Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-04-2006   #1
David's Busted Carr
Veteran

Default Kubiak's house cleaning!

Goodbye:

Tony Banks QB
Tony Hollings RB
Gary Walker DT
Marcus Coleman S
Milford Brown OL
Jabar Gaffney WR
Corey Bradford WR
Jonathan Wells RB (UFA) - RB drafted he won't be back
Marcellus Rivers TE (UFA) - TE drafted he won't be back
Jerry Deloach DT
Moran Norris FB
Tood Washington OL
Junior Ioane DT
Zeke Moreno LB
Frank Chamberlain LB
Quinn Dorsey LB
Jason Anderson RB
Tupe Peko OL
Hayden Epstein K

That's 19 players! About 1/3 of our roster! And you know what? I won't lose sleep over losing any single one of those players! People get so focused on ONE single player/draft pick that they lose sight of the big picture! With our solid FA aquisions and draft, I think the Texans will get this thing turned around in a hurry.

My only beef with this offseason so far is lack of addressing the secondary, but I'm sure we are saving money for Ed Reed or Roy Williams who are both potentially free agents next off season!

I'm going to predict our first NON LOSING season this year and going to say we go 8-8. And if we can suprise and go 2-2 our first four games (extremely tough schedule) possibly even 9-7!

David's Busted Carr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006   #2
Doom Capers
Veteran

Wasn't Ioane DT?
Doom Capers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006   #3
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7857 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not sure if all of the above players were Kubiak's house cleaning. I like to thank he may just not have been in a hurry to sign some of them and they left on their own.

I can't wait til Gaffney shows us how things are so much better when he grabs two catches for 20 yards against us.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006   #4
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7857 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doom Capers
Wasn't Ioane DT?
Yes. That was one dude I didn't want to see go. I've always thought he added great depth and when he got an opportunity he played well. I know he made the great tackle against Priest Holmes in KC that lead to the Marcus Coleman pick, he had a real good game up in Buffalo when we won, and he played very well against the Falcons.

However, it seems as though this was a numbers game and his was chosen.
Old 05-04-2006   #5
whiskeyrbl

I can't wait til Gaffney shows us how things are so much better when he grabs two catches for 20 yards against us.[/quote]

Yeah, Then DRob lays his *** out and he fumbles twice..lol
Old 05-04-2006   #6
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskeyrbl
I can't wait til Gaffney shows us how things are so much better when he grabs two catches for 20 yards against us.
Yeah, Then DRob lays his *** out and he fumbles twice..lol[/quote]
Ha Ha Ha!!!! I can't wait.
Old 05-04-2006   #7
swisher
Old School

Rep Power: 668 swisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Or, as he crosses the goal line he holds the ball out and drops it resulting in a touchback. Classic.
swisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-04-2006   #8
wenskek
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisher
Or, as he crosses the goal line he holds the ball out and drops it resulting in a touchback. Classic.
what a pud he was on that play, by far one of the most bone headed plays to ever go down, i bet it still haunts him!
wenskek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006   #9
TwinSisters
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 TwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisher
I don't remember this.

**blank scientology stare**
Old 05-04-2006   #10
Bobo
Hall of Fame

I think it was too early to give up on Hollings. He never really had a good shot. They should have kept Gaffney as well. If Carr could have gotten him the ball, he would have been more productive. Wells was very, very productive when Davis was out. Should have kept him as well. I don't think Cook will give you any more than Norris did. The rest of the guys were pretty milquetost, as far as I'm concerned. So that's four out of 19 I disagree with -- all at skill positions for the most part.
Bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006   #11
Bobo
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Gaffney might have a better career ahead of him than Moulds does. Moulds is on a downward slide (10 TDs in three years) while Gaffney has his whole career ahead of him. If Gaffney actually gets a shot at catching some balls, he might do very well. Of course, last year, NOBODY got much a chance at catching any balls. Anybody know who led the Texans last year in TD receptions? Hint: It was a guy they cut.

l
Old 05-04-2006   #12
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2271 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

Moulds had 4 TDs last year and 5 TDs in 2004.. it was his partial season in 2003 with 1 TD that gave him the "10 TDs in three years). With Lee Evans on the team, Moulds hasnt been getting the ball as much, but he has still be doing his part.

Dont get me wrong.. Moulds is on the down side of his career and probably isnt going to be a "force" for us or anything..but he is still a solid WR and he will still demand attention from the defense..and help keep the double team off Andre ALOT better than Bradford did.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006   #13
EF55
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid
Moulds had 4 TDs last year and 5 TDs in 2004.. it was his partial season in 2003 with 1 TD that gave him the "10 TDs in three years). With Lee Evans on the team, Moulds hasnt been getting the ball as much, but he has still be doing his part.

Dont get me wrong.. Moulds is on the down side of his career and probably isnt going to be a "force" for us or anything..but he is still a solid WR and he will still demand attention from the defense..and help keep the double team off Andre ALOT better than Bradford did.
If you just look at this upcoming season. Moulds is still a receiver that we (the eagles) had targeted as well, whether he is on the downside or not he's still better than most # 2 receivers. You guys did a good job in bringing him in. I look at him with the Texans as a transitional talent, he's still got enough left in the tank to help you get from where you are to where you want to be. On the flip side I think Gaffney is a good pick up for the eagles because of the scheme we run but having moulds will benefit the Texans more than gaffney will benefit the Eagles.

Last edited by EF55; 05-05-2006 at 03:08 PM.
EF55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006   #14
SESupergenius

I'd expect a few more coming in June. At 2-14, no player is safe. But please people, keep in mind that this is a whole new offense and defense and you may have to cut them a little slack at the beginning of the season. I tell you what though, if we have a winning preseason I'm going to get my hopes up.
Old 05-04-2006   #15
Bobo
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid

I won't defend Bradford. I had high hopes for him when the Texans took him for their first season. I knew he could get open for the long ball. But he never could catch them! He blew a game last year because he dropped one inside the five near the end of the contest. But the jury on Moulds is out. The fact that Lee Evans has supplanted him shows that he isn't the great receiver he once was. I don't know how much attention he will get from the defenses as his TD rate shows -- four and five TDs aren't very good and it just goes to show that he's never rebounded from that "partial" season. I think he will be singled covered -- successfully -- at times during the season. Is he a decent #2 guy? Maybe, but no better than Gaffney. Gaffney did well when AJ was out with injuries and could have done better if Carr was able to get the ball to him.
Old 05-04-2006   #16
Bobo
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by EF55
If you just look at this upcoming season. Moulds is still a receiver that we (the eagles) had targeted as well whether he is on the downside or not he's still better than most # 2 receivers. You guys did a good job in bringing him in. I look at him with the Texans as a transitional talent, he's still got enough left in the tank to help you get from where you are to where you want to be. On the flip side I think Gaffney is a good pick up for the eagles because of the scheme we run but having moulds will benefit the Texans more than gaffney will benefit the Eagles.
A.) Moulds is better than some #2 receivers because there are some pretty bad QBs in the league who can't even get the ball to the primary receiver. But better than most? Off hand, I would say the Lions, Indy, Arizona, Cincy, and Denver have better #2s than Moulds, and that's just speaking off the top of my head. B.) Gaffney will benefit whomever can get him the ball.
Old 05-04-2006   #17
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52069 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Bobo, you really don't like change.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006   #18
Bobo
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72
Bobo, you really don't like change.
Only good change. Change simply to "stir the pot" doesn't always bring results.
Old 05-04-2006   #19
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 21318 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Bobo, there is more to determing the value of a WR then the number of TDs he scores.

If Moulds can put up the same number of receptions and yards that he as averaged over the last two years, I'd a) be quite happy and b) be amazed if Gaffeny matched him.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006   #20
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57147 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by David's Busted Carr
My only beef with this offseason so far is lack of addressing the secondary . . .
Actually, the secondary has been addressed more than you think.

You show me a bad secondary. . . I'll show you a front 7 that can't get pressure on the quarterback.

Let's see now. We've hired new defensive coaches, gone to a 4-3, signed Weaver, and then took Mario Williams with the top pick.

Well see how 'lousy' our secondary is this year.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read