Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-05-2006   #1
dat_boy_yec
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 dat_boy_yec is on the Pro-Bowl ballotdat_boy_yec is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Default Thoughts and questions on Defense

I wanted to be clear on some things so I started this thread to get other ppl's thoughts and get an idea of what to expect. Here goes. Another thread alluded to Weaver playing DT. They cited their source as Justice's blog so I don't know about the validity. The way I see it is you have a bunch of highly paid d-linemen, so if you make this move your basically just wasting money. This is how I see the D lining up most of the time.

Williams/ TJ/ Smith/ Weaver
Ryans/ Cowart/ Greenwood

I think something alot of us are overlooking is that Smith said we would see 3-4 fronts as well. Which is why Weaver was such a good fit. He knows both systems. So if we had 3-4 lining up it would look like this.

TJ/ Smith/ Weaver
Peek/Ryans/ Cowart/Greenwood

That would work as well. I doubt they would use Mario in the same capacity as Peek though I will admit the thought has crossed my mind. However the thing I see is Weaver is a DE not a tackle. I can understand moving Mario inside because he's had experience at that position and takes advantages of mismatches, but I don't think that would be done too much in our system. Weaver though has no NFL experience at tackle. You bring the guy in to be what he is not to take away his effectiveness by tinkering. I don't get where the idea that he should play DT is coming from, but I disagree with it I don't really see the merit in doing so.-
dat_boy_yec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006   #2
dat_boy_yec
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 dat_boy_yec is on the Pro-Bowl ballotdat_boy_yec is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Also on passing downs I've heard the idea that both Williams and Weaver will move inside. I can't understand the logic behind this. You have three capable tackles on the roster (well, paid at that) yet for a good percentage of that time you want to sit not one but 2 tackles so the DE's can get inside. I don't think that makes much sense. 1st it is a dead givaway to the offense how you want to play the down. Taking to players out like that is conspicous (I know I misspelled that) Second Mario is a good pass rusher so really if you sent in Peek or Babin in for Weaver you would still have a good pass rush. If you were determined to play Weaver or Williams at tackle only one of them shifting should suffice. Making the line look like this.

Peek/Williams/Smith/ Weaver

or the one I think is more effective

Williams/ TJ/ Smith/ Peek

Also on passing downs you could use the 3-4 alignment and without taking any players put pressure on the opposing offense. Imagine this.

Third and long and this is the line up you see.

TJ/ Smith/ Weaver
Williams/ Ryans/ Cowart/ Greenwood

Not only does the QB have to adjust but it also throws off the line protection. TJ would occupy the tackle or TE giving Williams the opportunity to get a clear shot at the QB. I'm not saying this it the only way it would work or that it would have to be, but you open up your options without making it so complicated for the players.You could also blitz with Greenwood or any of the other linebackers. The fact that the offense has no clue where the extra man may come from gives us a huge advantage. Using a hybrid Defense also gives us the freedom to adjust to how we go about gameplanning for opponents. Maybe I'm not making sense to some people, but I think these line-ups would take more advantage of our talent than expected. Any thoughts.
Old 05-05-2006   #3
real

I like this as our primary Defense:

Robinson...............Weaver/Johnson/Smith/Williams...............Buchanon/???
................................... Wong/Cowart/Ryans

..................................C.C/???................???

With greenwood,peek and the rest as subs...
Old 05-05-2006   #4
wicked_wayz
all blacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by dat_boy_yec
Also on passing downs I've heard the idea that both Williams and Weaver will move inside. I can't understand the logic behind this. You have three capable tackles on the roster (well, paid at that) yet for a good percentage of that time you want to sit not one but 2 tackles so the DE's can get inside. I don't think that makes much sense. 1st it is a dead givaway to the offense how you want to play the down. Taking to players out like that is conspicous (I know I misspelled that) Second Mario is a good pass rusher so really if you sent in Peek or Babin in for Weaver you would still have a good pass rush. If you were determined to play Weaver or Williams at tackle only one of them shifting should suffice. Making the line look like this.

Peek/Williams/Smith/ Weaver

or the one I think is more effective

Williams/ TJ/ Smith/ Peek

Also on passing downs you could use the 3-4 alignment and without taking any players put pressure on the opposing offense. Imagine this.

Third and long and this is the line up you see.

TJ/ Smith/ Weaver
Williams/ Ryans/ Cowart/ Greenwood

Not only does the QB have to adjust but it also throws off the line protection. TJ would occupy the tackle or TE giving Williams the opportunity to get a clear shot at the QB. I'm not saying this it the only way it would work or that it would have to be, but you open up your options without making it so complicated for the players.You could also blitz with Greenwood or any of the other linebackers. The fact that the offense has no clue where the extra man may come from gives us a huge advantage. Using a hybrid Defense also gives us the freedom to adjust to how we go about gameplanning for opponents. Maybe I'm not making sense to some people, but I think these line-ups would take more advantage of our talent than expected. Any thoughts.
i like the third and long lineup damnnnn i can already seen the holes for williams to take.
wicked_wayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006   #5
wicked_wayz
all blacks

Default we need peek in there somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx

id prefer to have peek rather than wong as he is a better play maker but other than that id like the luk of this line up.
wicked_wayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006   #6
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 209602 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx

Wong and Cowart will probably not be on the field at the same time. Ryans will probably play the weekside, and Greenwood will play on the strongside.
Weaver playing DT in a 4-3, closer to him playing DE in a 3-4, than playing DE in that 4-3.

Now, don't go too far into thinking about who will play where, or any of that right now. Kubiak has been talking about playing Weaver at DE, and moving him to tackle on occasion, since we signed him. It's these options that Kubiak likes about Weaver, Babin, Peek, & Williams.

Kubiak isn't thinkering with anything..... he's doing his job, and will put together the best package for us to win. He knows better than any of us, what this season means, what he has to work with, and if we really can win.

And get used to us wasting money....... Kubiak is going to put the best players he can on the field, regardless of salary.... Guys like Greenwood, and Smith, are going to eventually hurt us..... I don't think Kubiak likes their salary/position pay off. I think our payroll is going to look very different in the future. This notion of having to overpay to get talent in Houston is going to be a distant memory when this is all said and done. Players want to win... that starts with a winning attitude, and that starts with the coach..
Old 05-05-2006   #7
tsip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 tsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVP

"This notion of having to overpay to get talent in Houston is going to be a distant memory when this is all said and done. Players want to win... that starts with a winning attitude, and that starts with the coach.."

...exactly. 'nuff said.
tsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-05-2006   #8
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I see us possibly lining up in some situations where we look like we are running a 3-4 but really coming with a 4-3:

Peek...Weaver.....TJ......Smith

Ryans....Cowart.....Greenwood
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006   #9
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Orr is gonna win a starting LB spot this offseason.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006   #10
dat_boy_yec
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid
I think Orr is gonna win a starting LB spot this offseason.
I like Orr as well, we don't know what the line-up will look like until after preseason, but Wong more than likely won't be on the field on time and it looks like Ryans will earn a spot on the linebacking crew. I think there a few good combinations but like another poster said. The coaches will find the combination that works best. I just disagree with moving Weaver to the inside. He played DE his whole career, I don't see why they would want to shift him now.
Old 05-05-2006   #11
horn_omatic
Rookie

I think Kubiak is gonna let positions be decided by pratice, nit name or salary. There is a linebacker that everyone is missing, who i think will end up as a starter sometime during the year. The LB corp. may start out with Greenwood, Cowert and Ryans, but i think will end up Orr, Pierce and Ryans. I think Terry Pierce if givin the chance will be an excellent MLB.
Old 05-05-2006   #12
horn_omatic
Rookie

Pierce has only been in the league for 2 years. He went to k-state during the time when they had those bad *** defenses. Has great size for a MLB 6-2, 255 and he runs like a deer. I watched him alot being a ut fan, he damn near decapatated Chris Simms more than once. He fills holes very hard and can run sideline to sideline like a OLB. Great blitzer and a natural LB like Ryans. He was stuck behind Al Wilson at Denver and i think Kubiak brought him here for a reason! I'm telling you keep an eye on him!
Old 05-05-2006   #13
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7874 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

I would cream my pants if Orr was able to win a starting job and be on the field at the same time as Ryans
Old 05-06-2006   #14
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 153410 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss
Wong and Cowart will probably not be on the field at the same time. Ryans will probably play the weekside, and Greenwood will play on the strongside.
doooood....stop guessing so much and do some research before you post if you don't know. Greenwood is no sam linebacker. Greenwood is a Will, can play the Mike in a pinch, but isn't a Sam.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006   #15
Trapped
Veteran

Mario with his size and athleticism can prolly play OLB in 3-4, All four positions in the 4-3, and DE in the 3-4.

I would like to see us run a hybrid defense. alternating 4-3 and 3-4 as our base defense often. If we keep Payne, that's a reason for us to run a 3-4. I would like us to have a fresh dline at all times.
Trapped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006   #16
mancunian
Daleks Rule

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Rep Power: 833 mancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by horn_omatic
Pierce has only been in the league for 2 years. He went to k-state during the time when they had those bad *** defenses. Has great size for a MLB 6-2, 255 and he runs like a deer. I watched him alot being a ut fan, he damn near decapatated Chris Simms more than once. He fills holes very hard and can run sideline to sideline like a OLB. Great blitzer and a natural LB like Ryans. He was stuck behind Al Wilson at Denver and i think Kubiak brought him here for a reason! I'm telling you keep an eye on him!
He'll make the roster - he's a good solid player. Wouldn't surprise if he managed to beat Cowart to the ILB job.
mancunian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006   #17
mancunian
Daleks Rule

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Rep Power: 833 mancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by [[Gary Kubiak]]
Keep Payne, Cut Wade's ***!
Payne aint going anywhere we have only 3 DT's - Payne, Smith and TJ.
mancunian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006   #18
johndoe
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 johndoe was voted MVPjohndoe was voted MVPjohndoe was voted MVP

what i dont uderstand is people saying that orr is two small to play the sam linebacker hes listed at 6ft 250, dameco ryans weighs under 240. right now cowart is the predicted mike. i say we play ryans at mike, that would put orr(who busted his ass last year when everyone was giving up)at sam and the the best athlete-ryans at the middle backer. greenwood who had well over 100 tackles last year will play will. what are yalls thaughts and opinions.

greenwood-ryans-orr
johndoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006   #19
johndoe
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 johndoe was voted MVPjohndoe was voted MVPjohndoe was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by [[Gary Kubiak]]
Keep Payne, Cut Wade's ***!
bull
johndoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006   #20
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7874 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

I like any lineup that has Ryans and Orr starting

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read