Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 05-03-2006   #1
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Will there be a 2006 Supplemental Draft, and will the Texans make a pick?

So I didn't really understand what the Supplemental draft was until I read about it more carefully on NFL.com. If what I understand to be true is true, then the Texans will get the first pick in the 2006 supplemental draft. If we take someone, we forfeit our 1st round pick in 2007. I don't think this is too wise, given a lot of our teams success is based on potential, and we have a very difficult schedule. If Ahmad Brooks is available, though, is he worth the 1st round pick? What about if he's available in the 2nd? I think i'd take him there, as it would probably be an immediate improvement to our MLB situation. Maybe thats why we didn't take any interior linebackers this draft, because we knew we could pick up Brooks with our 1st rounder in the supplemental draft. The question is, will he be available (I mean, did Va actually cut him or not) and if he is there, do we forfeit a #1 pick next year for him this year? Interesting question
Old 05-03-2006   #2
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02
So I didn't really understand what the Supplemental draft was until I read about it more carefully on NFL.com. If what I understand to be true is true, then the Texans will get the first pick in the 2006 supplemental draft. If we take someone, we forfeit our 1st round pick in 2007. I don't think this is too wise, given a lot of our teams success is based on potential, and we have a very difficult schedule. If Ahmad Brooks is available, though, is he worth the 1st round pick? What about if he's available in the 2nd? I think i'd take him there, as it would probably be an immediate improvement to our MLB situation. Maybe thats why we didn't take any interior linebackers this draft, because we knew we could pick up Brooks with our 1st rounder in the supplemental draft. The question is, will he be available (I mean, did Va actually cut him or not) and if he is there, do we forfeit a #1 pick next year for him this year? Interesting question
I've addressed this issue countless times before, but am glad to summarize it here again. Brooks is easily worth a first rounder, however NO team will give up a #1 in the supplemental draft. The Texans reached on Hollings. Brooks should go in the third to fifth round of the Supp. draft, depending on how much a team is willing to give up next year.
Old 05-03-2006   #3
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 122497 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but its not run as the regular NFL draft is. With the sup. draft teams bid on players with draft picks, highest bidder get the player. So if we bid our second round pick for Brooks, everyone else would have to give up their first round pick (since we have the the first pick in the second round, a first round pick is the only way we lose). So its not like it becomes a pi$$ing contest, its more like a secret bidder type. However we do lose our second round pick in next years draft, regardless of its actually position in the second round (33rd overall or 64th).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006   #4
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Rep Power: 38035 Trap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan
I've addressed this issue countless times before, but am glad to summarize it here again. Brooks is easily worth a first rounder, however NO team will give up a #1 in the supplemental draft. The Texans reached on Hollings. Brooks should go in the third to fifth round of the Supp. draft, depending on how much a team is willing to give up next year.
I would'nt mind using a 2nd rd pick on this guy. Had he stayed in school, he'd probably be top 15 pick. He needs to grow up and get his act together.
Trap_Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006   #5
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 122497 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Two write ups on Brooks:

http://football.about.com/od/playerp...hmadbrooks.htm
http://www.footballsfuture.com/2005/...ad_brooks.html

I'd give up next years second. We've done it for worse players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006   #6
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Here how the supplemental draft works, per nfl.com:

1) Draft order is determined by regular draft order
2) A team may choose not to pick at any point in any round
3) If a team uses a pick on a player, they forfeit that draft pick in the subsequent draft.
4) You don't have to pick anyone

Therefore, Texans get #1 pick in supplemental draft, and could pass. If Steelers want to use their 2nd round pick on Brooks, we could use our 2nd round pick on him and take him. Problem is, we don't know what others would use, therefore we might have to use a higher pick then we'd want, potentially giving up a high pick next year.
Old 05-03-2006   #7
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 712 ledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ledzeppelin229

I'd rather not use anything higher than a 3rd on him. He might have the talent of a first rounder but any team that takes him is taking a gamble on a headcase...and we've seen Charley's gambles in the past.

ledzeppelin229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-03-2006   #8
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11 Coach C. is a Pro BowlerCoach C. is a Pro Bowler

If we use anything higher than a second day pick I would be upset. Ahmad Brooks is a tremendous talent and reminds me alot of a young Ray Ray, but his maturity and lack of intelligence makes him a second day selection. Like the Dolphins last year a 5th round pick would suffice. It should be low enough to warrant it anyway.
Old 05-03-2006   #9
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 14067 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

We're taking "High Quality Personality Players" or HQPP for short, anyway, I doubt we'll take him.
Old 05-03-2006   #10
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon420tx
We're taking "High Quality Personality Players" or HQPP for short, anyway, I doubt we'll take him.
Talent can't be ignored.
Old 05-03-2006   #11
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 100807 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know what the potential of the 2007 draft class is... but what I hear is that this guy is good.. yet I wonder with babin/peek and such with our draft ..would we consider this guy?
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006   #12
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf
I don't know what the potential of the 2007 draft class is... but what I hear is that this guy is good.. yet I wonder with babin/peek and such with our draft ..would we consider this guy?
Babin/Peek have nothing to do with Brooks unless one of them is traded for a future pick. Brooks is a MLB, a younger Ray Lewis.
Old 05-03-2006   #13
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 100807 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan
Babin/Peek have nothing to do with Brooks unless one of them is traded for a future pick. Brooks is a MLB, a younger Ray Lewis.
I see, i thought I read that he was an OLB... cool
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006   #14
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon420tx
This is also the reason that I doubt we take a risk on him...He has the talent to warrant a second round pick, but we will miss the boat and let him go to another team...Let's just hope it isn't Indy, Jacksonville, or Tennessee...
Old 05-04-2006   #15
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02
So I didn't really understand what the Supplemental draft was until I read about it more carefully on NFL.com. If what I understand to be true is true, then the Texans will get the first pick in the 2006 supplemental draft.
Teams are not ordered in the same way they are in the regular NFL draft. They take teams and divide them into three record categories (something like 0-16 to 6-10, 7-9 to 9-7, and 10-6+) then draw order (lotto style) in those groups. The Texans could very well end up something like the 7th team in the drawing.
Old 05-04-2006   #16
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOgre
Teams are not ordered in the same way they are in the regular NFL draft. They take teams and divide them into three record categories (something like 0-16 to 6-10, 7-9 to 9-7, and 10-6+) then draw order (lotto style) in those groups. The Texans could very well end up something like the 7th team in the drawing.
When does the supplimental draft take place and when do we find out the Texans draft position?

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006   #17
gtexan02
Working?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOgre
Unless the draft has changed since 2004, thats not how it works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFL.com
....The NFL would pull names out of a hat to determine the draft order. They would then go down the list, offering each team the chance to make a selection. A team got the chance every round to make its pick. If a team made a pick, they had to forfeit a pick in the subsequent draft -- the bigger draft with the college players. Sometimes, rounds would go by where nobody made a pick. Sometimes the entire draft would go by without a player being picked.

Nowadays it still works the same way, but instead of pulling names out of a hat, the NFL uses the previous year's draft order.....
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/6452668
Old 05-04-2006   #18
BuffSoldier
Hall of Fame

I would be okay if we used a 3rd rounder. I think that with him at ILB and Ryans at OLB, plus Mario Williams and Travis Johnson not to mention Anthony Weaver who is only 26, we would have one of the bet front 7 in the NFL for years.... If everyone pans out the way they should.
Old 05-04-2006   #19
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Quote:
Nowadays it still works the same way, but instead of pulling names out of a hat, the NFL uses the previous year's draft order.....
Okay they must have changed that since we took Hollings (2003 Supplemental). If it hadn't been for that, we would have used a 3rd instead of a 2nd on him (Dallas and Chicago were ahead of us in the supplemental draft despite the fact that we had the 3rd overall pick in the normal draft that year).
Old 05-04-2006   #20
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think a 3rd would get him. Someone will probably use at least a 2nd on him. He was projected to be a top 15 pick at one time. If this guy can get his head on straight he might end up being a great player in the nfl.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read