Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-09-2006   #1
TexanFanInCC
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to TexanFanInCC Send a message via Yahoo to TexanFanInCC
Default honestly, are we set at DB spots?

youngsters in cc brown and glen earl playing safety....and who is going to be the CB other than dunta to start? i hope not pbuc or faggins. any worthy free agents out there or rumors that im missing?
Old 05-09-2006   #2
blockhead83
All Pro

Send a message via AIM to blockhead83

The only half-way decent free agent CB's left are Ahmed Plummer and Ty Law, and we haven't brought either in for a look and I doubt we will. Casserly had a thing for PBuc when he was coming out of college, and he obviously still thought he had a chance to be a good corner when he traded a 2nd and 3rd choice for the guy based on the 3 games of tape he looked at. I think Buchanon could be better in the 4-3 than he was in the 3-4, but I'm not holding out hope for him to even play at a "good" level. I'll settle for mediocre, anything's better than watching him get picked on consistently like last year. I'm fairly certain they're planning to go into the season with the current roster in the secondary, which is surprising, but hopefully an improved pass rush will help take the focus off of how pitiful our secondary is aside of DRob.
blockhead83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006   #3
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

No, we are thin at DB. But a good front seven can help out a lot.
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006   #4
phan1
All Pro

It's really hard to have 2 good DBs on both sides of the field. "set" is really relative. Even if Buchanon hasn't been that great for us, most teams would still like to have the combination of DRob and Buchanon on their team. As for the secondary in general, Earl and Brown will hopefully come in and play well for us, cause I'm not sold on them at all. But they're young and can only get better.
phan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006   #5
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 234681 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I think we are really hurting at FreeSafety.... I think our corners are fine. 4-3, 3-4........ I don't think really matters for Buchannon........ the thing is that the front 7(regardless of front) has to do their job. Stop the run, and pressure the QB. If they can do that, and allow our FS to do his job....... coverage over the top, inside/outside help, then PB is going to shine. Last year, when he was pretty much playing like a safety(cueing in on the run, having to choose which route to cover), there really wasn't a lot that he could do.
PB provides good coverage, but he really plays the QB more than the WR.... which is why he gets beat, the way we played last year, but when the front 7 are doing their job, he'll get us a lot of turnovers too(INTs).

If the front 7 do their job, I bet you they stop throwing the ball to PBs side by mid season, maybe sooner, because he's going to hurt them.
Old 05-09-2006   #6
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TexanFan881

As blockhead said there's not really anyone available except Ty Law and Plummer. The only way we could get one besides that is trading, and I find both of the scenarios unlikely. I look for us to stay with who we have this season because Kubiak said it was a strength for us.
Old 05-09-2006   #7
SESupergenius

I wonder how long it's going to be before Buchanon starts blaming somebody that he's not used right in the 4-3.
Sponsored links
Old 05-09-2006   #8
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14190 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

What about that kid from Buffalo?
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006   #9
tsip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 tsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVP

...didn't we sign a free agent from the Patriots?...thought I read that in one of the many other posts on this subject...

Last edited by tsip; 05-09-2006 at 10:01 AM.
tsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006   #10
Hulk75
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 427 Hulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respected

Really it would not shock me if Ty Law came walking in here. Unless they think our PASS rush is going to be great, which would really help out PBuc and DRob. A LOT.
Hulk75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006   #11
chuckm
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 chuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsip
...didn't we sign a free agent from the Patriots?...thought I read that in one of the many other posts on this subject...

Michael Stone
Old 05-09-2006   #12
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10704 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss
I think we are really hurting at FreeSafety.... I think our corners are fine. 4-3, 3-4........ I don't think really matters for Buchannon........ the thing is that the front 7(regardless of front) has to do their job. Stop the run, and pressure the QB. If they can do that, and allow our FS to do his job....... coverage over the top, inside/outside help, then PB is going to shine. Last year, when he was pretty much playing like a safety(cueing in on the run, having to choose which route to cover), there really wasn't a lot that he could do.
PB provides good coverage, but he really plays the QB more than the WR.... which is why he gets beat, the way we played last year, but when the front 7 are doing their job, he'll get us a lot of turnovers too(INTs).

If the front 7 do their job, I bet you they stop throwing the ball to PBs side by mid season, maybe sooner, because he's going to hurt them.
I pretty much agree with this. A more forceful pass-rush will make our secondary look WAY better. Even D-Rob will look better
Old 05-09-2006   #13
LBC_Justin
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 LBC_Justin is a Pro BowlerLBC_Justin is a Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by blockhead83
The only half-way decent free agent CB's left are Ahmed Plummer and Ty Law, and we haven't brought either in for a look and I doubt we will. Casserly had a thing for PBuc when he was coming out of college, and he obviously still thought he had a chance to be a good corner when he traded a 2nd and 3rd choice for the guy based on the 3 games of tape he looked at. I think Buchanon could be better in the 4-3 than he was in the 3-4, but I'm not holding out hope for him to even play at a "good" level. I'll settle for mediocre, anything's better than watching him get picked on consistently like last year. I'm fairly certain they're planning to go into the season with the current roster in the secondary, which is surprising, but hopefully an improved pass rush will help take the focus off of how pitiful our secondary is aside of DRob.
ummm our secondary isn't that bad. In fact it is one of the better groups in the league. When you have the worst pass rush in the NFL what could you expect. We probably ranked around 30th in sack but if you watch the film we were even worse than that, we very rarely ever put the opposing QB under "stress". Lets be honest even D-Rob didn't look that good last year. P-Buc will look like a new man if we start pressuring the QB.

As all the NFL experts always say. "You show me a great secondary and I'll show you a great pass rush right in front of them."
LBC_Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006   #14
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

the problem with our defensive backfield is that both our starting safties are good against the run and poor against the pass...then pbuc is who is just too much of a moody player for me...he'll tackle when he wants to but that's too far and between to be a starter...faggins just doesn't have the talent IMO to be a starting corner right now...if he continues to develop he might be a decent starter at corner but right now i see our needs for next year being a number 2 corner and a starting FS along with a MLB
Old 05-09-2006   #15
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249374 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SESupergenius
I wonder how long it's going to be before Buchanon starts blaming somebody that he's not used right in the 4-3.
Aww c'mon man, give him a few games to at least see if it gets any better before you start picturing him in full-on blame mode.

I'm hoping that an increase in pressure makes Buchanon start to look a lot better. I don't expect miracles to happen but I'm thinking he'll be pretty good if the line is bringing pressure and it should since they're now our teams self-proclaimed "strength".
Old 05-09-2006   #16
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1340 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected

I think we'll see more man coverage this year. It seemed like there was a lot of standing around last year. And maybe we'll finally see our best cover DB on the opposing team's best WR.

On a related note...

Texans | K. Curtis named NFL Europe's Defensive Player of the Week
Tue, 9 May 2006 07:32:37 -0700

NFLEurope.com reports Houston Texans S Kevin Curtis has been named NFL Europe's Defensive Player of Week 8 following an outstanding display during his Cologne Centurions 20-13 defeat of the league-leading Amsterdam Admirals.
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006   #17
tsip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 tsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVP

...from an AJ post about Kubiak comments at the luncheon...

"...and get used to the name Michael Stone. I thought he was just another name on the roster before today but Kubiak spoke very highly of him...."

Capers rarely spoke about particular players and 'what they brought to the table' or about decisions made during the course of a game. I believe Kubiak will give us fans more 'insight' into the 'nuts and bolts' of the team decision making process, including giving us specific info about our questions/concerns. So, while fans have concerns about the DB situation, I believe Kubiak is on top of it...
tsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006   #18
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14190 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I think as we get better we will see less and less of that though. I think at this point the Texans want us to know so that they can cover for the draft decision.

I believe that Kubiak saw alot of Michael Stone though so I'm sure he knows more than us about the dude.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006   #19
CoastalTexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 30 CoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to CoastalTexan

Anyone a Patriots fan and saw Stone play last year?
CoastalTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006   #20
Tayton
Veteran

Stone is listed as a SS we need a CB to play opposite D Rob. That position will be tested all year if we don't address it.
Tayton is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read