Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 05-02-2006   #1
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 34025 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Arnie wants 2 teams in LA

After meeting with a group of NFL owners, Schwarzenegger said he was there to make sure "we're getting not only one NFL team to the Los Angeles area, Southern California, but to actually get two teams. That's why I came. Why limit it?"

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2430018

Oh boy. Havn't we learned that LA cannot support an NFL team?

Last edited by Errant Hothy; 05-02-2006 at 09:03 PM.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006   #2
swisher
Old School

Rep Power: 669 swisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respected

The entire state of Texas has two teams, and he thinks the city of Los Angeles deserves two?
swisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006   #3
kingh99

[quote=Hoth-Boy]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESPN

After meeting with a group of NFL owners, Schwarzenegger said he was there to make sure "we're getting not only one NFL team to the Los Angeles area, Southern California, but to actually get two teams. That's why I came. Why limit it?"[/qutoe]

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2430018

'

The Coliseum is being renovated for a pro franchise. Reggie Bush engineered his way to NO. Any more obvious?

If there was an online outfit like paypal where you could make friendly wagers I'd be willing to bet anyone here 20 bucks Reggie Bush will be playing for a Socal team 24 months from now. Probably sooner. My crystal ball shows the Saints moving after this season.
Old 05-02-2006   #4
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy
This is LA we're talking about. Not the smartest city in the world.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006   #5
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

I've heard rumors the Chargers might move to LA.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006   #6
Eyeguy
Veteran

[quote=kingh99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy
'

The Coliseum is being renovated for a pro franchise. Reggie Bush engineered his way to NO. Any more obvious?

If there was an online outfit like paypal where you could make friendly wagers I'd be willing to bet anyone here 20 bucks Reggie Bush will be playing for a Socal team 24 months from now. Probably sooner. My crystal ball shows the Saints moving after this season.
I think the reason the NFL is helping pay for repairs on S. Dome is to use it as a semi temporary site for the S. Bowl. If they were to give NO the next 5 SB not already awarded the $ effect on NO would be much greater to the city than the Saints. The major industry in NO now is tourism. The SB is a major cash cow to the economy of a city. 5 SB would be the best help the NFL could give NO
Old 05-02-2006   #7
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Rep Power: 38035 Trap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respected

L.A. already has pro-football team...
Just ask Reggie Bush and USC...
Trap_Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-02-2006   #8
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 52700 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

I just will never understand why the NFL pushes so hard to get a team where no one cares if they have it. The NFL is as successful as it's ever been WITHOUT a team in LA. Greedy bastards!
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006   #9
TwinSisters
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 TwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy
I just will never understand why the NFL pushes so hard to get a team where no one cares if they have it. The NFL is as successful as it's ever been WITHOUT a team in LA. Greedy bastards!
We kinda talked about this in a different thread and I still don't have the exact numbers yet on the current CBA, however here is an old article that explains the old system

Quote:
So how does the NFL's system work? It's a highly complex system that promotes a simple concept -- parity. That's especially true of the game's economic structure.

"Unlike in baseball, N.F.L. teams share the big TV money equally, and everything from the salary cap to the college draft and scheduling is meant to help the laggards catch up," Andres Martinez wrote in the New York Times. "The N.F.L.'s parity promises to remove the chronic pain that makes sports fandom so bittersweet. No one is condemned to rooting for a perennially doomed team. To say there's always next season is no longer an insincere form of consolation. Your losing team really can win the Super Bowl next year."
http://www.andrewsstarspage.com/CBA/12-14cba.htm

That means it is good for everyone to have a team in the LA market. It is in the NFL's best interest to have a team in LA to increase the value of their TV deals ( that sends money to all 32 teams ).

I can't help you with what is going on right now because I haven't seen the new CBA details... however I am guessing that part of what pushed the deal through is a general agreement behind closed doors that the tide will rise by moving some yachts ( language that owners can understand ).

This is why "I" think we are seeing a 'hot' push to put something in L.A.

again
note that it is only an opinion and just speculation without seeing the current CBA
Old 05-03-2006   #10
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingh99
Judging from the look on that guy's face on Friday night when he found out we agreed to terms with Mario....I don't buy it for a second.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006   #11
Hawg
Rookie

CAL EE FORN EE A- Arnie
Old 05-03-2006   #12
nflnutswife
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 925 nflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respected

Is it really possible for California to have 5 NFL teams? Aren't there some kind of restrictions? I know my parents (Socal residents) won't want a team because right now they get several games televised instead of the local team.

Right now there are two very large construction sites developing in the Anaheim area. One indicated it's a new Disney adventure. but the other they tore down a landmark arena (melodyland)? It can certainly handle a stadium. (parking. . .?)
Old 05-03-2006   #13
Bullpen Drew
All Pro

Chuck Norris IS a football team....

BTW, Try the Bullpen Drew BBQ joint! Our motto...

"Nobody beats my meat!"
Bullpen Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006   #14
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249374 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Arnold is just being "over the top" for the media. It's what he does and I imagine that by now it comes as naturally to him as picking up a barbell. It doesn't mean anything and the NFL would never put two teams in the L.A.

They weren't all that happy about it when it happened the first time. One team is fine and they will support that team enough to make it work. They like football in L.A. just fine. They just will not go out of their way to bring the pro game back.

If the league and the state get together to engineer a situation to put pro football there then it will be watched. Apparently the NFL has decided that a team in L.A. is important enough to make it happen.
Old 05-03-2006   #15
MikeMc
All Pro

Well, if SD moves to LA, and NO moves to LA, I guess there could be two teams in LA.

Orange County is the site for a "new" LA team. The Coliseum is the site for another NFL team.

I guess it is all up to which owner will pony up the dough to move into the newer Orange County site.

I could see why Bush would want to move to LA and play in the Colliseum, but I do not think Benson wants that.

I remember talk that AZ and MIN would move. You can scratch AZ, and I guess MIN could always move to SA.
Old 05-03-2006   #16
Bullpen Drew
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMc
You can scratch AZ, and I guess MIN could always move to SA.
Red McCombs sold the team.....

BTW, Try the Bullpen Drew BBQ joint! Our motto...

"Nobody beats my meat!"
Bullpen Drew is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read