Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-02-2006   #1
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro
Default Mario vs. Julius

just thought i'd compare mario william's and julius pepper's junior year stats in college

Julius Peppers: Collected 63 tackles, 9.5 sacks, one forced fumble and three interceptions, including one returned for a touchdown...Three interceptions ranked first in the country among defensive lineman

Mario Williams: Collected 62 tackles, 14.5 sacks, 2 forced fumbles, 1 blocked kick, 1 safty, 4 fumble recoveries, 27.5 tackles for loss

some people have questioned super mario's effort throughout the season but he had more sacks and more forced fumbles than julius...any thoughts?
Old 05-02-2006   #2
Texas
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to Texas

We need to see how he does during the season..the NFL is a whole nother level!
Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006   #3
wenskek
Rookie

mario is going to wreck shop for us for many years to come!
wenskek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006   #4
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 26584 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Peppers had 10 sacks in his rookie year in the NFL and I think Mario at least has to have that many to have to be considered succesful. Now sacks aren't the only thing that determines success, but he also has to provide pressure, cause fumbles, deflections, and stop running plays. All these things will have to come into consideration when we talk about an impact defensive end player. And we'll have to wait and see if he's up to the challenge.
Old 05-02-2006   #5
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

We didn't need him. Babin had 15 sacks, and over 30 tackles for a loss his senior year. Granted he played in an easier conference, but he was doubled teamed all year AND Williams collected almost all of his sacks against weaker teams

Babins last 2 years:
2002 - 15 sacks and 26 tfls
2003 - 115 tackles, 15 sacks, 33 tfls

He may not have been productive as OLB, but remember, neither Williams NOR Babin have EVER played a down as an NFL Defensive End
Old 05-02-2006   #6
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02
We didn't need him. Babin had 15 sacks, and over 30 tackles for a loss his senior year. Granted he played in an easier conference, but he was doubled teamed all year AND Williams collected almost all of his sacks against weaker teams
As did Peppers. Williams was doubled all the time. Lawsom got his #'s off Williams presence.
Old 05-02-2006   #7
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 14154 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

Quote:

Babins last 2 years:
2002 - 15 sacks and 26 tfls
2003 - 115 tackles, 15 sacks, 33 tfls

He may not have been productive as OLB, but remember, neither Williams NOR Babin have EVER played a down as an NFL Defensive End
Hopefully, we'll see Babin at DE more this year.
Sponsored links
Old 05-02-2006   #8
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan
As did Peppers. Williams was doubled all the time. Lawsom got his #'s off Williams presence.
Doubled Williams still couldn't produce as well as Doubled Babin. And ACC isn't the toughest division.
Old 05-02-2006   #9
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Doubled Williams still couldn't produce as well as Doubled Babin. And ACC isn't the toughest division.
DI is always harder than DII, regardless of conference.

So...if you honestly think Babin could do the same job as Mario, then we'll stop this now while you run a lap.
Old 05-02-2006   #10
HeroTime
Rookie

Quote:
DI is always harder than DII, regardless of conference.

So...if you honestly think Babin could do the same job as Mario, then we'll stop this now while you run a lap.
I did not know that WMU was DII, better alert the MAC.
HeroTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006   #11
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeroTime
I did not know that WMU was DII, better alert the MAC.
DI-AA

something of the such.

But he was in the top division regardless.
Old 05-02-2006   #12
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

But if your done with that lap, and still debating with yourself if Babin is better than Mario...the door is that way ---->

just walk away while you still have a shred of dignity.
Old 05-02-2006   #13
Erratic Assassin
All Pro

Rep Power: 13 Erratic Assassin was voted MVPErratic Assassin was voted MVPErratic Assassin was voted MVP

Some of his success might be attributable to his teammate. Having a freakish 6'6" 241 lb. NFL quality teammate who happens to run a 4.43 demanding a lot of attention can take a lot of pressure off a guy. How many other colleges had 2 defensive linemen good enough to be drafted at all much less have 2 taken in the first round? His teammate was the fastest lineman in the draft. I'd like to know how many double-teams Mario faced in college.

Last edited by Erratic Assassin; 05-02-2006 at 07:37 PM.
Erratic Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006   #14
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
DI-AA

something of the such.

But he was in the top division regardless.
To set the recprd straight WMU is a Division I program in the MAC conference. Not DII, not DI-AA.

http://mac-sports.cstv.com/schools/w...-wmu-body.html
Old 05-02-2006   #15
1337texanfan
Rookie

Quote:
plz that is some ROFL material there. babin is like 6'2, 256. he is built like a linebacker more then a DE. you seriously think babin could handle a solid LT. seriously mario is 6'7, 294, and he will get heavier. can someone give me a babin 40 time. i willing to bet it is in the 4.7-maybe 4.65. mario runs 40 in 4.7 and he is alot larger in stature then babin. he move alot swifter then you would expect. i am a football junkie so i watch all of the combine. i even found myself saying wow that a DE, he can really move. i wasn't saying i thought he was the 1st pick in the draft material. but i will say i was impressed on his shuttle and the coordination he showed in the Dline drills. he should have a good rookie season. tell you what if he ever gets that light switch turned on, and he figures out how to be great. he will be a force. with the right kind of coaching and right system that lets mario be mario and get after it every down. he could excel, if he is brought along the right way and not rushed. i hope he was serious when he told the reporter how he would celebrate being the first pick. he told her he was going to go workout. i hope seeing all those people booing him and wanting bush gives him a big chip on his shoulder. hope it fuels his fire to come out there every sunday dominate the line and make QB's fear him. i dont care who we put on that field honestly. all i care about is getting the Wins. if kubes says the offense is enough then who are we to say otherwise. the man has managed how many high powered offenses in the years. i will trust his judgement on how effective this offense can perform in the NFL. i was listening to the callers on 610 and all i here is"you cant win games without putting points on the board". well hell you cant win football games either if you cant keep the other team from punching it in everytime they touch the ball. people seem to forget that a good defense and a good offense can take you a long way in the NFL.
1337texanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006   #16
Napa Auto Parts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 Napa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawzer
I think Peppers had 10 sacks in his rookie year in the NFL and I think Mario at least has to have that many to have to be considered succesful. Now sacks aren't the only thing that determines success, but he also has to provide pressure, cause fumbles, deflections, and stop running plays. All these things will have to come into consideration when we talk about an impact defensive end player. And we'll have to wait and see if he's up to the challenge.

was it ten sacks to lazy to check but if you remember correctly peppers missed some time for some violating the leagues substance programs i think it was for some over the counter suplement. so the number of sacks might of been higher.
Napa Auto Parts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006   #17
Eagles78
Rookie

Quote:
Peppers' motor was questioned when he came out. Peppers got most of his sacks over a very small span of games against poor teams. Mario will rape, just like Peppers.
Mario Williams had three 3 sack games against bad teams and only 1 in the first five games. Oh well good luck this year. Cant wait for week 1. Eagles@Texans. Hopefully Williams will be a factor and will distract everyone from Kearse, Bunkley, Patterson, and Howard reaking havoc in the Texans backfield
Eagles78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006   #18
1337texanfan
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagles78
Mario Williams had three 3 sack games against bad teams and only 1 in the first five games. Oh well good luck this year. Cant wait for week 1. Eagles@Texans. Hopefully Williams will be a factor and will distract everyone from Kearse, Bunkley, Patterson, and Howard reaking havoc in the Texans backfield

yeah kearse has been a real beast for the eagles defense. that dude fell off the NFL map after his first 2 years till he was FA and signed by the eagle, and then once again...fell off the face of the earth.
1337texanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006   #19
Eagles78
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1337texanfan
yeah kearse has been a real beast for the eagles defense. that dude fell off the NFL map after his first 2 years till he was FA and signed by the eagle, and then once again...fell off the face of the earth.
Im looking forward to see Super Mario get owned by Jon Runyan And see David Carr on his back 70 percent of the game. To bad he doesnt have Reggie Bush to dump it off to. Oh well...
Eagles78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006   #20
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10496 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Peppers had Ryan Sims playing next to him his entire career at UNC (Sims went # 6 overall to the Chiefs)

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read