Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-05-2006   #1
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 74340 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Interesting HPF article on draft day Blooper by our FO

Interesting because it does not argue whether or not Williams was the right pick, but whether the FO handled the decision making process correctly, citing that bringing in Williams like we did will elicit so much fan, media, and team pressure, that he may be set up to fail. They give comparisons to Carr, but personally, I think DE has less scrutiny than QB, and therefore should be OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF.com
So Williams will begin his Texan career on the same hot seat that Carr currently occupies, meaning he has to deliver yesterday in order to hold off the raging masses. If he doesn't, don't think we won't mention Bush's newest zip-and-zag dash to the goal line or Young's latest victory that he improbably pulled from the jaws of defeat. Because we will. The team has seen to it personally by screwing over another one of their first overall picks.
http://www.houstonprofootball.com/slant/slant69.html
Old 05-05-2006   #2
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Air Calvary? Is that a Middle Eastern airline or something?

Granted that the Texans had first choice of the three, like so many others who have either directly or indirectly piled on, the article is written with the assumption that Young and Bush will be highly successful and Mario is the one who needs to prove something.

With all due respect, the pressure is on all three young men and the respective orgs who selected them to prove something in the NFL, and do it at a very high level for a very long time.

Last edited by aj.; 05-05-2006 at 11:06 AM.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006   #3
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Its funny that a lot media and message board writers assume that Reggie's the next Barry Sanders / Gale Sayers and that Vince is the next Favre / Mcnabb but they will not entertain the idea of Mario being the next Bruce Smith / Julius Peppers . Mario's got to prove what he can do while the other two are all ready being enshrined .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006   #4
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Speaking of which ... and along those lines...

Here's an excerpt from an article I wrote several days ago .. although it wasn't picked up by anyone that I know of:

Quote:
... sure, after weeks of being conditioned to Reggie Bush highlights and imagining him in a Texans uniform and in the Denver … err … Texans offense, yes, I was as shocked and stunned as everyone else when I heard the news come down on Friday night.

Plus, after realizing that Vince Young wasn’t in the cards, Bush would have been the perfect tonic for the debacle that was 2-14 last season. There’s no question that Bush would have energized fans all over the city. Jerseys would have been flying off the racks, and Bush would have continued to electrify -- as long as he was able to play up to the hype.

But isn’t that a given? Isn’t Reggie already being fitted for an ugly yellow blazer (size 42 short) for his induction ceremony into the Hall of Fame?

The reality is that we’ll never know what could have been with Bush (Reggie at least) in Houston. And we won’t know how things will turn out in New Orleans until they happen. Reggie is sharing a backfield with Deuce McAllister, who at 230 lbs. is an entirely different type of back than Bush. Will they become the newest version of thunder and lightning? With Drew Brees, Joe Horn and Donte Stallworth in the mix, the Saints should have a very exciting offense.

But will Bush live up to the Barry Sanders hype?

Who knows, but if he does, then shame on Texans for making a terrible decision last Saturday. If he doesn’t, then won’t this massive hate and ridicule campaign by media and “fans” against the Texans just make us look even more stupid?

For years people were venting their spleens against the Texans for not being able to rush the passer or protect the passer. So what happens? The Texans go out and get the highest rated defensive pass rusher in the draft and follow it up by drafting the SEC defensive player of the year to bolster the front seven, and then follow that up by picking two outstanding offensive tackle prospects - and we revolt?

Yes, we revolt because the Texans didn’t pick Mr. Hollywood, aka the next Gale Sayers, Barry Sanders and Moses (and I’m not talking about J.J.) all rolled into one.

Nothing against Reggie, but I’m kind of a blue collar guy myself and what little I know about Mario Williams is that he is a humble kid – a very big and extremely talented kid - from a very small town in North Carolina. He’s beyond excited to be here and thanking his lucky stars every day just to get a chance to play in the NFL in front of us – and we act like this.

Playing football is about the only thing that Mario Williams cares about, unlike Reggie, who seems equally or more concerned about his marketability as he does his playbook....

Last edited by aj.; 05-05-2006 at 06:41 PM.
Old 05-05-2006   #5
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 74340 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.

Granted that the Texans had first choice of the three, like so many others who have either directly or indirectly piled on, the article is written with the assumption that Young and Bush will be highly successful and Mario is the one who needs to prove something.

With all due respect, the pressure is on all three young men and the respective orgs who selected them to prove something in the NFL, and do it at a very high level for a very long time.
I think the point they are trying to make in this article is that Reggie and Vince have to prove something during the season, but Williams has to prove something yesterday. People will watch Reggie and Vince, but allow them time and failures, while Williams mis-steps will be criticized on an instant. It isn't that only one of them has to prove himself, and it isn't that one of them isn't expected to succeed, its that when 1 of them fails (Williams), and they all will, but when Williams fails, he will be scrutinized much more ferociously then the other two. And, according to HPF, the Texans are at fault for that one

The media loves controversy, its what sells airtime and brings in the money. They will always try to make something out of nothing, and so even though everyone agress that all 3 of them will probably be superstars, the controversy of picking Williams first after what HPF believes to be smokescreening with Bush and Young, provides controversy. If the Saints had picked Williams #2, no one would be making the comparisons. Its only because we went out on a limb according to the media
Old 05-05-2006   #6
GoneTexan
Rookie

Thanks for sharing AJ and GREAT Article (hope it makes it out to the media).

Let's support our team and Go TEXANS!
GoneTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006   #7
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

The point that was wasted is that our team could have gone the easy route and drafted Vince . This would have pleased a lot of folks and sold jerseys and official VY clipboards while he watched . This while spending 75 million on QBs .

We could have picked media darling Reggie Bush and played it safe because if we fail the media will say " wow he was so good what happened " . Their would be a lot of jerseys sold also .

You cannot be great and not take risk and I for one applaud the Texans for walking the tight rope without a safety net . I believe that our first four picks have a chance to be the picks that help solidify our OL and be the cornerstone for the defense .

With Mario a workout freak and Demeco Ryans a smart intense player with huge intangibles , we may get the best mix since Reese's combined chocolate and peanut butter .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-05-2006   #8
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34
Its funny that a lot media and message board writers assume that Reggie's the next Barry Sanders / Gale Sayers and that Vince is the next Favre / Mcnabb but they will not entertain the idea of Mario being the next Bruce Smith / Julius Peppers . Mario's got to prove what he can do while the other two are all ready being enshrined .
yeah everyone has called houston dumb, but no one seems to have thought that in order for a team to pass up on a prospect like bush, that the player who was taken must be pretty damn good himself. but that's what you get from the media. it's not always about who wins the games, but who loses the games.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006   #9
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 78323 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

AJ's point is well taken.

The HPF's article's is not.

The draft is not just about a player. It is about gaming the system. It may be that the Texans wanted Mario all along and were hoping to trade down to get him and more.

Nobody would have believed we would take Leinart, so there was the hometown Vince thing, Bush, and Williams (a nobody would have complained about had we got a good trade down). You want to mentally prepare your fans, but at the same time, you wanted to see what the market might bring for the first pick.

We got kinda screwed with N.O. taking Brees, because their need for a QB wasn't as dire. So, there was no need to trade to #1 to get QB.

If we made it clear we wanted Williams, when everyone else said Bush was a no brainer, there is no incentive to trade with us for the #1 pick.

Teams have to walk a difficult line--one of doing what is right for the team (including trade downs if you can do it), but knowing that doing the right thing, and not being able to really prepare the fans for it, can make them cranky. This year, there was a perfect sheetstorm of circumstances that made it tough for the team (hometown guy, flashing "consensus 1" publicity guy), but you want to maintain the hype for the #1 pick if you want any value for it as a trade.

So, if that puts pressure on our first pick Mario, so be it. Pressure on top picks is silly anyway--it is difficult to be a rookie worth that much money in a cap era. But at the end of the day, I say pressure schmessure. It ain't like he is being shot at.
Texans_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006   #10
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

The impression I get from watching interviews with Mario, and how he has responded since that fateful Friday night, is that he feels he is worthy of being the first pick...of being picked BEFORE Bush.

And because of that--because of that confidence and unabashed swagger--I can't help but think that Mario has got what it takes to succeed.

I feel that the media's handling of this is more about selling papers and a whole lot less about calling it like it should be called. Two guys were at the top of the board. We didn't "reach," like Capers was famous for. We actually pulled off what most draft experts are calling "a great draft," and we've never been spoken of in those terms before.

We picked up two solid defensive guys in the first two rounds, and we picked up two solid o linemen back-to-back in the third. I've been watching every draft by the Texans, and I can honestly say that this draft "felt right," and I can't explain it with tangible evidence...but it just felt right, for the first time.

It felt like we were a Pitsburgh or a New England. It felt as though we were drafting not just players who were talented enough, but that we got players that will fit our current team needs and team philosophy. The other drafts felt like we were trying to be smarter than everyone else and grab up a guy who probably would have lasted a round or two later.

I dunno. I just think we did a heckuva' job...and it's the media's job to roast us even when we don't deserve it. It's what "they" do to Houston. NBA. MLB. NFL. If it's in Houston, it gets bashed 24-7. Unlike Dallas where the paper has never let their teams off a pedestal. You'd think they win titles every year the way they cover their sports teams.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006   #11
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34

i agree, its just sports politics though. I mean he does have alot of pressure on him, but who doesnt beign the # 1 pick, plus beign taken ahead of bush the one everyone wanted has to make it even more pressure. But he's a good football player and i have confidence he can be a big time play maker for us !
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006   #12
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 76955 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Great little article.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj
But isn’t that a given? Isn’t Reggie already being fitted for an ugly yellow blazer (size 42 short) for his induction ceremony into the Hall of Fame?
Great, just great.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006   #13
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Mario has a lot to prove, not him personaly on the field, but Mario the
pick made by the Texans. VY was the hugely sentimental pick of the Texans
by their fans here in Houston, and Bush was the huge consensus pick by everyone outside of the city, to include all the football experts. Remember,
the poll conducted by Mornings News journalist Gosselin had the vast majority of the NFL teams with Bush as the BPA. Mario was the very, very
distant #2 pick.
So the Texans pick has far more pressure to just not succeed, but succeed
at a high level so the organizations upset pick of Bush and VY can be justified.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006   #14
texplayer2
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.

V.Y. and Bush both played in at least one championship game and helped their teams avg.50pts. a game last year. Marios team with his Leadership was 7-5(3-5) in Conference. Who would have to prove they belonged at the next level more? Where is the greatest risk? The reason most articles are written that way is because a majority of them see it that way. Marios feat will be to prove the majority wrong in his career. And even if he is good and the other two are too he will never measure up for most people.
texplayer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006   #15
aj.
Hall of Fame

Freeney and Peppers' teams finished 3rd in the Big East and ACC respectively in 2001. So you can't be a great player unless you're on a great team?
Old 05-05-2006   #16
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 138002 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

to put it in a nutshell.. people have complained about lack of pass protection and lack of pass rush.. well we went that route (like AJ said) and people still want the fancy pick.. I mean at sometime we had to go ugly... .. It reminds me of the Oilers and there picks of steinkuhler,mathews and munchack in the 1st round.. people hated it because it wasn't a "showtime" pick.. but those trench guys set the tone.. I can only hope that TJ and MW and Ryans along with drob can make a defense that will hurt you.
Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006   #17
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 138002 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texplayer2
V.Y. and Bush both played in at least one championship game and helped their teams avg.50pts. a game last year. Marios team with his Leadership was 7-5(3-5) in Conference. Who would have to prove they belonged at the next level more? Where is the greatest risk? The reason most articles are written that way is because a majority of them see it that way. Marios feat will be to prove the majority wrong in his career. And even if he is good and the other two are too he will never measure up for most people.

what does that say about.Jay Cutler? ??
Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006   #18
Bobo
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02
Interesting because it does not argue whether or not Williams was the right pick, but whether the FO handled the decision making process correctly, citing that bringing in Williams like we did will elicit so much fan, media, and team pressure, that he may be set up to fail.
Couldn't you say the same thing about Bush or ANY guy the Texans picked? No matter who they chose, they would have been subject to the same kind of fan, media and team pressure just because they were #1 choices.
Bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006   #19
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15340 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

What was John Elway's college record?
Old 05-06-2006   #20
texplayer2
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf
what does that say about.Jay Cutler? ??
He did good in the senior bowl and Combine. As for VY or RB you can look at their teams production and success and directly correlate it to these players worth on draft day and beyond. MW will need to come in here and anchor our D. AND help our team win( which didn't happen in college). Much more pressure when you have to rely on others to score for you.
texplayer2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read