Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-03-2006   #1
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 44196 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Draft Luncheon Talk

I really hope that the media shows a lot of what was said at the draft luncheon. (Lost of media there) The luncheon was fabu.

Mark Vandermeer, CC and Kubiak spoke. (Also some president of some bank sponsoring the deal who wouldn't be quiet so they never got to our questions)

Some brief thoughts as I gotta leave soon.

1. KUBIAK ROCKS!!! Bigtime. I am not easily impressed. Dude is impressive. Very low key funny. But at the same time when he talks he is actually saying stuff, not just platitudes.

They had this function in the big room at the Westin--about twice as many folks showed up than was at the deal last year. And Kubiak just killed.

I am ready to run through the brick wall for him.

2. Most interesting stuff he said was about competition. That the first things he noticed about the Texans way of doing stuff is that a. There wasn't enough depth; b. There wasn't enough competition--that the competition among players makes everyone better. That free agency and the draft were all about creating more competion throughout the team, not just in selected areas. He also explained why many of the additions would create competition.

3. He talked about gaining experience in the locker room and getting people used to winning. I almost fainted dead away when he was talking about what Moulds brings to the team. Specifically when he said that an experienced player like Moulds is just the guy you want to have helping Mathis out, because though Mathis did great on KR, we need Mathis to be a full time receiver for the team.

4. He talked about the passion the folks showed over the Vince and Reggie thing and that he likes that kind of passion because he is hoping that if we have that for the team, it can help us succeed.

5. Casserly used the word "see" at least 10 times. He cracks me up.

6. They showed highlights of our new draft picks. Sweet.

Most important thing I learned at the draft luncheon. They are going to have a lot fewer outside practices this year. So training camp tickets are likely to be fairly hard to get. I think they were talking 3 outside evening practices.

There was other stuff too. Lots of MB people there so help me out. (Sorry I missed the party pic). Sat next to AJ which was nice.
Texans_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006   #2
kcwilson
All Pro

Rep Power: 12 kcwilson was voted MVPkcwilson was voted MVPkcwilson was voted MVP

Great recap... thanks for keeping us all in the loop.
Old 05-03-2006   #3
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29597 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

The luncheon was fun!! I concur with what Chick said about Kubiac! I was VERY impressed!! The man was very clear about what his goals are for the team, and how he intends to reach them. For those of you who have doubts about our team, all I can say is please just relax, enjoy the ride with this man, and you will be rewarded with a winning team. Very articulate, direct, honest, and passionate!! NOTHING like Capers!! This man was NOT full of a lot of hot air!! I can't wait for the season to get started!! I was so impressed with Kubiac I came home, put on my TEXAN pants and my SB tee shirt. I know in my heart that ONE DAY I'll own a SB tee that will have TEXANS on it!!!!

It's gonna be fun folks!! Give this man a chance to back up what he's been saying!! He deserves that chance, and all the support all us diehard Texans can give him!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006   #4
footballguy69
Rookie

Default Draft Luncheon!

I was very impressed with Kubiak. The man has guts, a vision and you can tell he knows what he is talking about. The competition for positions was refreshing to hear. He wants Carr pushed by Rosenfels, etc. I think this guy will be a success for the Texans. Kubiak stated Mario is only 20 years old and he expects him to be a great player for a long time. It was packed as Texan Chick said. My first luncheon, but it won't be my last!

*Peyton, Vince - that truck was Mario Williams!!!!
footballguy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006   #5
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 12366 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

do you have to pay to get into these things? i want to go to the next one.
Old 05-03-2006   #6
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick
I really hope that the media shows a lot of what was said at the draft luncheon. (Lost of media there) The luncheon was fabu.

Mark Vandermeer, CC and Kubiak spoke. (Also some president of some bank sponsoring the deal who wouldn't be quiet so they never got to our questions)

Some brief thoughts as I gotta leave soon.

1. KUBIAK ROCKS!!! Bigtime. I am not easily impressed. Dude is impressive. Very low key funny. But at the same time when he talks he is actually saying stuff, not just platitudes.

They had this function in the big room at the Westin--about twice as many folks showed up than was at the deal last year. And Kubiak just killed.

2. Most interesting stuff he said was about competition. That the first things he noticed about the Texans way of doing stuff is that a. There wasn't enough depth; b. There wasn't enough competition--that the competition among players makes everyone better. That free agency and the draft were all about creating more competion throughout the team, not just in selected areas. He also explained why many of the additions would create competition.

3. He talked about gaining experience in the locker room and getting people used to winning. I almost fainted dead away when he was talking about what Moulds brings to the team. Specifically when he said that an experienced player like Moulds is just the guy you want to have helping Mathis out, because though Mathis did great on KR, we need Mathis to be a full time receiver for the team.

4. He talked about the passion the folks showed over the Vince and Reggie thing and that he likes that kind of passion because he is hoping that if we have that for the team, it can help us succeed.

5. Casserly used the word "see" at least 10 times. He cracks me up.

6. They showed highlights of our new draft picks. Sweet.

Most important thing I learned at the draft luncheon. They are going to have a lot fewer outside practices this year. So training camp tickets are likely to be fairly hard to get. I think they were talking 3 outside evening practices.

There was other stuff too. Lots of MB people there so help me out. (Sorry I missed the party pic). Sat next to AJ which was nice.
While I live in Fresno and can't obviously attend such functions I more than appreciate your comments on Kubiak. I've grown to respect the man and that is why I'm so high about this season. He's a big time chess player in the game of football. There is no question about what he's doing? We might have some problems and not achieve what we want at 1st, but it won't be because we didn't try. His goal at the start of the season will be to win it all. He won't be satisfied with 4 or 5 games. He will go for the jugular.

The other thing I'm going to say is don't forget the passing game. Everyone expects Kubiak to run the ball big time. Based on what he has done with the receiver coor, I look for more from the passing game than a lot of you expect.

GOOOOO TEEEEEEEEEEEEEEXANS.......................
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006   #7
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 657 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
.... And Kubiak just killed.

That's what we were talking about as we left. How could you possibly not root for this guy? The way he went through the "creating an atmosphere of competition" thing - naming names at that - was eye opening and motivating.

I liked how he recapped the improvements made via the draft and FA at each position. It shows how the improvements to the team goes so far beyond the #1 pick. I liked how he plans to use Putz as a "coach." I liked how he talked about sitting Moulds next to Mathis, hoping that some of the greatness rubs off on Jerome.

Gary speaks from the heart and the gut. He puts it out all out there which is a welcome change from the mechanical Dom.

...and get used to the name Michael Stone. I thought he was just another name on the roster before today but Kubiak spoke very highly of him....
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-03-2006   #8
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Dang, I'm really glad everyone was so impressed with Kubiak. Some how from things I'd heard, was left with the impression that Kubiak was kinda colorless and boring. Guess I heard wrong. Now I'm looking forward
to the chance to watch and listen to him speak myself. And it sounds like he might be a good motivator for the troops.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006   #9
4Texans
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46 4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected

Thanks for the re-cap guys! Sounds like Kubes has a plan for each and every player. I hope the competition gets everyone going.
Old 05-03-2006   #10
Sportsfan
All Pro

So how did you get to go to this? What is it? Where is it? Do you win tickets or what?
I wanna know so I can go to these things! I knew nothing about it
Sportsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006   #11
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 44196 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsfan
So how did you get to go to this? What is it? Where is it? Do you win tickets or what?
I wanna know so I can go to these things! I knew nothing about it

They've been advertising it on the homepage of the website. It was $35 a ticket--proceeds go to the Houston Texans foundation.

In previous years, they've had a Texans preseason luncheon too--that lunch is great because you sit with a player.
Old 05-03-2006   #12
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 12366 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

if they have a preseason luncheon, i'm there.
Old 05-03-2006   #13
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy
Dang, I'm really glad everyone was so impressed with Kubiak. Some how from things I'd heard, was left with the impression that Kubiak was kinda colorless and boring. Guess I heard wrong. Now I'm looking forward
to the chance to watch and listen to him speak myself. And it sounds like he might be a good motivator for the troops.
Completely. Most public speakers underwhelm me. Even preachers--cuz you can detect their schtick. Kubiak is very real. Likeable. You can see his competitiveness, and you could see how he would not be someone to disappoint. He talked to a huge roomful of people like it was a conversation about football--not speechifying or being platitudiness.

He could barely hold his footballguyness in -- he referred to how important the "mike" linebacker is in the 4-3 and why it is important we got Cowart, an experienced guy to step right in. (with no attempt to splain "mike" to the football impaired in the audience. lol).

He's gettin his guys and he will make them believe. He wants smart, football focused, good character guys that will work hard and aren't afraid of competing.

I am so looking forward to the season.
Old 05-03-2006   #14
Lucky

Rep Power: 103975 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
They are going to have a lot fewer outside practices this year. So training camp tickets are likely to be fairly hard to get. I think they were talking 3 outside evening practices.
Only 3? Considering the August time frame, at least one practice will get rained out. This is the wrong time to get less fan friendly. This needs to be reconsidered.
Old 05-03-2006   #15
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9693 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

How many times did he say the word execute?
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006   #16
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky
Only 3? Considering the August time frame, at least one practice will get rained out. This is the wrong time to get less fan friendly. This needs to be reconsidered.

This wasn't announced at the luncheon. It was something I heard.

I was told this was a football decision. With the way Kubiak wants to do things. Football always should beat marketing--the fans will be happy when we win.
Old 05-03-2006   #17
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEEL BLUE TEXANS
How many times did he say the word execute?

Zero to my count.

Did talk about character a bit and how Carr is a QB that gives us a chance to win.
Old 05-03-2006   #18
Dolby
Rookie

Thanks everyone for the report from the luncheon. I agree with several of the others and would like to attend a dinner or luncheon in the future. I saw the sign-up table at the draft party and should have inquired a little further.

Thanks again!

Dolby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006   #19
Lucky

Rep Power: 103975 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I was told this was a football decision. With the way Kubiak wants to do things. Football always should beat marketing--the fans will be happy when we win.
My point is that they could schedule 5 or 6 outdoor practices at night, and 2 or 3 would be moved to the bubble anyway due to weather. Schedule 3 fan practices and we'll be fortunate to get in 2.

I'm not really sure how holding a few outdoor practices at night will keep this team from winning. I like to go to these practices, but I can't make them on any night. Schedule 5 or 6, and I might be able to make 1 or 2 if I get a break from the weather. I think reducing the fan practices sucks and I'm not happy about it.
Old 05-03-2006   #20
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 209608 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
They've been advertising it on the homepage of the website.
Homepage? D'oh! Maybe I should check it more often instead of coming straight to the forums, 'eh?

Thanks for the re-caps, everyone! Nice to hear these things from Texans fans directly, instead of the slanted versions from fishwrap hacks and sports talk radio (two misleading sources if there ever were).

In Kubiak We Trust!

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read