble all game).

We will also make the roadie to Norman...should be good times!

News flash...the Coogs have done well already with "the new coach and all". they were 7-6 last year (after going 0-11 in 2002 & 5-7 in 2003) as well as going to a Bowl. I estimate a 4 loss season...which would be pretty good considering all the losses they have.

More "locals" should go to the Bayou Bucket and other UH games (other than Miami!)....you will be supporting your home team and getting the best entertainment for your dollar!
Old 08-31-2004   #7
MikeMc
All Pro

What's so fun about watching a conservative offense lose a game?

Never fun to see a team lose!

The Coogs would run circles around the Ags...maybe that is why the Ags refuse to schedule any games with the Coogs in the near future!! They claim they are "rebuilding"???? What is that all about!
Old 09-01-2004   #8
TexansCanes
All Pro

i'm with mike why would you want to watch tamu, expect for when ou puts another whooping on them. atleast uh airs it out.
TexansCanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004   #9
MikeMc
All Pro

I guess this year we can see who would be better.....OU is the common foe for UH & A&M. Wouldn't want to use last year as any measuring stick..UH wins that hands down!
Old 09-01-2004   #10
gwallaia

Quote:
Originally Posted by WINTEXANSWIN

There is a much more exciting brand of football 90 miles northwest of Houston.
Aggies may be in the money rich Big 12, but Aggie ball is most certainly not a more exciting brand of football than UH.

We are among the "Them"
Old 09-01-2004   #11
MADDENFAN
Rookie

U OF H IS AN GOOD PROGRAM AND WOULD BE EVEN BETTER IF WE COULD KEEP HOUSTON AREA TALENT IN TOWN. WHO KNOWS WHERE THEY WILL BE 3-5 YRS FROM NOW. GOOD LUCK COOGS AND TRY TO KEEP IT RESPECTABLE AGAINST THOSE CANES.
MADDENFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004   #12
gwallaia

I was talking specifically about the offense UH runs. Its a wide open yet balanced attack.

I was not comparing Robertson Stadium to Kyle Field or the amount of players in the NFL. I was comparing the playbooks.

We are among the "Them"
Old 09-01-2004   #13
Lucky

Rep Power: 119828 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WINTEXANSWIN
The fact of the matter is that going to an Aggie football game is infinitely more exciting than going to a Cougar game...
If you're an Aggie it is. I think you're confusing atmosphere with the actual game. The Aggie traditions like standing, swaying, cheers, are great fun...but Houston puts out a better product on the field right now.

There was a time when the Cougars in the NFL outnumbered the Aggies. Things go in cycles. But if you asked the NFL to select any player off either roster right now (regardless of classification), Kevin Kolb would be the guy.
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004   #14
MikeMc
All Pro

Well, WTW....the last I checked...there is nothing fun about getting your butt handed to you 77-0! UT has also dealt with a similar situation (66-14 or something close), both to OU, so I wait to see how much better UH will be.

If I want to stand & chant in unison (sp?) and give in to conformity, I will go to a Catholic church (no offense to catholics, just the only ex. available).

I enjoy my times at Coog games, and would not trade it for the world...the Hawai'i Bowl, although a loss, was one of the best games I had ever witnesses...the TCWho game would be a close 2nd (loss as well). It is the show that I see, entertainment. If I wanted to see a "strong D and conservative O" I would watch baseball more often!

As it is, the UH Offense is the best show in the STATE!!!

So you go Whoop & Bend over! Or is it Bend over & Whoop? Not sure what the tradition is....what is it called? The farmer & the Sheep??
Old 09-02-2004   #15
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

UofH is a program on the rise...why because of head coach art briles who i might add is not only an ex-texas tech coach and a former red raider himself...briles has took what he learned from coach leach and perfected it...i must admitt leach doesn't know how to balance out the offense but briles does...that's why houston will win atleast 9 games this year...kolb will begin to be recognized this season as a one of the top QB's in the nation and by next season will be one of the heisman hopefulls...as for a&m...coach fran as put in a more balanced offense with a team known for years as a run run run team...the only thing is coach fran doesn't really know what he's doing on defense...another thing a&m is known for...i don't see tamu winning more than 6 games this year...but next year they might have something to watch
Old 09-02-2004   #16
MikeMc
All Pro

Coach Briles learned a lot way before going to Tech. If you remember he had a few state Titles while at Stephenville. His offenses were always quite balanced, but were typically seen as "pass-happy" because people did not realize how much they were running the ball.

Last year, the Coogs had over 225 yrds passing per, but they also had over 200 yards rushing. He is a strict believer in running to set up the pass, or is it passing to set up the run? Either way, once the game was in hand, it was run, run, run! Now go figure that he did this with a True Frosh running the Offense, but I guess it only helped that Kolb already knew how to run the offense..he was like a RS Sr, not a true Fr!

THe problem with Aggieland is that Fran is changing WAY too much, and they are getting confused. If you notice, there are a lot of FR & SO on their 2-deep...that is because those are Franny's boys. He has always had that mentality to get rid of the other guy's players because he favors his own...just ask the Bama boys!

The true heart & soul of those great TCWho teams (while Fran was HC) was the DC...Gary Patterson. Is it not obvious that Fran does not do "D" well....as noted by the 77-0 WHOOPing from OU!

Maybe somehow, the COogs & Ags will get into a Bowl game against each other (hopefully soon - Houston Bowl?) so we can put this to rest.
Old 09-02-2004   #17
gwallaia

I hope the Coogs can win 9 games this season. The schedule is brutal and 9 games would be wonderful. The UH playbook as increased its options giving them even more looks. I say playbook, but Briles does not have a playbook, the offense reacts to how the defense sets up and how the defense initially reacts once the play begins.

As for A&M, I expect them to win more than 6 games this season. WIth a healthy Reggie McNeal for the entire season and no QB controversy, the offense should click in the 2nd year under Fran. The Aggie defense will have to improve as well but with guys like Jaxson Appel (sp) I would expect to see them get better.

We are among the "Them"
Old 09-05-2004   #18
BradK10
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to BradK10 Send a message via Yahoo to BradK10

is this game on any sort of TV, payperview, anything?
Old 09-05-2004   #19
Huge
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Huge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVP

Quote:
As it is, the UH Offense is the best show in the STATE!!!

Best show in the state manages 7 points against Rice?

J/K, Mike. I'd like to see UH win but if it's a loss to Rice...that's okay.
Huge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004   #20
Cindy
Rookie

Unhappy

We just got back from the Bayou Bucket a little while ago. Both teams looked pretty bad. Kevin Kolb had no time at all to throw, and U of H only managed 8 yards rushing for the game! Rice couldn't throw, and only got 28 yards passing. I was disappointed because I've been hearing a lot of talk about the U of H offense, and I thought we might see some pretty decent football this afternoon.
Cindy is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read