Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-03-2006   #1
GrandPa
Rookie

Default Tracking the #1 pick over the season

We do not at this time know if the #1 pick was a good pick or a bad pick...

I realize that it is difficult to track an offensive player against a defensive player but you can track an offensive player against his peers and a defensive player against his peers and you can track for team impact...

For Mario Williams I am planning to track: Sacks, Tackles, Assists, Fumble Recoveries, Forced Fumbles and Touchdowns.

For Reggie Bush I am planning to track: Rushing and Receiving Attempts, Yards, Fumbles and Touchdowns. Will also have to track any Special Team yardage.

Any additional stats that need to be tracked???
Drafting Mario #1 was a huge blunder

Last edited by GrandPa; 05-03-2006 at 11:58 PM.
GrandPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006   #2
SnakeOilTanker
Veteran

tickets and jerseys sold!....duh, why else would you pick a player
SnakeOilTanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006   #3
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 38175 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandPa

I realize that it is difficult to track an offensive player against a defensive player but you can track an offensive player against his peers and a defensive player against his peers and you can track for team impact...

For Mario Williams I am planning to track: Sacks, Tackles, Assists, Fumble Recoveries and Touchdowns.

For Reggie Bush I am planning to track: Rushing and Receiving Attempts, Yards, Fumbles and Touchdowns. Will also have to track any Special Team yardage.

Williams - Tackles for loss (TFL)
Bush - cant think of any.
Old 05-03-2006   #4
eltoro
Rookie

I don't know if it is easily measurable, but I would like to see how both players change the way opposing offenses/defenses adjust their gameplans around the respective player. Additionally, I think if you are going to count fumbles that you should also look at missed tackles.
eltoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006   #5
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 325689 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

We need to establish what we consider to be worthy of the selection. How many sacks/hurries tackles for loss, and fumbles forced do we need to say Mario was worthy of the #1 pick??

How many rushing yards, recieving yards, ypc, TDs, etc...... does Reggie need, before we can say he was worthy of the #1 pick(is anyone questioning this??)
Old 05-03-2006   #6
Texas
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to Texas

God get over reggie bush jesus
Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006   #7
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Rep Power: 40233 Trap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

For Mario Williams I am planning to track: Sacks, Tackles, Assists, Fumble Recoveries and Touchdowns.

You're forgetting forced fumbles and tipped passes at the line of scrimmage. (He is 6'7" with a 40 in. vertical.)
Trap_Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-03-2006   #8
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 74340 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Running backs: Rushing/Receiving yards and yards per attempt, a long with touchdowns, fumbles

DE: Tackles, TFLs, Sacks, QB Pressures, FFs, PDs, and INTs
Old 05-03-2006   #9
GoneTexan
Rookie

Really only one: Making the Probowl or the one with the Most Votes!
GoneTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006   #10
alphajoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 8706 alphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respected

How about defensive/offensive rankings? Last year the Texans were 31 in total D. I think the Saints in total offense were ranked around 20 or so.
alphajoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006   #11
tex2theend
Rookie

Bush - Days on IR
Williams - Days Manning, Leftwich, Young spends on IR
tex2theend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006   #12
RB5
Rookie

Quote:
Williams - Days Manning, Leftwich, Young spends on IR
Love it, but all that matters is WINS.
RB5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006   #13
GrandPa
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap_Star
You're forgetting forced fumbles and tipped passes at the line of scrimmage. (He is 6'7" with a 40 in. vertical.)
Added Forced Fumbles not sure tipped passes are a stat that is kept???
Old 05-04-2006   #14
GrandPa
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas
God get over reggie bush jesus
Will not get over it until I am convinced that it is not one of the worst #1 draft picks ever...

Until then, deal with it because it will be talked about often and management should be held accountable for their actions, just like everyone should be...
Old 05-04-2006   #15
shadowdrinker_x
Rookie

If you're going to track Williams ''Qb hurries'' you would have to track Bush's broken tackles and how many times He made people just flat out miss...in other words..it would get ridiculous...

Just see which one gets the better Fantasy numbers..haha..

It won't be too hard to tell if Mario was the ''better'' pick for you guys...what Bush does has nothing to do with the impact Mario has on your Team...

It's going to come down to much more than how many sacks Mario gets for you guys..if He gets hot, and starts getting sacks at an alarming rate, Teams will start to double Team him, and while his numbers would suffer, his contribution would be immeasurable...because He'd be freeing up other players, and making them better overall...That in itself is huge...

It's not just as simple as 123...you have to look at the big picture...I'm not sure how much Bush will help the Saints..He'll probably get 10 or so touches a Game, and if Teams have to scheme around him, then even if He never touches the ball..He's made an impact...

It's not comparable...All you can do is cheer for YOUR guy..in the big scheme 1 draft pick doesn't make a team...even if He flops, it's not the end of the World..many have flopped before him, and many will flop after He's gone...

I don't think He'll be a ''bust''..but I don't think He'll be a Hall of Fame DE either...
shadowdrinker_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006   #16
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

We have to keep track of how many times a player gets a tackle because of Mario and how many times a receiver or TE is open because of Bush--along with how much impact each player has in games verbally divided by how much they stink in locker rooms after each practice/game. We need a number formula for stench. It has a definite impact on their teammates outlook.

HJam72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006   #17
caspian
Rookie

Send a message via ICQ to caspian Send a message via AIM to caspian Send a message via MSN to caspian Send a message via Yahoo to caspian

Quote:

For Mario Williams I am planning to track: Sacks, Tackles, Assists, Fumble Recoveries, Forced Fumbles and Touchdowns.

I'm with you. No harm in knowing the numbers. Also track wins...versus Tennessee...and verses New Orleans. Just to know...
caspian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006   #18
texman8
Veteran

If you want to compare individual stats,especially btw offensive and defensive players; it is not a fair comparison. You could measure the impact on the team's performance. Say, Texans' defense ranking in yardage given and scoring defense. Team wins is the final indicator.
texman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006   #19
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think team wins is much of an indicator. Obviously, you can't say that so and so was a better pick than so and so just because the Steelers won more games than the Titans. You could go by how many more or less we win this year compared to last year over how many the Saints win compared to last, but that will be skewed by a whole new coaching staff and other smaller factors as well--like the Saints moving to LA in mid-season or something.

HJam72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006   #20
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222742 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeOilTanker
tickets and jerseys sold!....duh, why else would you pick a player

So what impact on the games outcome does jersey sales have ? :brickwall

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read