Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read


Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2006   #1
Texian
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,660
Rep Power: 57885 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Gut Instinct tells me Mario was the RIGHT PICK

There are 117 ranked NCAA Div I defenses. Here are the rankings for USC opponenets for 2005: Total Defense/Rushing Defense/Bush Rushing Yards

Hawaii 102/98/86
Arkansas 34/35/125
Oregon 44/39/122
Arizona St 114/89/158
Arizona 86/93/110
Notre Dame 75/34/160
Washington 94/49/51
Wash St 106/65/97
Stanford 105/70/82
California 46/24/82
Fresno 38/60/294
UCLA 113/116/260
Texas 10/33/84

My initial thought is how bad the defense is in the Pac 10. Bush rushed for 554 yds against two teams, both were ranked in the bottom half and UCLA was next to last. Without these two games I don't think Bush wins the Heisman. With All Conference and 2nd and 3rd Team All American sitting on the bench as backups in the NFL I don't think Bush will find it as easy as the soft Pac 10. I am glad to have Mario Williams. My gut instinct tells me this was the RIGHT PICK.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006   #2
TexanBorn51
Veteran
 
TexanBorn51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: San Antonio
Age: 63
Posts: 296
Rep Power: 1327 TexanBorn51 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBorn51 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBorn51 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBorn51 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBorn51 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBorn51 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBorn51 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBorn51 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBorn51 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBorn51 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBorn51 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

Wow great post never really saw it that way although i see it other ways too and I was always comfortable with the pick. Like they say, "You gotta have guts." texflag:
TexanBorn51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006   #3
DeadEagle
Rookie
 
DeadEagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Canada
Age: 31
Posts: 4
Rep Power: 0 DeadEagle is ridin' the pine
Default

Bush could be the bust of the 2006 draft.

I really hate it when media labels a guy "can't miss" or "future HOF'er". To that I say Tony Mandarich and Quentin Coryatt.

With Bush, there are alot of red flags for such a great player. First and foremost are the weak defenses that he put huge numbers on. Secondly is the fact that LenDale White was the starter at USC. Third, is his bad habit of always bouncing runs to the sideline and burning college defenders.

I could go into depth, but I'm sure this has been beaten to death.

In truth, I thought Kubiak & Co. were targeting D'Brickashaw Ferguson, most likely in a trade down scenario, and even at #1 overall if that was impossible.
DeadEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006   #4
gtexan02
Working?
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Boston
Age: 31
Posts: 15,719
Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadEagle
Bush could be the bust of the 2006 draft.

I really hate it when media labels a guy "can't miss" or "future HOF'er". To that I say Tony Mandarich and Quentin Coryatt.

With Bush, there are alot of red flags for such a great player. First and foremost are the weak defenses that he put huge numbers on. Secondly is the fact that LenDale White was the starter at USC. Third, is his bad habit of always bouncing runs to the sideline and burning college defenders.

I could go into depth, but I'm sure this has been beaten to death.

In truth, I thought Kubiak & Co. were targeting D'Brickashaw Ferguson, most likely in a trade down scenario, and even at #1 overall if that was impossible.
#1 Bush put up good numbers every year he played at USC. He may not have rushed for as many yards, but he never averaged less than 5.8 yards per carry and USC didn't play terrible defenses the whole time they were there. Number 2, LenDale White was never the starter at USC. He was the goaline back and short yardage guy. The only reason you say that is because you only watched the Rose Bowl. #3, the only reason you think he bounced every run outside is, again, because all you saw were the highlights. If you watch his everyday games, you'd see he runs in a similar, cut back through the hole style.

Maybe he's too small, maybe he's not fast enough, etc etc, but there are NO players who are sure things. Everything about RB running against weak defense could be said about Mario getting sacks against weak offenses. Heck, 13.5 of his sacks came in the last 5 games and multiple 3 sack games were against terrible teams.

Fact is, both of these guys are pretty sure bets. RB AVERAGED 8.7 yards per carry against PAC-10 defenses, whether they were good or bad. Thats still pretty amazing. Just like Williams 13.5 sacks in 5 games is pretty amazing, even if against poor teams
__________________
Drinking the kool aid
gtexan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006   #5
Specter
Rookie
 
Specter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Houston
Age: 32
Posts: 54
Rep Power: 9 Specter is ridin' the pine
Default

YEAH, this really was a great post. Really good research 2.
Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006   #6
Specter
Rookie
 
Specter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Houston
Age: 32
Posts: 54
Rep Power: 9 Specter is ridin' the pine
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02
Number 2, LenDale White was never the starter at USC. He was the goaline back and short yardage guy. The only reason you say that is because you only watched the Rose Bowl.

how can you say that Lendale was a "short yardage guy"?? Do most short yardage guys pick up 1300 rush yards and have 200 attempts per year???
Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006   #7
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame
 
TexansTrueFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Huntsville Tx
Age: 29
Posts: 2,600
Rep Power: 13 TexansTrueFan is a team player
Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan
Default

well some NCAA starts cant adjust to the faster pace-more competition that the NFL brings to young stars. I mean there have been many of sure bets come out of college who have done nothing in their professional careers. IMO i dont see bush beign near the star he is expected to be at the professional level. Size could be an issue, i think he would make a better NFL reciever than RB !!!
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-07-2006   #8
gtexan02
Working?
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Boston
Age: 31
Posts: 15,719
Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specter
how can you say that Lendale was a "short yardage guy"?? Do most short yardage guys pick up 1300 rush yards and have 200 attempts per year???
Ok, so he wasn't just short yardage and redzone, but it was always clear from watching the games that Reggie was #1, and White was #2. Reggie was on the field much more often than White was, because they would split reggie out when they gave White the ball. The only time Reggie was the legitimate #2 option was when White got the nod in the Rose Bowl, for whatever reason (which ended up costing him the #1 spot I think)
__________________
Drinking the kool aid
gtexan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006   #9
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame
 
TexansTrueFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Huntsville Tx
Age: 29
Posts: 2,600
Rep Power: 13 TexansTrueFan is a team player
Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02
Ok, so he wasn't just short yardage and redzone, but it was always clear from watching the games that Reggie was #1, and White was #2. Reggie was on the field much more often than White was, because they would split reggie out when they gave White the ball. The only time Reggie was the legitimate #2 option was when White got the nod in the Rose Bowl, for whatever reason (which ended up costing him the #1 spot I think)

maybe cause USC knew texas had to fast of a defense for reggie to bounce outside,,,so they put a more power runner in so they might do some damage up the middle,,,,,not much will change about the speed and strength of the defenses in the nfl,,,,,so i hope bush can handle it.
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006   #10
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame
 
TexanFan881's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Illinois
Age: 24
Posts: 2,801
Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TexanFan881
Default

The defenses could be ranked worse because they played Reggie Bush and USC but I highly doubt it. Reggie will be a bust if he is just a good player considering all the hype he has been given and being the next Gale Sayers and everything. If he doesn't live up to the hype, he will be a bust. Even though Mario Williams is defainitely going to have to have a better season than Reggie this year to prove him a better pick than Reggie a year from now, he does not have to live up to being a great hall of famer (even though I think I have heard him somewhat compared to Reggie White). It will take more from Reggie than Mario to not be a bust. I think that Mario will be a great player for us and just as good as Reggie and that Reggie was hyped so much because he was an all around player. He was a RB, WR, and a KR. We didn't need a WR and a KR so here he would have been just a RB and his value to us was not as much as it could have been for any other team that wanted him in the league.
__________________
Proud Adoptee Of Our Future Starting Running Back Chris Taylor
TexanFan881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006   #11
BigTimeTexanFan
All Pro
 
BigTimeTexanFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Houston
Posts: 587
Rep Power: 1965 BigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

Although he didn't play as much as most people think he should have, didn't he still average something like 6 yards a carry against Texas??? So to say that he can't play against a good defense is probably inaccurate. I will, however, refrain from bashing Reggie because he IS a phenomenal athlete and very well could be the next comeing of Barry Sanders. I will also refrain from labeling him as a sure pick because there is nothing sure about the draft except that everyone has the chance of being a bust. That's why it is so frustrating to see everyone bash any org. because NOBODY knows for sure how a player will turn out
BigTimeTexanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006   #12
Exascor
Hall of Fame
 
Exascor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Atascocita
Posts: 1,587
Rep Power: 35348 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian
I am glad to have Mario Williams.
Me too but...your research is incomplete and biased. You researched something to justify NOT picking Bush. If you are going to use the weakness of the PAC 10 defenses to discount Bush (how good were the D's Marshall Faulk played against anyways?) then you need to show how strong the offenses for the ACC were to make Mario the correct pick. Given that 2 of his front 7 team mates were also picked in the first round they should have a top 5 defense right? If not then he must be a potential bust right?

Honestly, I couldn't care less because I don't need to justify a decision that can't be undone anyways. Mario is a Texan and Bush is a Saint. Right or wrong, the decision is made and I'll support the team.
__________________
Texans v3.0 - Currently in alpha testing - Expected release date 9/7/2014
Exascor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006   #13
SBTexans08
All Pro
 
SBTexans08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: 3rd Coast
Age: 34
Posts: 677
Rep Power: 11 SBTexans08 is ridin' the pine
Send a message via MSN to SBTexans08
Default

Well...IMO....Casserly does pretty damn good in the first round picks.

Here's a Texans fact:

Before South Carolina's Dunta Robinson in 2004, the last SEC cornerback taken in the first round of the NFL draft was Georgia's Champ Bailey by Washington in 1999. Charley Casserly, the general manager who selected Robinson, was the Redskins GM who chose Bailey, too.

I think, in retrospect....Casserly gets an A for his first rounders....it's 2nd to later picks that have been pretty lackluster.
__________________
MY XBOX 360 GAMER PROFILE
SBTexans08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006   #14
thunderkyss 
& so it begins
 
thunderkyss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Texas
Age: 42
Posts: 34,943
Rep Power: 260728 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default

I agree, the research from this in the original Post, is incomplete at best.

I also believe that GK simply would rather have Mario Williams on his team, rather than Reggie Bush. Not because Reggie can't make it in the NFL.... that's just about the goofiest thing anyone can say(which is why you won't hear any of the talking heads say anything to suggest such). But we've got an offense. We've always had an offense. Conservative playcalling and injuries have been our problem on Offense...... Defensively, we needed playmakers.
__________________
thunderkyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006   #15
The Preacher
Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Age: 43
Posts: 429
Rep Power: 10 The Preacher is ridin' the pine
Default

RB has great skills no doubt and may run like Sayers with great speed, vision, and cut-back ability. Too bad he's playing several decades later where defenses are much bigger and faster. He will have some great runs but he will be contained more often than not. All I can say is good luck Reggie because apparently you've dug yourself a hole and most LB's who take you down are going to try to get in your head by calling you a cheat. And is going to be on a mission.
The Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006   #16
TexanFanInCC
Hall of Fame
 
TexanFanInCC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Richmond / Corpus Christi
Age: 29
Posts: 1,326
Rep Power: 11 TexanFanInCC is a team player
Send a message via AIM to TexanFanInCC Send a message via Yahoo to TexanFanInCC
Default

i think the pick really is the best one. everybody is too busy getting pissed at CC, but do they really know what goes on behind the scenes? to me it seems like CC and mcNair really did their homework when they made the mario pick. i just cant see them going with mario if they truly didnt do the research on mario. they musta seen something in mario that they felt he would definitely not be a flop in the NFL....and besides, defense does win championships, and under kubiaks system, domanick davis may put up the best numbers of his young career next season. he's really trying to copy denvers offense, and so far, he's getting close to having a replica.
__________________
wishlist: DT, SS, CB, FS ....see the trend? (recipe for greatness)
TexanFanInCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006   #17
Vinny
shiny happy fan
 
Vinny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Age: 50
Posts: 21,845
Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBTexans08
Well...IMO....Casserly does pretty damn good in the first round picks.

Here's a Texans fact:

Before South Carolina's Dunta Robinson in 2004, the last SEC cornerback taken in the first round of the NFL draft was Georgia's Champ Bailey by Washington in 1999. Charley Casserly, the general manager who selected Robinson, was the Redskins GM who chose Bailey, too.

I think, in retrospect....Casserly gets an A for his first rounders....it's 2nd to later picks that have been pretty lackluster.
Casserly has only really struggled in rounds 2 and 3 as he tried to get too cute with those picks. His first round and second day picks have been solid.
__________________
http://twitter.com/#!/TexansTalk


"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006   #18
aj.
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 4,769
Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

...and as we now know, maybe it wasn't just Casserly getting cute the last few years. It's become quite evident over the past few months that he wasn't really playing the role of the strong GM as most of us thought he was. It's his job to scout and rank but when it comes to acquisition, his coaches have as much or more decision making power as he does (in terms of who to get - not necessarily the price that's paid). This is consistent with what we saw happen with him and Norv in DC.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006   #19
thunderkyss 
& so it begins
 
thunderkyss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Texas
Age: 42
Posts: 34,943
Rep Power: 260728 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Preacher
RB has great skills no doubt and may run like Sayers with great speed, vision, and cut-back ability. Too bad he's playing several decades later where defenses are much bigger and faster. He will have some great runs but he will be contained more often than not.
it's those few nots, that will define Reggie Bush....... 80 yard touchdown runs... 85 yard TD receptions (80 yards after the catch).....

But it doesn't matter, as long as we do our job on Offense...... Reggie's career will in no way effect Casserly's/Kubiak's decision to pick Mario.
__________________
thunderkyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006   #20
Bullpen Drew
All Pro
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Austin
Age: 43
Posts: 737
Rep Power: 10 Bullpen Drew is ridin' the pine
Default

The goal was to get the points against our defense to decrease....

Offense should have no problem scoring with the addition of Moulds.

We definetly needed a pass rusher. One week has gone by and the crying has stopped....

This pick is making more sense.
__________________
Our time is coming.....

BTW, Try the Bullpen Drew BBQ joint! Our motto...

"Nobody beats my meat!"
Bullpen Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger