Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-03-2006   #1
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144460 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected
Default My thoughts on the offseason and expectations for the coming season

Last year was .... Brutal to watch and thats putting it mildly . Several of us even pointed out during the pre-season that the team was not performing to expectations .... But it was only pre-season . Turns out this was just a taste of what was to come ..... 2-14 sucks !

The offense was again near the bottom of the league in passing and the top of the league in sacks allowed , something we have seen here before . This is something several long time board members have been clamouring about since we first heard Bosselli wouldnt ever suit up. (myself included)

The defense was pathetic against both the rush and the pass . The pass rush was almost non-existant . Turnovers were few and far between . They just didnt force many mistakes .

Capers and Co were just too conservative in their offensive aproach and far too complex in their defensive strategies for the players to excell . Their 2-14 performance got them the boot and not a moment too soon .

The hiring of Kubiak to replace Capers was probably the best move of the off-season . Kubiak may have been a quarterback as a player but he knows the value of a running game and a solid defense is the key to winning in tthis league .

For those of you who expect an air it out offense here in Houston next season .... sorry , not gonna happen . This offense will look more like Denver or Carolina's offenses . They will establish the run . They will protect Carr . They will actually throw to the TE (thats funny).

They did as well as you could expect a 2-14 team to do in free-agency . They filled some holes starting with Anthony Weaver at DE and Sam Cowart at LB . The O-line was upgraded with the signing of center Mike Flanagan . Which in turn moves Steve McKinney back to his natural position of guard. We wont have to watch Milford Brown and Fred Weary at the guards this season .... They were likely the worst guard tandem in the league .
Kevin Walter , Eric Moulds and Jeb Putzier are upgrades over Corey BADford , Jabar (im not looking) Gaffeny and the never played in a meaningful game B.Joppru . Carr has some weapons to work with now ....Sage Rosenfels was Kubiaks choice for replacing Tony Banks .... Just about anyone would have been an upgrade there .

The Cuts that Kubiak made at the begining of his tenure sent a message .... I was happy to see Coleman and Hollings go , G.Walker just couldnt seem to stay on the field and although his cap hit hurts it was the right move in my opinion .

The draft went much different than many expected and or hoped . I for one am excited about the guy's they drafted in tthe top of this years draft . Mario Williams and DeMeco Ryans give them two very athletic players in the front sever . Thats something this defense has lacked from day one . The secondary will benifit from this more than anything .
The choice of Williams over Bush changes more than meets the eye . This D-Line could turn out to be the best in the league next season w/ Williams , Johnson , Payne , Smith and Weaver . Johnson stands to gain the most in the change from 3-4 to 4-3 as he is more of a one gap player .

Eric Winston was a steal in the third round , he has first round talent . Along with Charles Spencer they have added some youth and talent to one of their weakest area's . Carr should spend a lot less time on his back or running for his life than he has in the past.

Owen Daniels should provide some competition at the TE spot , From what Ive seen and heard the guy can both block and catch . I dont know a lot about Wali Lundy but just about any back you plug into Kubiaks system is going to succeed .

All in all I expect this team to improve by leaps and bounds this season . No more Pendry and his horrid play-calling , No more Fancio errr Fangio and his defense that takes a rocket scientist to comprehend .... That in itself would be worth 3 wins . With the additions and changes in schemes they have made thus far I could easily see them break even at 8-8 But wouldnt count out a monumental turn around of 10-6 .....

Before you go calling me a .... If you read my breakdown of last years offseason you will know that Im Brutally honest in my opinions and was pretty much spot on in my assessment prior to last season .....

Texans 2 , Dolts 0

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006   #2
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144460 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Notice I left out all the Bush / Young / Williams talk .... Its over and done , lets leave that out of this thread. :brickwall

Old 05-03-2006   #3
Cincinnatikid
Veteran

"Mario Williams and DeMeco Ryans give them two very athletic players in the front sever . Thats something this defense has lacked from day one ."

I would have to disagree that the D lacked athletic people. Peek is as athletic as they come, but he was not used properly. I have a feeling his talent will still be hiden this season because of a lack of playing time. However, despite what is being said in the media about him, we may see him at LB and DE (a strong hunch i have)
Cincinnatikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006   #4
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 41089 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Let me first say that the Williams pick at #1 was....(just joking! )

Anyway, I like your whole assessment. As for your prediction of the Colts games, I will say that you are being somewhat of a homer, and I don't think we will take 2 from them. That team, for lack of a better word (and boy do i hate this word!!!) has gel'd. The defense and offense are locked in and they are locked in to their coach. We play them in week 2, and as much fun as it will be when Williams blind sides Manning, our team will be too raw that stage of the season to compete with them inside their house. Now, by week 16, when we play them in Houston, watch out.... I seriuosly think that we will take our first game from them then. Maybe they'll be resting starters in time for the playoffs, but even if they aren't, I think we'll be a well-oiled machine by then, and taking 1/2 from the Colts is an accomplishment in its own right, and I'd be exstactic to see it happen!
Old 05-03-2006   #5
BradK10
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to BradK10 Send a message via Yahoo to BradK10

ha ha, gtex i just noticed you drew in a beard and stache on your avatar, hilarious
Old 05-03-2006   #6
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 41089 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradK10
ha ha, gtex i just noticed you drew in a beard and stache on your avatar, hilarious
Its kind of small, so I'm glad someone noticed it! I copied this random guy from a pic I saw on google images if you search super mario.
Old 05-03-2006   #7
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincinnatikid
"Mario Williams and DeMeco Ryans give them two very athletic players in the front sever . Thats something this defense has lacked from day one ."

I would have to disagree that the D lacked athletic people. Peek is as athletic as they come, but he was not used properly. I have a feeling his talent will still be hiden this season because of a lack of playing time. However, despite what is being said in the media about him, we may see him at LB and DE (a strong hunch i have)
I like Peek as much as the next guy.... but he is an OLB in a 3-4 defense. How was he not used properly??

The best thing for Peek, would be to move to a 3-4 team. Like I said, I like the guy, but he is probably the only player on this team (Seth also) who fit the 3-4.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02
As for your prediction of the Colts games, I will say that you are being somewhat of a homer, and I don't think we will take 2 from them. That team, for lack of a better word (and boy do i hate this word!!!) has gel'd. The defense and offense are locked in and they are locked in to their coach. We play them in week 2, and as much fun as it will be when Williams blind sides Manning, our team will be too raw that stage of the season to compete with them inside their house.
I think that works to our advantage...... they won't know what hit them.... seriously.... That's what 3..... 4... disappointing off seasons?? Sooner or later, that gel is going to stop holding that team. They've got to be wondering what they did wrong, & I gaurantee they don't won't say what they all want to say. Peyton Manning. So I predict a little dissention on that team. Right now, I can't say if it's going to be enough to tear them apart like the T.O./McNabb thing last year......... same situation, but they don't have a scapegoat(TO).

Peyton's the man, best QB(other than David Carr) in the AFC..... NFC....... best in the league.... But when it's crunch time, when it's Playoffs, he needs to let Dungy(or someone Dungy appoints) manage the game.

I agree, with the coaches doing their job, and the players remaining focused, we may very well beat them, no excuses, late in the season.
Old 05-03-2006   #8
Cincinnatikid
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss
I like Peek as much as the next guy.... but he is an OLB in a 3-4 defense. How was he not used properly??

The best thing for Peek, would be to move to a 3-4 team. Like I said, I like the guy, but he is probably the only player on this team (Seth also) who fit the 3-4.
Improperly because he was not allowed to play as a rusher. He was put in a defense that made the players wait a second and then do something. defenses are supposed to attack.
Old 05-03-2006   #9
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 209608 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Nice post, corrosion.

I agree with you about our D-line. It has the potential to be one of the best in football one day. Coaching will be a huge part of their development, so thankfully, we've got a new staff that seems up to the challenge.

And I hope you're right about the Dolts! Man, it's too much to ask, tho'...
Old 05-03-2006   #10
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52069 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

There's no telling what injury problems we (or they) may have by week 16, but we may just have a shot at them by then.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006   #11
ColtsFan
waterboy

Quote:
Peyton's the man, best QB(other than David Carr) in the AFC..... NFC....... best in the league.... But when it's crunch time, when it's Playoffs, he needs to let Dungy(or someone Dungy appoints) manage the game.
You are 100% correct on this part. When its crunch time and we HAVE to score now or go home for the season, he thinks that he has to be the savior. And every other team out there knows this. I said when we lost to the Steelers, if we'd've given the ball to James and kept hammering, we'd've won that game. but that's the past...

Now I won't predict the games this season. We've got no James and unless Addai can step in from the start or Rhodes can lose the butterfingers, we've got no chance. Peyton loves the play action but if you take away the running threat, then the play action is worthless. Ahhh I can't wait for the season to start. Good luck to y'all, with the talent you picked up, I predict at least 6 or 7 wins for ya. (maybe even 1 against us.)
ColtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006   #12
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:

I like Peek's "Athletic Ability" as much as the next guy , but there are several problems with Peek , First his athleticism doesnt seem to translate into production . He's been limited for the most part to situations where he could use that natural ability to get to the QB , mainly an obvious passing down player , so saying he hasnt been used properly is incorrect . Problem #2 w/ Peek is that he makes too many mistakes mental mistakes . How many times have we seen him draw a 15 yard penalty for a late hit ? Any is too many .
Third , He was AWFUL against the run . Poor change of direction and lack of instinct.

Another thing to note here , If you seriously think that Peek or Babin is going to see considerable playing time at the DE position you better think again , They just inked Weaver and Williams to about 75 mil .... If either of them wants to play anything more than special teams they will have to outplay those two guy's , not by just a little but by leaps and bounds .

Old 05-04-2006   #13
southtexan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrosion
I like Peek's "Athletic Ability" as much as the next guy , but there are several problems with Peek , First his athleticism doesnt seem to translate into production . He's been limited for the most part to situations where he could use that natural ability to get to the QB , mainly an obvious passing down player , so saying he hasnt been used properly is incorrect . Problem #2 w/ Peek is that he makes too many mistakes mental mistakes . How many times have we seen him draw a 15 yard penalty for a late hit ? Any is too many .
Third , He was AWFUL against the run . Poor change of direction and lack of instinct.

Another thing to note here , If you seriously think that Peek or Babin is going to see considerable playing time at the DE position you better think again , They just inked Weaver and Williams to about 75 mil .... If either of them wants to play anything more than special teams they will have to outplay those two guy's , not by just a little but by leaps and bounds .
I was thinking about the same thing a couple of days ago, about Peek's mental mistakes. The guy is an athlete no doubt about that, I think he's just a little slow and need's extra time to mature.
Old 05-04-2006   #14
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrosion
Peek can play DE, or large LB...... Like I said, he really needs to be moved to a 3-4 team, where he can really shine. but even in our system, we might see something like

Williams........ Smith........Weaver...... Babin
.......Peek.......Cowart................ Ryans...

............Earl.................
Robinson...............Faggins/Brown........Buchannon
Old 05-04-2006   #15
ATX_Texan
Veteran

Default What a joke

Quote:
Peyton's the man, best QB(other than David Carr) in the AFC
HA HA HA HA HA..................................

I think you forgot the [sarcasm] tags around that statement.

Stats wise Peyton is the best in the AFC during the regular season. Come money time, Tom Brady and Big Ben are the readl deal in the AFC playoffs.

David Carr is so far away from being a top notch NFL QB it is not even funny. Anyone expecting more than the new Trent Dilfer out of Carr are going to be mighty disappointed.
Old 05-04-2006   #16
Cincinnatikid
Veteran

Quote:
Peek can play DE, or large LB...... Like I said, he really needs to be moved to a 3-4 team, where he can really shine. but even in our system, we might see something like

Williams........ Smith........Weaver...... Babin
.......Peek.......Cowart................ Ryans...

............Earl.................
Robinson...............Faggins/Brown........Buchannon

That is a very possible situation with him at LB. However his mental mistakes? One was for the Bengals TE acting by pretending a "head butt" knocked him down on the sidelines, when in reality he was just talking. The second that game was a "late hit" that Capers clearly said was not a late hit. The amount of penalties that he has received and their legitimacy are very exaggerated on this message board. And he clearly was not put in the proper position to succeed last year. The players have all said that they were not allowed to "play" last season and that was what i meant by not put in the right position to succeed. If he had been allowed to either rush the passer, play the run, or drop into coverage based on a play call then you would see a whole lot better play/team play. There was way too much time wasted on making the players decide what they were supposed to do after the snap. A real DE/OLB needs to know what they are doing before the snap so they can go into their move at the snap instead of letting the Oline move into their position first. Peek would show his potential if he was in a system that let him play, regardless of it being 3-4 or 4-3.
Old 05-04-2006   #17
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX_Texan
HA HA HA HA HA..................................

I think you forgot the [sarcasm] tags around that statement.

Stats wise Peyton is the best in the AFC during the regular season. Come money time, Tom Brady and Big Ben are the readl deal in the AFC playoffs.

David Carr is so far away from being a top notch NFL QB it is not even funny. Anyone expecting more than the new Trent Dilfer out of Carr are going to be mighty disappointed.
I'm trying to get back in Carr defense mode....

Peyton is every bit THE best QB playoffs or not. Brady & Ben aren't any better QBs just because the regular season ended.

Coaching mistakes, that's what ruins Indy in the big game. They shouldn't let Manning make as many calls as he does.... more often, they are not the right calls, and he puts himself in bad situations. They need a real offensive coordinator come crunch time.
Quote:
That is a very possible situation with him at LB. However his mental mistakes? One was for the Bengals TE acting by pretending a "head butt" knocked him down on the sidelines, when in reality he was just talking. The second that game was a "late hit" that Capers clearly said was not a late hit. The amount of penalties that he has received and their legitimacy are very exaggerated on this message board. And he clearly was not put in the proper position to succeed last year. The players have all said that they were not allowed to "play" last season and that was what i meant by not put in the right position to succeed. If he had been allowed to either rush the passer, play the run, or drop into coverage based on a play call then you would see a whole lot better play/team play. There was way too much time wasted on making the players decide what they were supposed to do after the snap. A real DE/OLB needs to know what they are doing before the snap so they can go into their move at the snap instead of letting the Oline move into their position first. Peek would show his potential if he was in a system that let him play, regardless of it being 3-4 or 4-3.
What are you talking about..... those mental mistakes are his, no matter what scheme he's playing...... a 4-3 defense doesn't stop an idiot from hitting a guy who is out of bounds.

Before the snap, Peek knew he was going to rush the passer, defend the run, or provide underneath coverage. When the ball is snapped, 4-3, or 3-4 he has to decide the best way to go about doing that. In the 4-3 he only thinks about the man in front of him..... is he going to fake to the outside, to get a step to the inside, is he going to push him backwards, is he going to spin away from an oncoming run block...... in a 3-4, he has to choose, gap A, gap B, or Gap C.......

The speed and power he has is best used in that 3-4 scenario. He isn't big enough to work against an offensive tackle every down. Putting his hands on the ground does not give Peek any advantage whatsoever.
Old 05-04-2006   #18
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Cincinnatikid,

All I'm saying, is in response to your original post, about Peeks athletecism.... Yes, I think he is a good player. Yes, I'd like to keep him. But his athletecism(sp) means nothing when moving to a 4-3.... he's not strong enough, he's not fast enough, and he's weak on technique.

He would be much better in a 3-4, where the 3 downlineman understand and accept that role.
Old 05-04-2006   #19
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
And he clearly was not put in the proper position to succeed last year. The players have all said that they were not allowed to "play" last season and that was what i meant by not put in the right position to succeed. If he had been allowed to either rush the passer, play the run, or drop into coverage based on a play call then you would see a whole lot better play/team play. There was way too much time wasted on making the players decide what they were supposed to do after the snap. A real DE/OLB needs to know what they are doing before the snap so they can go into their move at the snap instead of letting the Oline move into their position first.

I suppose the offense just tells you what play they have called prior to the snap ....Simple as it may sound to just call a play on defense it doesnt work like that . This isnt Madden , An OLB has more responsibility than just rushing upfield to get to the QB . He has to hold the edge vs the run and in some situations be prepared to assume coverage of the RB or TE .
Peek does NOT have this versatility . He lacks the discipline to play the run and the ability to change direction when forced into coverage . I call that one dimensional .

Old 05-04-2006   #20
Cincinnatikid
Veteran

Quote:
What are you talking about..... those mental mistakes are his, no matter what scheme he's playing...... a 4-3 defense doesn't stop an idiot from hitting a guy who is out of bounds.
I will agree that we may disagree on the effectiveness of him on the field in a 4-3, but it was clear that the two penalities called in the bengals game were bogus . The coaches specifically pointed that out in the press conference after they watched the tape. I really think its inappropriate to call someone an idiot, claim he is stupid (not that you did, but others have), because he played hard. His personal fouls were in his two preivous years, last year his personal fouls were not legit.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read