Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-02-2006   #1
pittbull
All Pro

Send a message via AIM to pittbull
Default Richard Smith....

I think a point that everyone is missing, is the Defensive Coordinator, Richard Smith. Regardless of adding Williams in the draft, I think this guy has passion and is going to bring something to this team that it has long needed. One thing that stuck out to me, was the interview when Williams was introduced. He appeared in a casual shirt, when most coaches would have been doused in Texan appearal, especially in front of the owner. The thought I got and his showing "Look, I came to work, even during this draft, and I don't needed a $#@$ Texan polo shirt!" I think he will bring intensity and passion to a defense that we have long needed. I think this may have been our best pick up and his knowledge of how to use, both, the 43 ahd 34 defense will be to our benefit!
Old 05-02-2006   #2
Sportsfan
All Pro

He's known for making his defense more aggresive from what i hear from the experts. He can really motivate these guys to shut down some potent offenses.
Sportsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006   #3
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 28635 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

Yeah, I think it was mentioned on 610 how some critics of Mario note that he took plays off. The announcers noted that Smith isn't gonna allow that to happen.
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006   #4
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 77922 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree that Richard Smith will really motivate our defense. He is going to fire up our D-Line and turn them loose. It will be like Christmas for these guys after having to contain and take up blockers in the 3-4 to be able to go after the QB and make some plays.
kiwitexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006   #5
1337texanfan
Rookie

man as the days go by i cant help but get a little more excited for the coming season. i am ready for the start of the kubiak era in houston football.

1337texanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006   #6
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 22258 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

i'm ready for some shut-up-and-play defense.
Old 05-02-2006   #7
sakebomb
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1859 sakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respected

Hey I was pro Bush and I remember him taking a play off in the national championship. I believe it was a fourth down play. Anyone? Does that ring a bell? Anyone?

I love the defensive picks we made.
sakebomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-02-2006   #8
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 247537 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1337texanfan
man as the days go by i cant help but get a little more excited for the coming season. i am ready for the start of the kubiak era in houston football.

I hear you.

I don't care who you're a fan of or what your team did in the draft and free agency. If you're not getting "a little more excited for the coming season" right about May 1st then there's something dead inside you.
Old 05-02-2006   #9
Mario Williams
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsfan
He's known for making his defense more aggresive from what i hear from the experts. He can really motivate these guys to shut down some potent offenses.
Is that a real quote by Mario Williams in your sig?
Old 05-02-2006   #10
Specter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsfan
Yeah, Thats what I'm hoping for
Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006   #11
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

i think with the guys we have here...the style of defense we need to be playing is aggressive aggressive aggressive...not read and react...not thinking before react...aggressive...attacking defenses are always more entertaining to watch and always seem to be more effective...we are a young defense who needs to be set on just attacking the offense with everything they have...let the super beast run wild on the offense
Old 05-02-2006   #12
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 39244 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyfro
i think with the guys we have here...the style of defense we need to be playing is aggressive aggressive aggressive...not read and react...not thinking before react...aggressive...attacking defenses are always more entertaining to watch and always seem to be more effective...we are a young defense who needs to be set on just attacking the offense with everything they have...let the super beast run wild on the offense
Give that Lubbock lover a pie from Furr's.
Old 05-02-2006   #13
Capster67
Veteran

Default Smith Has Great History in Houston

I loved Smith's work with the Oilers in the late 80's and early 90's. His passion in working with the Oilers special teams was legendary (Eugene Seale et al). Smith was so versatile and knowledgeable that he even coached tight ends and assisted with the o-line in 1992. He knows the game and he knows how to get the players to play it 100%. I'm looking forward to watching his defense play.
Capster67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006   #14
texanskan
Veteran

Section: 115 Row H
Rep Power: 611 texanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Skype™ to texanskan

I love the fact we have a laid back (for an NFL guy) coach but a get in your grill, bad ***, I aint taking crap assistant!

"You either got a jump shot or you slang crack rock"
texanskan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006   #15
slamdunc
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyfro
read and react and think and react...thanks for pulling the scab off the sore. Gary Walker came on 610 after the coaches got whacked. He said the entire defense had our players thinking way too much. Per gary walker (paraphrasing a little bit), Peek needed to be "getting the SOB with the ball, not reacting to blockers or tight ends."

Agressive is what we will get w/ Smith.
slamdunc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006   #16
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 44942 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capster67
Oilers 1992.
Oilers........................, 1992......................., 35-3....................., buffalo....................., cant let it go............................, now he is Defensive co................., thats not funny.......................returns to scene of crime..........................., Jim Eddy wants to coach linebackers..............................., has hatchet in his hand..............................., came to finish job that was started.....................

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006   #17
Sportsfan
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario Williams
Is that a real quote by Mario Williams in your sig?

Haha, no, I just made that up.
I hope he's thinking that in the back of his mind though every time he lines up.
Old 05-03-2006   #18
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

It was Richard Smith who played a large roll in getting The Oilers to start winning after Earl was long gone. I remember he pretty much coined the House of Pain phrase and would wear an army helmet for his hit the beach mentality for special teams.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006   #19
Sportsfan
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano
I remember he pretty much coined the House of Pain phrase and would wear an army helmet for his hit the beach mentality for special teams.
Nice, i like the sound of that.
Old 05-03-2006   #20
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittbull
I think a point that everyone is missing, is the Defensive Coordinator, Richard Smith. Regardless of adding Williams in the draft, I think this guy has passion and is going to bring something to this team that it has long needed. One thing that stuck out to me, was the interview when Williams was introduced. He appeared in a casual shirt, when most coaches would have been doused in Texan appearal, especially in front of the owner. The thought I got and his showing "Look, I came to work, even during this draft, and I don't needed a $#@$ Texan polo shirt!" I think he will bring intensity and passion to a defense that we have long needed. I think this may have been our best pick up and his knowledge of how to use, both, the 43 ahd 34 defense will be to our benefit!
Not only what you have stated, but how he also defended Mario and the pick. He was very articulate and went down the reasons why. He was literally lecturing the press. I found it was interesting that it wasn't Casserly, Kubiak, or McNair defending Williams, it was the guy that was going to coach him that offered up the defense.

By inferance, if you didn't get it, Mario has not yet matured. Bush probably has and people don't realize that. Best example I could give is like Chang vs Samprus in Tennis. When they were young Chang beat Samprus because he was more mature, but once Samprus matured it was no contest.

Mario and the Texans will be fine and it looks like Williams will be a person we won't have to worry about. I still think the off street issues are going to catch up with Bush and its going to NO's worst nightmare.

As Vital would say - ITS SUPER BOWL BABY - GOOOO TEEEEEXANS
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read