Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-09-2004   #21
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

It's easy SheTex. Sam is Strong, Will is Weak. In a standard 4-3 Mike is usually in the Middle, but we don't like Mike, so instead we invited Mack and Buck to play inside.

Last edited by aj.; 05-09-2004 at 10:30 AM.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004   #22
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Do who guys think Babin can put up double digit sacks his rookie season? Because I can see him putting up around 10.

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004   #23
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Well Fiddy! With Will being weak, and with Mike in the doghouse, Mack and Buck wanna play inside, old Sam (Babin) better be STRONG or he'll get the **** beat out of him by some big meatball!!

Sorry guys, it's Mother's DaY!! Indulge me just a little! I'm still smilin about the Sam, Will, Mac, and Buc thing! Gotta be a guy thing!! :~
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004   #24
geka
Veteran

At LOLB he wont have that many sacks
geka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004   #25
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Tell that to Kevin Greene, Geka.

I cannot remember who was on the left side in the old Saints famous 3-4 D. Was Swilling on the right or left?
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004   #26
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Pat Swilling was on the right but Rickey Jackson was no dog on the other side either. Vaughn Johnson and Sam Mills were excellent in the middle also. The Saints had some talent in their linebackers back then.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004   #27
geka
Veteran

All im saying is that this year he would have had more sacks if he lined up on the right side.
geka is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-10-2004   #28
SESupergenius

I think Renaldo Turnbull was in the mix for the Saints too. He had great potential.

If I might chime in here about the LOLB spot. Starting Babin at the LOLB is going to be a huge transition for him. Think he won't get picked on? We've got 3 very good veterans in Sharper, Glenn and Walker encircling him on that side of the defense. I think that is a fantastic move. One of our biggest weaknesses as been on the right side of the defense. Now we put Wong over there and along with Coleman we add some stability and veteran leadership to bring along Robinson, another rookie. I guess Clemons is as good as gone, unless he accepts a backup role. It's still very much in the air however, this is only rookie minicamp. There plenty of room for this to change.
Old 05-10-2004   #29
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

That is right Vinny. It was Rickey Jackson on the other side. I remembered Mills and Johnson on the inside. That might be the best set of 3-4 LB's ever assembled (well other than perhaps a pro bowl).
Old 05-10-2004   #30
Mistril48
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOgre
That is right Vinny. It was Rickey Jackson on the other side. I remembered Mills and Johnson on the inside. That might be the best set of 3-4 LB's ever assembled (well other than perhaps a pro bowl).
I recall that Greene, Mills and Latham (Sp?) all made the pro bowl one year for the Panthers. I can't recall if the Saints did that well. Let me know. Thanks
Mistril48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004   #31
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

The Saints in the late '80's had Rickey Jackson, Vauhgn Johnson, Sam Mills, and Pat Swilling. Those guys were dominant for about 4-5 years. They had scrubs on offense or they might have won more games. I think Bobby Hebert was their QB at the time. They won about 9-10 games a year based strictly upon that defense. I'll have to look up the Pro Bowls.
Old 05-10-2004   #32
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Here is an article about those Saints. They gave up the fewest points in the league in '91 and '92. You have to realize that the Sam Mills you on the Panthers was past his prime. His best years were with the Saints.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?...nfl&id=1772180

I had forgotten about Rueben Mayes (the team's HB). I guess the offense wasn't totally devoid of talent.
Old 05-10-2004   #33
Mistril48
All Pro

Let's see ... other than Sam Mills, what was a common denominator between the Saints and the Panthers ... Maybe you could also include the Steelers ... and since you mention Bobby Hebert (originally of the Michigan Panthers) also the Philadelphia Stars?
Old 05-10-2004   #34
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Capers!

Dom coached with Jim Mora on the USFL champ Stars, moved to the Saints, and then later the Panthers. He also coached the Steeler LB's.

Class dismissed.

Old 05-10-2004   #35
Mistril48
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue
Capers!

Dom coached with Jim Mora on the USFL champ Stars, moved to the Saints, and then later the Panthers. He also coached the Steeler LB's.

Class dismissed.
Did any of the other Texan coaches also coach with the Stars?

I keep setting 'hem up for you.
Old 05-10-2004   #36
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Fangio to the best of my knowledge

Old 05-10-2004   #37
Vinny
shiny happy fan

ah-ha!

Just looked it up. Joe Marciano was also in this group. I probably read that somewhere before and forgot.

Old 05-10-2004   #38
Mistril48
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue
ah-ha!

Just looked it up. Joe Marciano was also in this group. I probably read that somewhere before and forgot.
I haven't looked it up, but I was thinking of one more ...

Any ideas?
Old 05-10-2004   #39
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Without looking....was it Pendry? It has to be him or Olivadotti...

Last edited by aj.; 05-10-2004 at 07:14 PM.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004   #40
Mistril48
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.
Without looking....was it Pendry? It has to be him or Olivadotti...
I believe it was Pendry.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read