Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-02-2006   #1
Grubber119
Rookie

Thumbs up Winston on 790

Eric Winston was on 790 talking with Charlie earlier.

I came away very impressed with him. Sounds like a guy I want trying to help turn the team around

-Loves football, loves to play

-He said that the draft class is excellent and he hopes the other guys come in ready to turn things around

-Very excited to be able to play in back in Texas where he his family can see him play

-The Texans have told him that there are 4 guys playing for 2 tackle spots

-He went to Miami because of the completive atmosphere

-He said his knee probably wasn’t 100% to start last year but he played because he felt it was best for the team...said is feels great now and he said it was apparent at the combine with the times he put up

-Said he never got to play against Mario but said he was looking forward to going against him in practice so they can make each other better

-Watched the draft to see where he and others would go

-Says he is going to be playing with a chip on his shoulder because of he feels like he is better than a 3rd rounder

-Rosenhaus is his agent, says he only does sit-ups in the gym

-Graduated in 3 years with an international finance degree and has finished his graduate degree in marketing
Grubber119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006   #2
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

hmm..4 tackles.

Winston, Spencer, Wand, and.....Who? Salaam? Wade? Wiegert? Bedell?

If only one of those guys is the 4th competitor..that means that the other ones are either gonna be cut, or not playing tackle. Unless the staff was saying only 4 guys really have a chance, or if Winston was told this before Salaam came into the mix... since I could see Wade being the 4th guy, with Wiegert as a guard who COULD play tackle if necessary, and Bedell being a no name who is there to be camp fodder and maybe provide depth.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006   #3
Betro
Rookie

Send a message via AIM to Betro

Spencer is a T? I thought he was a gaurd.
Betro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006   #4
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Thanks for the report Grub ! Dang, wish I could have heard the interview,
but hopefully he'll be making others in the coming weeks and months.
I've heard a lot about this guy, and watched him play last year (TV games),
because he was rated so high and we need the OL help. He did seem to be struggling to come back from his 2004 knee injury, and am glad he's so confident about his return to form.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006   #5
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betro
Spencer is a T? I thought he was a gaurd.
Nope he is gonna be a tackle for us. Ive heard he might even be our LT.. and Winston will be playing RT.
Old 05-02-2006   #6
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Right now, Spencer is at LT and Winston at RT. I don't think it'll stay that way, but that's just my opinion.
HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006   #7
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72
Right now, Spencer is at LT and Winston at RT. I don't think it'll stay that way, but that's just my opinion.
Spencer seems to just cry out RG or RT to me. Winston just seems to cry out LT to me, despite his arms that may be 1.5 inches shorter than ideal.
Old 05-02-2006   #8
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubber119
-Said he never got to play against Mario but said he was looking forward to going against him in practice so they can make each other better

-Says he is going to be playing with a chip on his shoulder because of he feels like he is better than a 3rd rounder
Those are the two most important things to take away from that interview.
Old 05-02-2006   #9
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan
Spencer seems to just cry out RG or RT to me. Winston just seems to cry out LT to me, despite his arms that may be 1.5 inches shorter than ideal.
I agree with that.

Old 05-02-2006   #10
Grid
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan
RT maybe.. hes too big to play RG in the denver scheme.
Old 05-02-2006   #11
kcwilson
All Pro

Rep Power: 12 kcwilson was voted MVPkcwilson was voted MVPkcwilson was voted MVP

Quote:
-Rosenhaus is his agent, says he only does sit-ups in the gym
And the German judge will have to deduct a half a point for that little stumble....
Old 05-02-2006   #12
Erratic Assassin
All Pro

Rep Power: 13 Erratic Assassin was voted MVPErratic Assassin was voted MVPErratic Assassin was voted MVP

Quote:
Who's he mad at? The Texans passed on him 3 times.
Old 05-02-2006   #13
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erratic Assassin
Who's he mad at? The Texans passed on him 3 times.
He didn't expect to be #1 overall, that's for sure, and #65 doesn't count because we took him on the very next pick. Of course, there is that 2nd round pick to be dealt with, but Justice was still available at the time--don't know if that matters or not.

Old 05-02-2006   #14
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid
RT maybe.. hes too big to play RG in the denver scheme.

It's not about size, its about foot speed. While he moves great for his size, its still not LT material for any team, especially not one who runs a zone-scheme.

The OG's do pull more than the OT's, but they are also not as athletic and quick as the OT's.
Old 05-02-2006   #15
houstonhurricane
All Pro

Rep Power: 938 houstonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respected

Actually, Winston's foot speed is perfect for the LT position. However, his "wing span" is not very good for that position and he may need a little more lower body growth. I like him starting at RT and seeing how he progresses.
Old 05-02-2006   #16
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonhurricane
Actually, Winston's foot speed is perfect for the LT position. However, his "wing span" is not very good for that position and he may need a little more lower body growth. I like him starting at RT and seeing how he progresses.
So, we need to tape up some short polls on his arms and give him big shoes with weights in them. That'll do it.

Old 05-02-2006   #17
kcwilson
All Pro

Rep Power: 12 kcwilson was voted MVPkcwilson was voted MVPkcwilson was voted MVP

Quote:
So, we need to tape up some short polls on his arms and give him big shoes with weights in them. That'll do it.
Actually, if he just hangs from the pull up bar on a playset, that will help him grow... Peter did it on the Brady Bunch once, so it has to be true.
Old 05-02-2006   #18
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I'm not sure about the weights or shoes, but the poles sound fine to me.
Old 05-02-2006   #19
houstonhurricane
All Pro

Rep Power: 938 houstonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respected

Personally, I think he should serve as the rope in a tug of war between Mario and Peek...
Old 05-02-2006   #20
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

While I am sure Sherman is going to stick with a competitive traing camp, I am sure that the line is already established. Winston and Spenser will make great players one day, but I doubt they will be on the line this year. They need time to grow and learn the system. As much as the fans may want it otherwise, I am sure the coaches have not changed the lineup from Wand -- Pitts -- Flanigan -- McKinney -- Weigert.

It is interesting to me that in one week we have gone from reports that they will definitely be the Texans' tackles to now Winston saying they will be competing for the position.
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read