Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-10-2006   #1
baba ganoush
Veteran

Default Joppru

whats up with bennie???????is he still with the team?????i think he has had it the easiest...making big money for riding the pine for the past three seasons....i say that we give him one more chance to see what he can do this training camp /mini camp and if he doesnt show up to try and earn a spot let him go if he has not been already.
Rule #7 - play like a champion!!!
baba ganoush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006   #2
texanfan2100
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by baba ganoush
whats up with bennie???????is he still with the team?????i think he has had it the easiest...making big money for riding the pine for the past three seasons....i say that we give him one more chance to see what he can do this training camp /mini camp and if he doesnt show up to try and earn a spot let him go if he has not been already.
He's still here, and I don't think he's hurt yet. I hope they only give him one more chance, seeing as how this is the last year of his contract. If he doesn't do anything this year, I would hope that they wouldn't resign him. I'm not worried though. The GM who would have done that (resigned him) just got shoved out the door yesterday.
texanfan2100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006   #3
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

well obviously by this past draft their not waiting on him anymore...they drafted owen daniels after picking up jeb putzier which means at best joppru is the 3rd TE on the depth chart...what a waste of a second round pick
Old 05-11-2006   #4
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 35068 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyfro
well obviously by this past draft their not waiting on him anymore...they drafted owen daniels after picking up jeb putzier which means at best joppru is the 3rd TE on the depth chart...what a waste of a second round pick
I guess. Three TE's who have never played in a Texan uniform. One of which is still on the payroll and we have invested many dollars in. Moreover, we have Bruenner to deal with as well. I do not think anything is known until June 1st and anything will be decided until training camp.
Old 05-11-2006   #5
Seņor Stan
El Guapo

Rep Power: 44649 Seņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
How is it easy to have your dreams of playing in NFL almost completely ruined?

He has suffered a couple of freak injuries that have sidelined him. It is not a lack of effort or heart on his part. Everything I have read has show him to be putting maximum effort into rehab and film. At least he didn't pull a Winslow and tear himself up on a crotch rocket.

If fully recovered I hope he can make an impact on the team. He can also get some mentoring from that [sarcasm] no good bust of a injury prone center of ours. [/sarcasm] Flanagan didn't play for the 1st three years.

Mike Flanagan was selected by the Green Bay Packers in the third round of the 1996 NFL draft.
July 17, 1996 - Signed by the Packers.
August 19, 1996 - Placed on injured reserverd with a leg injury and missed the entire season.
August 19, 1997 - Placed on the physically unable to perform list with an ankle injury and again missed the entire season.
August 31, 1998 - Traded by the by the Packers to the Carolina Panthers for an undisclosed draft pick.
September 1, 1998 - Trade is voided because Flanagan failed his physical.
February 12, 1999 - Granted free agency.
March 25, 1999 - Re-signed by the Packers.
2003 season - Played in the Pro Bowl.

No saying Joppru will make the Pro-Bowl, but give the kid a shot to show whay he can do.
Seņor Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006   #6
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seņor Stan

He has suffered a couple of freak injuries that have sidelined him. It is not a lack of effort or heart on his part. Everything I have read has show him to be putting maximum effort into rehab and film. At least he didn't pull a Winslow and tear himself up on a crotch rocket.

If fully recovered I hope he can make an impact on the team. He can also get some mentoring from that [sarcasm] no good bust of a injury prone center of ours. [/sarcasm] Flanagan didn't play for the 1st three years.

Mike Flanagan was selected by the Green Bay Packers in the third round of the 1996 NFL draft.
August 19, 1996 - Placed on injured reserverd with a leg injury and missed the entire season.
August 19, 1997 - Placed on the physically unable to perform list with an ankle injury and again missed the entire season.
August 31, 1998 - Traded by the by the Packers to the Carolina Panthers for an undisclosed draft pick.

No saying Joppru will make the Pro-Bowl, but give the kid a shot to show whay he can do.
I agree. It is unfortunate injury and timing caused him not playing a game. What I hear on Joppru is that he does works hard on rehab and getting himself ready for the season. I know, he gets pay without a playing game but he can't control freaking injuries he had in the past. He has so much talent and heart. So let us be an open minded fans and give guy a chance to succeed.
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006   #7
titan hater
Veteran

Quote:

Great Post!!
Old 05-11-2006   #8
Texans86
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyfro
...what a waste of a second round pick
It wasn't a waste at the time. He was a great prospect with no injury history whatsoever. We needed a TE and he was a beast at Michigan. No one could have anticipated what happened next. And besides that, most players after getting two freak injuries would begin to slack off, and just take the money. Everything I hear is that Joppru is working just as hard if not harder to get back on the field. I will never get down on a player with heart. Bennie Joppru has heart, and talent to boot.
Old 05-11-2006   #9
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 281064 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

There is obviously something about Joppru that coaches/scouts see, because he would have been cut a long time ago otherwise.

I say give the kid a chance. Our loyalty to him could pay huge dividends if he lives up to his potential.
Old 05-11-2006   #10
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Where BJ's injuries a result of the training program under Capers? It will be interesting to see if he stands up under Kubiak's program which is quite different.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006   #11
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibar_Harry
Where BJ's injuries a result of the training program under Capers? It will be interesting to see if he stands up under Kubiak's program which is quite different.
In a word, no. They weren't overuse injuries.
Old 05-11-2006   #12
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans86
It wasn't a waste at the time. He was a great prospect with no injury history whatsoever. We needed a TE and he was a beast at Michigan. No one could have anticipated what happened next. And besides that, most players after getting two freak injuries would begin to slack off, and just take the money. Everything I hear is that Joppru is working just as hard if not harder to get back on the field. I will never get down on a player with heart. Bennie Joppru has heart, and talent to boot.
Good recap 86. And I share your sentiments about Bennie, as I'm also pulling for him to have a real NFL career.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006   #13
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think most people agree that he needs one more shot at it, but he better play most, if not all, of this season.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006   #14
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35348 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected

Joppru is my favorite Texan that hasn't played a down for the team. I don't know why but I always felt he would be a great combo TE. Hopefully he stays healthy and gets a decent shot at a roster spot. After a 3 year layoff from contact football though, I'm not sure he can make the roster.
Old 05-11-2006   #15
tsip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 tsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner
In a word, no. They weren't overuse injuries.
Maybe. maybe not, but there is no question Caper's 'loved' his players beating up on each other from the first day to the last day of the season. During the season, Kubiak will have his players do a 'walk-through' of the game plan for that week, unlike Capers having his guys in full-dress uniform in full contact drills. While Caper's motto was 'more contact/more better, Kubiak believes in saving the contact for the game--a body can only take so much punishnent, plus the factor of better performance when not worn out. Think about it...if a player doesn't know how to block, or tackle, or catch a ball, or run a route by the time he gets to the pros...forget it. Too, over the past 4 years , how many times have we heard that a player got hurt in practice or re-aggravated an injury?

Yes, Bennie's never made it to the reg season but still could have benn trying to do too much during the pre-season.
tsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006   #16
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsip
Maybe. maybe not, but there is no question Caper's 'loved' his players beating up on each other from the first day to the last day of the season. During the season, Kubiak will have his players do a 'walk-through' of the game plan for that week, unlike Capers having his guys in full-dress uniform in full contact drills. While Caper's motto was 'more contact/more better, Kubiak believes in saving the contact for the game--a body can only take so much punishnent, plus the factor of better performance when not worn out. Think about it...if a player doesn't know how to block, or tackle, or catch a ball, or run a route by the time he gets to the pros...forget it. Too, over the past 4 years , how many times have we heard that a player got hurt in practice or re-aggravated an injury?

Yes, Bennie's never made it to the reg season but still could have benn trying to do too much during the pre-season.
I agree 100% - in fact I started the thread in January that described this Denver practice philosophy. http://www.houstontexans.com/fan_zon...ad.php?t=17406

If memory serves, Bennie always got hurt very early in camp/coaches session so I'm not convinced overuse was the cause. Walker and Weigert and their injuries on the other hand...

For the record, I predict good things from Bennie this year.
Old 05-11-2006   #17
Hulk75
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 427 Hulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Easiest ask him if he thinks he has had it easy, is there anything he has not torn yet.
He is running routes and doing fine.
Hulk75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006   #18
CoachJim
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to CoachJim Send a message via Yahoo to CoachJim

Quote:

I'm a glass-half-full kinda guy ... or I try to be. Imagine if Joppru does actually come out this season & make an impact ... I'd venture to say that in the next year or 2 we'd have one of the better TE corps in the league, even if it IS by committee(sp)? Don't flame me guys, I said one of the better ones
Old 05-11-2006   #19
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk75
Easiest ask him if he thinks he has had it easy, is there anything he has not torn yet.
He is running routes and doing fine.
He has had it worse than anyone else...he is not able to play the game he loves, earn his paycheck, or even get himself in Madden.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006   #20
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TexanFan881

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan
He has had it worse than anyone else...he is not able to play the game he loves, earn his paycheck, or even get himself in Madden.
I think he was in Madden '05.

I think this smiley was made for Joppru

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read