Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-07-2006   #1
ClintonPortis26
Rookie

Default One of the possible reasons Casserly didnt pick RB.

Desmond Howard/HB/Michigan

He was suppose to be a "Cant Miss Prospect" Here in Washington. He was the Heisman Trophy Winner and you could utilize him both in Run/Pass/KR/PR game. The only thing he did in his career was help the Green Bay packers an return KR for them. He was suppose to be THE RUNNING BACK" Of the Redskins and really screwed us over...along with Heath Shuler, Micheal Westbrook, and Andre Johnson but thats a diffrent story...

Just was thinking of the reasons why Charlie Casserly might of passed on him...

Anway, I think Charlie could of picked either Reggie Bush or Mario Williams and make the right choice. Especially with the Colts and Vince Young and the Titans in your division.
Old 05-07-2006   #2
BigDTexansFan
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClintonPortis26

Anway, I think Charlie could of picked either Reggie Bush or Mario Williams and make the right choice. Especially with the Colts and Vince Young and the Titans in your division.

Super Mario was only choice with Colts and Jacksonville in our division...harass and distract until he gives DRob 10 picks
Old 05-07-2006   #3
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Casserly "passed" on Bush because he and Kubiak thought Mario Williams was the best player for this team, and I agree with them on that.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006   #4
HeroTime
Rookie

Quote:

He was suppose to be a "Cant Miss Prospect" Here in Washington. He was the Heisman Trophy Winner and you could utilize him both in Run/Pass/KR/PR game. The only thing he did in his career was help the Green Bay packers an return KR for them. He was suppose to be THE RUNNING BACK" Of the Redskins and really screwed us over...along with Heath Shuler, Micheal Westbrook, and Andre Johnson but thats a diffrent story...

Minor error. Desmond Howard was a WR not a RB. Now back to your regular program.
HeroTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006   #5
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 67576 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

http://www.houstonprofootball.com/scout/scout132.html

here is another one
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006   #6
Napa Auto Parts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Napa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden cover

dont mean to stir up the pot but the only reason and i mean the only reason we passed on bush was money dont get me wrong i love the pick i never wanted bush. but like i said it was all about money.
Napa Auto Parts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006   #7
LORK 88
Wreck'em Ŧech!

Rep Power: 202 LORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to LORK 88

Because Kubiak is an offensive minded coach and has made studs out of decent RBs. He can work magic on our offense, but he needs better players on defense to help him out in that area.
Old 05-07-2006   #8
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TexanFan881

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorKnolle
Casserly "passed" on Bush because he and Kubiak thought Mario Williams was the best player for this team, and I agree with them on that.
I think that's a more reasonable reason
Old 05-07-2006   #9
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

ORRRRR,,,,A BIG ORRRR ,,,,MAYBE just MAYBE its cause the Front Office thought we already had a very good young RB. I mean that could have been a possibility,,,ya think !!!!!!!!!!!!!
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006   #10
LORK 88
Wreck'em Ŧech!

Rep Power: 202 LORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to LORK 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansTrueFan
ORRRRR,,,,A BIG ORRRR ,,,,MAYBE just MAYBE its cause the Front Office thought we already had a very good young RB. I mean that could have been a possibility,,,ya think !!!!!!!!!!!!!
What? No Way!! Whats Domanick Davis done other than come 24 yards shy of being 1 of only 5 players in NFL History to rush for 1000 yards in their 1st 3 seasons . . .
Old 05-07-2006   #11
ClintonPortis26
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansTrueFan

A very good running back is Cadillac Williams, Ronnie Brown, Reggie Bush, Clinton Portis(24). Plus its not like Dominic Davis is not inreplaceable hes so good homer...

Im not trying to stir anything up, I just posted why I thought he might of done it. Then over emotional people like this come and start being sarcastic and start pissin me off.

Back on subject.
Old 05-07-2006   #12
LoneStarState
Veteran

We're probably going to wishing we'd drafted some sort of RB about 1/2 through the season when DD goes down for whatever reason. Not trying to stir the pot - just going with what's happened during every season DD's been on the team...
Old 05-07-2006   #13
MadBurgerMaker
Rookie

Rep Power: 15 MadBurgerMaker could be on the next Madden coverMadBurgerMaker could be on the next Madden coverMadBurgerMaker could be on the next Madden coverMadBurgerMaker could be on the next Madden coverMadBurgerMaker could be on the next Madden coverMadBurgerMaker could be on the next Madden cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarState
We're probably going to wishing we'd drafted some sort of RB about 1/2 through the season when DD goes down for whatever reason. Not trying to stir the pot - just going with what's happened during every season DD's been on the team...
The Texans drafted Wali Lundy, RB from Virginia.

Edit: Oh..and dont forget about Morency. He'll be there if DD gets injured.
MadBurgerMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006   #14
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
He was suppose to be a "Cant Miss Prospect"

IMO, when looking at a prospect, especially #1 overall.... you can't look at the "bust factor"....... You look at him.. & decide if you can use what he has to win football games.

It's up to that team, to put the prospect in a position to succeed. Now you have the headcases..... Rikki Williams..... and the players who refuse to take their game to the next level........ Desmond Howard........ fast... elusive...... didn't want to run routes, or learn to catch.

Looking at Reggie, most people are thinking he's ready. He doesn't have much, if anything to learn.

Looking at Mario...... he's got it all..... Power... Speed.....versatility.... He too brings something to the game, that will help win football games. Also, a #1 prospect.

I think there was an interview of McNair(I don't have the link) where he says it was Kubiaks decision.... He said Kubiak put his coaches in two different rooms. Told them to put together an offensive & a deffensive package..... he said to show him what the team would look like with that player, and then what it would look like without.

There was a bigger gap in the deffensive package with/without Mario. He decided to pick Mario with the #1 overall.

We will score points guys..... & we will win games without Reggie Bush.
Old 05-07-2006   #15
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
A very good running back is Cadillac Williams, Ronnie Brown, Reggie Bush, Clinton Portis(24). Plus its not like Dominic Davis is not inreplaceable hes so good homer...

Im not trying to stir anything up, I just posted why I thought he might of done it. Then over emotional people like this come and start being sarcastic and start pissin me off.

Back on subject.
Domanicks Rookie year was better than all those guys.

Except Clinton Portis...... but he was in Denver.

DD is also a little more verstile than Clinton.... in just three years, DD has more recieving yards than Clintion has in 4.

Clinton's the man.... I won't deny.. he's amazing..... fast..... explosive.... but DD is just as good.. but different.... not as fast... not as explosive, but he'll get you the same yards... and maybe a little more. Maybe.
Old 05-07-2006   #16
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss

DD is also a little more verstile than Clinton.... in just three years, DD has more recieving yards than Clintion has in 4.

Clinton's the man.... I won't deny.. he's amazing..... fast..... explosive.... but DD is just as good.. but different.... not as fast... not as explosive, but he'll get you the same yards... and maybe a little more. Maybe.
Given all of the film he has watched, I bet Kubiak knows that too.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006   #17
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 67576 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

I honestly believe that we had to go to the trenches in the draft sooner or later.. It is a double edge sword for this franchise, we continue to draft skill positions early on and all through the season we gripe about the OL/DL.. but when we draft that way we are griping about not getting a skill position player...

it is basically a no-win situation when you are losing
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006   #18
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss

yeah very good post. I mean D.D a 4th round no body to what he is now,,,,thats a real success story,,,plus he is AWESOME !!!!
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006   #19
TexanBorn51
Veteran

Rep Power: 1327 TexanBorn51 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBorn51 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBorn51 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBorn51 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBorn51 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBorn51 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBorn51 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBorn51 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBorn51 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBorn51 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBorn51 is a quality contributor and well respected

I remember reading this editorial in a magazine named Slate(Slate.com). Take it for what it's worth...for better or for worse. I think it's better energy worrying about keeping Carr from getting hurt than DD.

Empty Backfield
Why running backs are overrated.
By Aaron Schatz Posted Wednesday, Sept1,2004, at 5:00 PM ET

It's guys like you, Ricky, who are overrated

When Ricky Williams retired last month, it was thought to be a massive blow to the Miami Dolphins. After all, in his two years with the team, Williams ran for 3,225 yards and carried the ball more times than an NFL running back ever had in a two-year period. Even so, Miami should consider itself lucky to be rid of him. If the Dolphins can get over the emotional hurdle of losing their workhorse, they'll soon figure out that he wasn't as important as they thought. That's because the star running back is the most overrated player in football.
Everywhere you look, the running back is exalted. Coaches and announcers talk about the importance of giving the ball to a star runner early and late in the game. Fantasy football, typically structured to make running backs far and away the most important players, leaves fans obsessed with identifying the next "stud back."

But in reality, a good passing game is always more important than a good running game
TexanBorn51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006   #20
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanBorn51
But in reality, a good passing game is always more important than a good running game
Now that's just silly. You want to win championships?? You have to run the ball, and you have to be able to stop the run.

Something the Colts forget in the post season.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read