Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-05-2006   #1
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP
Default June 1 Cuts?

Who will we cut after June 1st? Payne and/or Wade? Someone else? How much dead money is that for 2006 and 2007?

Is there anyone we target that is a likely June 1 casualty? Hopefully a decent CB or FS is out there for us.
Old 05-05-2006   #2
mancunian
Daleks Rule

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Rep Power: 833 mancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOgre
Who will we cut after June 1st? Payne and/or Wade? Someone else? How much dead money is that for 2006 and 2007?

Is there anyone we target that is a likely June 1 casualty? Hopefully a decent CB or FS is out there for us.
Wade more likely than Payne. I think Payne will be kep on especially now that we have cut 2 DT's.

Wong is another possible cut.

Well Ty Law is still out there - but he is asking for a load of cash. He may have to lower his asking price.
mancunian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006   #3
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not sure if you see the big name guys go June 1st. Guys like Wong and Payne are supposed to be here to provide competition.

If these dudes are gone I think it will be later in camp.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006   #4
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 48121 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

I wouldn't be surprised to lose any of the following players come June 1:
Todd Wade (5.2 million)
Seth Payne (4.2 million)
Zach Wiegart (4.2 million)
Morlon Greenwood (3.9 million)
Kailee Wong (3.2 million)
Jason Babin (1.3 million)
Demarcus Faggins (1.3 million)
Mark Bruener (1.0 million)
Bennie Joppru (900k)

After that the salaries sorta drop, and so it doesn't make as much impact

PS: Im not sure what the cap hits would be for those guys granted their huge bonuses, so it may not be feasible to cut them all this year
Old 05-05-2006   #5
Trapped
Veteran

Wade, Payne, Wong, and Weigert are in jeopardy to lose their jobs this year. Those are 4 players that are in our top 10 paid and they are not even slated to start.

That's pretty much me stating the obvious.
Trapped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006   #6
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 139472 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Its hard to keep your job if don't produce for a 2-14 team and make a lot of money .
Old 05-05-2006   #7
Dime
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02
Todd Wade (5.2 million)
Seth Payne (4.2 million)
Bennie Joppru (900k)

PS: Im not sure what the cap hits would be for those guys granted their huge bonuses, so it may not be feasible to cut them all this year

ROFL.. cutting Babin. Why dont we cut Carr now too... Make sense about as much as cutting Babin
Old 05-05-2006   #8
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 48121 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dime
ROFL.. cutting Babin. Why dont we cut Carr now too... Make sense about as much as cutting Babin
This has actually been brought up recently, due to the draft of Williams. Depending on Peeks situation, we may have Williams, Weaver, kalu, Peek, Babin all making pretty decent money for 2 DE positions.
Old 05-05-2006   #9
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 35068 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

I think that Wade, Wong, Kris Brown and either Bruenner or Joppru will be the big contracts that could possibly be gone.
Old 05-05-2006   #10
wrestler4life
Veteran

I dont think that Wong will be cut unless he can't play with his injury. Too much veteran leadership.
wrestler4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006   #11
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5496 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

In a 4-3 5 DE isnt really that many. It allows you to keep your guys fresh throughout the game. Besides, on passing downs, or for situations with mobile QBs (VY) Weaver and WIlliams will move inside to DT and Babin Peek or Kalu will take the DE spot.
Old 05-05-2006   #12
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

I don't see these guys getting canned as June 1 drops. The question is who on this list is not first/second string potential because that is what Kubiak and the organization is going to be asking, and I think all these guys are good second stringers at worst.

I can't see Joppru or Babin going based on cash alone. They're just too cheap. Now, if Joppru gets re-injured, he'll be tossed. Wade is very expensive for a back-up, but if I remember correctly, his cap-hit goes down significantly after this season. Wong has given us good (not great) output, so I doubt he is gone unless the injury has an effect. Weigert is the starting RT in the line's depth chart, so he is a lock to stay at this point. Breuner might be gone, but that will depend on how well Joppru comes along.
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006   #13
TexanFanInCC
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to TexanFanInCC Send a message via Yahoo to TexanFanInCC

Quote:
Todd Wade (5.2 million)
Seth Payne (4.2 million)
Bennie Joppru (900k)
i hope wong isnt cut. i also would hate to see seth payne cut. he and robaire smith were arguably our best d-lineman last season. todd wade proly gets cut. morlon greenwood may get cut bc of the signing of cowart and drafting of demeco ryans.
Old 05-05-2006   #14
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 35068 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

I am holiding out for Morlon now that he is playing back in the 4-3. As an fyi his game at Denver in 2004 he had 7 tackles and 5 assists. Not earth shattering, but good.

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpag.../gamelogs/2004
Old 05-05-2006   #15
Dime
Hall of Fame

Quote:
This has actually been brought up recently, due to the draft of Williams. Depending on Peeks situation, we may have Williams, Weaver, kalu, Peek, Babin all making pretty decent money for 2 DE positions.
This has been brought up by the people here and has no credibility what so ever. No one else. All 5 will probably stay providing DE and DT backup and tweeners. Babin aint going anywhere.. and unless K says it.. you can pretty much bet he will be with us for quite a while.
Old 05-05-2006   #16
dwilt72
Veteran

Quote:
Todd Wade (5.2 million)
Seth Payne (4.2 million)
Bennie Joppru (900k)

How in the world do you cut Faggins? We don't have any decent CB's as is. I also doubt Babin would go. I think they'll give him a chance to play DE first. We are also thin at DT so unless we pick up some more DL's I doubt if Payne is going anywhere.
dwilt72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006   #17
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 73208 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

until we see the results of the 4-3 switch (in which i'm sure smith will return to the dominance he had with tennessee), payne is our most productive defensive tackle. he's not going anywhere. travis johnson, while more suited for the A gap, got consistantly desicrated by right tackles and looked utterly pathetic IMO. as of right now, travis is NOT a starter. the only drop that i see is todd wade, he is not part of this system. if pittsburgh or a "mauling" run only team were looking for a right tackle, he'd be a great fit, but he has no business here. as oso eluded to though, if we can afford it, it'd probably be easier to hold onto wade for one more season as depth to ease the cap hit.

everyone in our secondary is staying. weigert will be here for atleast the transition (although it'd be a solid savings by releasing him). babin's going nowhere, i fully expect him to put on 5-10lbs and become a starter opposite williams. bruener is questionable, but i expect him to stay & retire at the end of the season (i think he'll be #3 on the chart, more as an offensive tackle who's eligable as a receiver on short yardage situations). wong & greenwood are starters. joppru's nickname should be "cat" since he apparently has 9 lives, or seemingly that many years to try to get healthy and play a down. even if joppru survives the offseason, i dont think coach will give him anything further than the practice squad.

incase i havent made it clear in previous posts, babin is 10X the DE that peek is. peek is too small and has too many holes in his game to be a consistant on any team, if we can get value by trading him, i'm all for it. shantee orr is better in his role as a tweener already. with the release of deloach & ioane, i think we'll see weaver moving inside pretty often and babin taking the starting DE role opposite mario. orr & peek are tweeners, babin's a DE ... he'll be our osi, or mathis, or kearse, or whichever lighter pass rusher you want to affiliate with. orr is going to come in on passing & blitz situations.
Old 05-06-2006   #18
AustinJB
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 AustinJB was voted MVPAustinJB was voted MVPAustinJB was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro
I think that Wade, Wong, Kris Brown and either Bruenner or Joppru will be the big contracts that could possibly be gone.
Why exactly would you cut Brown?...a reliable kicker (barring a couple of games this past year) who we just signed to an extension in the offseason. Doubt it.
Old 05-06-2006   #19
Erratic Assassin
All Pro

Rep Power: 13 Erratic Assassin was voted MVPErratic Assassin was voted MVPErratic Assassin was voted MVP

Quote:
Todd Wade (5.2 million)
Seth Payne (4.2 million)
Bennie Joppru (900k)
It makes me sick to read this list and see what we paid for some of these guys.
Old 05-06-2006   #20
wicked_wayz
all blacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dime
yeah i agree....cutting babin is damn wrong, if they cut him they mite as wel cut david carr....

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read