Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 05-08-2006   #1
baba ganoush
Veteran

Default Were are the Texans headed???

With all of our free agent pick ups all i can say is that the texans are headed in the right direction, and after the draft i can now see what they were trying to do...the AFC is loaded with good defenses and the Texans feel with thier pick up of Mario Williams and Anthony Weaver that they now have a defensive line that can get to the quarterback and with the additions of Sam Cowart and DeMeco Ryans the Texans can stop the run. With the addition of Eric Moulds the texans now have a chance to strech the field against opposing defenses. Mike Flanagan will help lead the texans with a solid line along with our new additions of Eric Winston and Charles Spencer...I know that alot of people are disappointed in the draft and at the organization, but they have me believing that the texans have a shot at the play-offs this year only because we lost alot of CLOSE game and were only bnlown out in a few...so anybody out there with tickets this season who dont want them please contact me...tell me were you think this team is headed!!!
Rule #7 - play like a champion!!!
baba ganoush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006   #2
dwilt72
Veteran

You've Gotta Be Kidding Me! Nowhere Close To The Playoffs!
dwilt72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006   #3
jaayteetx
Hall of Fame

Section: 623
Rep Power: 18937 jaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwilt72
You've Gotta Be Kidding Me! Nowhere Close To The Playoffs!
Stranger things have happened, remember the Chargers a couple years back? Everybody thought they were going to be the worst team in the league, but they made it to the playoffs. Realistically, I don't see the Texans making it this year. I don't think it is totally out of the question, either. Go Texans!!!
Old 05-08-2006   #4
whiskeyrbl

I seriously doubt we make the playoffs, however I do think we will win our share of games and with a few upsets maybe a 100-1 shot we make the playoffs. Maybe a year or two. But I do think with a lil' help we can post a 10-6 record,but more realisticly 6-10 to 8-8.
Old 05-08-2006   #5
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Definitely not out of the Question. IT all depends on how agressive Kubiak wants to be. We've definitely got the playmakers to stretch the field, and make big plays.... AJ, Moulds, Putz, Mathis..... and we've got a running game to open up play action, keep defenses off the field, and eat up clock.

We got two first round corners.......(just wait and see), two hard hitting safeties, smart fast linebackers, and a defensive line rotation to pressure the QB on every down.

I'm optomistic...... very optomistic.

In '05, the only thing keeping us out of the endzone, was our coaches, and their conservative offense. (yeah, David took a few sacks but that's another story).

This team........ the team we'll put on the field will be capable of averaging over 24 points/game.
Old 05-08-2006   #6
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TexanFan881

If we play like our team is capable of I believe we have a shot of making the playoffs. We have a good team and I believe we have good players and I think under the right coaching system (which I believe we have now considering everything Kubiak will be calling the offensive plays and he did a great job with Denver's offense and Richard Smith did a pretty good job with Miami's defense last year). I am one of those people who believe that we misused some of our players and that they could do much better this year on offense and on defense with the switch to 4-3. I think our only problem last year on offense is we didn't give David any time to throw and with bringing in a great center like Mike Flanagan and adding people in the draft along with Mike Sherman we have definately fixed our offensive problems and we will have a very scary offense, that is, for the opposing defenses. We have the pieces, all we have to do is put them together and we will be successful.
Old 05-08-2006   #7
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 52595 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

the chargers in 2003 went 4-12. in 2004 they replace 4 offensive lineman, 1 d-lineman (in a 3-4), and an outside LB (essentially a DE), and went 12-4.

a turnaround of that magnitude isnt impossible. we've basically done the same thing by entirely altering our offensive line and severely upgrading our pass rush. in the salary cap era we've created almost an entirely new team, and have built this team in the trenches as it should be. a playoff birth is within reach (and this is the first time i've even considered that thought). there's still a long way to go, so i wont go so far as to get my hopes up of something that dramatic, but i fully expect to win those extra 4 games that capers lost last season, along with atleast 3 or 4 more because of the upgraded OVERALL TEAM TALENT level and solid coaching. 8-8, at the very least, is within our reach.
Old 05-08-2006   #8
blockhead83
All Pro

Send a message via AIM to blockhead83

I do agree we've had what appears to be a great off-season.....on paper. Unfortunately, the real NFL isn't like madden where you can plug in a new player and get instant gratification. The Texans are in somewhat of a rebuilding stage, but our addition of solid veteran leadership should accelerate things somewhat. I think this team will be headed to the playoffs....next season. They may surprise everyone and pull out a good start to the season, but I think we're going to end up in the 6-10 neighborhood.

While the veterans we've picked up seem solid, we still haven't proven we can block anybody, we still haven't proven we can sack the quarterback, and maybe most importantly, David Carr still hasn't proven he can be an effective quarterback in the NFL. If Kubiak and his staff can get some production out of those 3 areas, we have the chance to be an average team this year. If we have another solid off-season next year, we may have gelled enough as a team and have enough talent at that time to actually push for a playoff spot. All of this is highly questionable because if Carr really is a bust, we're more than likely going to have to search for a new quarterback next year and go through that lengthy process again.

It's really easy to become accustomed to the new personnel your team has acquired and let your imagination get the best of you. Even undrafted rookies seem to have impressive resume's. There isn't a player in the NFL who didn't seem like a god in highschool football, or like atleast a good college player. You never know how that's going to translate until they step on the field. Just remember we were the worst team in the league next year, and every team in the league started the off-season ahead of us and they can all make the case that they've improved as well.
blockhead83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read