Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: How Would David Carr's Career Be if He Has Boseli or an Offensive Line
A superstar like Peyton Manning 16 15.09%
A occaisonal pro-bowler like Drew Brees 69 65.09%
A middle of the road guy like Kerry Collins 17 16.04%
An Underachiving career like Aaron Brooks 2 1.89%
A total bust like Ryan Leaf 2 1.89%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-03-2006   #1
WiiBrawler
WiiMan

Rep Power: 10 WiiBrawler is on the Pro-Bowl ballotWiiBrawler is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Send a message via MSN to WiiBrawler Send a message via Yahoo to WiiBrawler Send a message via Skype™ to WiiBrawler
Default How Do You Think David Carr's Career would have changed if we had Boseli or an O-line

I think David Carr's Career would be a middle of the road kinda guy sorta like Kerry Collins or Jake Plummer, he wouldnt be sacked as much, but he will not have those game were he gets only 9 incompletions

Sig By Michaelm
Formerly Carr2Johnson
WiiBrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006   #2
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Probably average to above average IMO with a solid O line. I think one of the main things that has hindered Carr has been coaching or lack thereof.
Old 05-03-2006   #3
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 35068 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Just when I thought that I was out they pull me back in.
Old 05-04-2006   #4
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

The play of the QB relies on the play of the O-line. The better the O-line, the better the QB.That won me all the arguments with the Carr-haters
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006   #5
ensign_lee
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 468 ensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respected

No doubt that he'd be having a Carson Palmer type of season year in and year out, which is very similar to a Peyton Manning type of season. I think Gaffney would have developed better, and we would have had our 1-2 punch with our WRs.

It is EXTREMELY HARD to throw when a 300 lb guy is about to come and kill you.
ensign_lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006   #6
thegr8fan
All Pro

Rep Power: 667 thegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respected

what color would the sky be if it wasn't blue?

Just thought I would add another totally irrelavent hypothetical nonsensical question I always wanted the answer to, since this seems to be the thread for it.
Old 05-04-2006   #7
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegr8fan

Just thought I would add another totally irrelavent hypothetical nonsensical question I always wanted the answer to, since this seems to be the thread for it.
Chill, it's the offseason, the draft's over now, nothing much else to talk about. A lot of the threads around now are questions involving hypothetical situations and speculation.
Old 05-04-2006   #8
ComstockLode
Veteran

Would Carr have played better if he had played for the lions?

In my opinion, the answer is no. The lions knew when to give up on their first round QB. Having a bad offensive line has stopped alot of you from just analyzing carr, instead of looking at the sacks.

He cant throw a deep ball, he doesnt understand touch on short throws, and he has terrible pocket presence.

I am not a david carr hater, I just dont think he is going to be a great qb.
ComstockLode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006   #9
SnakeOilTanker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro
Just when I thought that I was out they pull me back in.
maybe I'm the only one that appericated that
SnakeOilTanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006   #10
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194572 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan
The play of the QB relies on the play of the O-line. The better the O-line, the better the QB.That won me all the arguments with the Carr-haters
Not Necessarily. Tom Brady took over for Drew Bledsoe(who I compare David to) and went on to win a SuperBowl while being sacked 41 times..... a high number, considering he didn't play the first two/three games. He threw for like 3000 yards to a bunch of nobodies, had a QB rating over 80......... had nobody in the backfield.

If Peyton wasn't so good at getting rid of the ball, he'd have a bunch of 30+ sack seasons, and his OL wouldn't look that great(see Pittsburgh & SanDiego) .

If you really want to talk about how good David is, we, can......... we can go on for months.... it'll distract our attention from focusing on winning games and rooting for our team.

From what we've seen, I don't see how anyone can think David will ever be more than Drew Bledsoe........ Holds the ball, slow making decisions, not as accurate as many people think.

Good enough to get us to the dance........ yes........ good enough to win it all ...... yes.... I don't think David is going to loose any games for us, and that's a good thing. But as of today, there aren't many teams gameplanning against our QB. That's bad.
Old 05-04-2006   #11
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194572 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ensign_lee
No doubt that he'd be having a Carson Palmer type of season year in and year out, which is very similar to a Peyton Manning type of season. I think Gaffney would have developed better, and we would have had our 1-2 punch with our WRs.

It is EXTREMELY HARD to throw when a 300 lb guy is about to come and kill you.
That may be true, but we are a running team, something neither the Bengals or the Colts claim....... We would have been stretching the field, but nothing like what Palmer & Peyton are doing. I agree Gaffney would have had much better production though.

I am curious, though why has our play book been getting smaller & smaller every year..... last year we had what 8 plays?? including the runs.
In his 76 sack season(2002) he threw the ball downfield a lot more often, than in 2005, meaning more deep routes, less hitches. why is that??
Old 05-04-2006   #12
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 15683 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

Interesting stat I heard on 610 I believe yesterday. In 2004 Carr completed 40 something passes of 20 or more yards. In 2005, he completed 18. That was worse than their inagural season when they had a new team and mass hysteria - I think it was 24-ish or so that was mentioned of 20+ yards.

What that has to do with the thread... kinda a tangent, but seemed like a good place to mention it. With that and a few other QB's in the AFC that are defintely ahead of Carr... I'm kinda between occasional probowl and middle of the road.

I think I'll lean towards middle of the road with hope of a future occasional probowler.

edit - thunder, guess you just gave me a good segue posting just before me.
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006   #13
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35348 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm fairly neutral about Carr. He has some of the tools to be a good QB but seems to be missing the natural instinct or drive it takes to be one of the greats.

Last year was a sign of a horrible coaching staff (with no clue) trying to fix one problem without understanding the consequences of their "fix". The problem was all the sacks. The idea was having most of the passing plays set up to get the ball out of Carr's hands fast. The problem that created is teams learned in the preseason that the Texans weren't going deep often so they just played goalline pass defense. Why is it so difficult to score in the redzone? Because the field shrinks. Just like the Run N Shoot kept the Oilers' opponents in a 3rd & long defense (making many D coordinators very happy) we created a situation favorable to the defense. It was really frustrating to watch.

Bottom line is I feel coaching and scheme destroyed Carr and can only hope that Kubiak and the new system can help him recover.

[EDIT] Spelling

Last edited by Exascor; 05-04-2006 at 08:32 AM.
Exascor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006   #14
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 17967 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

When the team is in the game, I think he can be a fiery competitor. I always think about the Jags game a few years ago (2 years ago????) when he went over the top on 4th down to score the TD. I thought that he had arrived as a QB at that point.

From what I've gathered, the offense was changed to protect him from sacks (didn't work) and the team never bought in. The coaches micro-managed him and IMO, he just went through the motions.

Can't say I blame him. If you know your boss is an idiot, you just do what is expected of you and little else.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006   #15
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exascor
The idea was having most of the passing plays set up to get the ball out of Carr's hands fast.
When I heard that, I knew this team was doomed. Ask any other coach, and they'll have worked on moving the pocket, more plays with a fullback, two tightends, more pitches to the tailback, they'd have had a number of options.

But we came out with the one, and then David(really, I'm trying to stop) didn't seem to understand the ball has to be out of his hands regardless if the reciever is covered or not. If we are going to pick up 3-5 yards and give up no sacks, then defenses aren't going to be so stoked about blitzing on every down. If there is a high percentage for us to lose 5 yards compared to us picking up 5 yards on every down, then HECK yeah I'm blitzing on every down.
Old 05-04-2006   #16
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss

In his 76 sack season(2002) he threw the ball downfield a lot more often, than in 2005, meaning more deep routes, less hitches. why is that??
Because we would place a 2 WR set in I formation against like 7 DBs due to our mental coaching staff.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006   #17
TwinSisters
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 TwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan279
Chill, it's the offseason, the draft's over now, nothing much else to talk about. A lot of the threads around now are questions involving hypothetical situations and speculation.
Agree. ( although I don't think this draft is going to go away anytime soon )

as to the Sky hypothesis

Technically the sky does not have color, color is in your brain. So if the sky is not blue, it can be whatever color you want it to be.

see the sound of a tree falling in an empty forest play.
Old 05-04-2006   #18
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 35068 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinSisters
Agree. ( although I don't think this draft is going to go away anytime soon )

as to the Sky hypothesis

Technically the sky does not have color, color is in your brain. So if the sky is not blue, it can be whatever color you want it to be.

see the sound of a tree falling in an empty forest play.
Color is simply a reflection of light. In total darkness, everything is the same color.
Old 05-04-2006   #19
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegr8fan

lol..hey but if u don't like the thread why waste time with a response
Old 05-04-2006   #20
Bobo
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr2Johnson
I think David Carr's Career would be a middle of the road kinda guy sorta like Kerry Collins or Jake Plummer, he wouldnt be sacked as much, but he will not have those game were he gets only 9 incompletions
I agree. I honestly don't think that Carr will ever be a superstar, but you don't have to be to get your team to a Super Bowl. After all, look at Trent Dilfer and Stan Humphrey -- as well as Kerry Collins, for that matter -- to name a few.

Last edited by Bobo; 05-04-2006 at 05:01 PM.
Bobo is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read