Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-02-2006   #1
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Does anyone agree...

when I say that this years draft is probably the one we should've had last year?

I mean, I think we addressed all the needs that were hurting us at the end of our 7-9 season. The primarily being help on both sides of the line of scrimmage and a few skilled positions.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006   #2
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264941 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Did we even draft Oline last year??
Old 05-02-2006   #3
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

It's the draft we should have had 3-4 years ago.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006   #4
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 11661 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek

Yes, but our 2-14 season got Capers and Co. fired and gave us Kubiak. Not the way I would have liked it all to go down, but I'll take it for what it's going to be worth this season.
Old 05-02-2006   #5
trane
Rookie

Default Yes and No

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano
when I say that this years draft is probably the one we should've had last year?

I mean, I think we addressed all the needs that were hurting us at the end of our 7-9 season. The primarily being help on both sides of the line of scrimmage and a few skilled positions.
What was hurting us most was the drafting of guys like Babin and Joppru over the years.
trane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006   #6
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss
Did we even draft Oline last year??

I know we got the center Drew Hogden (spelling) but I can't remember another off of the top of my head.
Old 05-02-2006   #7
TexanAddict
Texan 'til I Die

Rep Power: 77 TexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by trane
What was hurting us most was the drafting of guys like Babin and Joppru over the years.
I like Babin but think he was a reach (especially for what we gave up to get him), no one could have predicted that the Joppru pick would go so freakishly, and unfortunately bad, and don't forget drafting P-Buch in both the 2nd and 3rd rounds last year.
TexanAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-02-2006   #8
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Keep in mind this was considered by far the deepest draft in years. If we were going to have the worst record in the league, isn't this the year to do it?
Old 05-03-2006   #9
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah it was deep. There were plenty of first round material way deep in the third.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006   #10
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264941 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanAddict
I like Babin but think he was a reach (especially for what we gave up to get him), no one could have predicted that the Joppru pick would go so freakishly, and unfortunately bad, and don't forget drafting P-Buch in both the 2nd and 3rd rounds last year.
I swear PBuch is not going to have a good year in '06, because the opponents will have learned by week 5 not to throw it that way.

let Demeco Ryans take care of the runningbacks, and let Buchanon do what he do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOgre
Keep in mind this was considered by far the deepest draft in years. If we were going to have the worst record in the league, isn't this the year to do it?
& look at how many teams still screwed it up.... good thing Capers & co did take a hike, or we'd be on that list too.
Old 05-03-2006   #11
Bearfan Blue and Orange
Veteran

I think this is the best draft since your establishment of the team. You got immediate impact players on both sides of the ball and two of them game changers in OT and DE

I see a good year. I think you will be 8-8 at least and possibly 9-7 but may not make the playoffs. I just remember last year AFC teams won many games and still looked in from the outside.
Bearfan Blue and Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006   #12
Meloy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 Meloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVP

Can't change history, but management seems to be correcting weaknesses quickly. Look away from Bush & just evaluate the draft and free agency & coaching changes & I think we have hope. Another good draft in 2007 for depth (hopefully) & we should have a very solid foundation.
Meloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006   #13
real

Quote:
& look at how many teams still screwed it up.... good thing Capers & co did take a hike, or we'd be on that list too.
What team do you think "screwed it up" ? And what team do you think had the best draft
Old 05-03-2006   #14
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 4279 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearfan Blue and Orange
I think this is the best draft since your establishment of the team. You got immediate impact players on both sides of the ball and two of them game changers in OT and DE

I see a good year. I think you will be 8-8 at least and possibly 9-7 but may not make the playoffs. I just remember last year AFC teams won many games and still looked in from the outside.
Hmm. Have you seen our schedule next year? We have a very strong schedule considering the fact that we just came off of a 2-14 season. I don't know how it managed to get so tough, but oh well. Besides.... the AFC is very strong, especially the three teams in our division, namely the Jaguars and Colts for next season. We have a lot of work before you can say that we will go on a 9-7 streak.

Don't get me wrong... I would give anything for us to have a winning season. But I don't think that just because we made so many positive changes that we can just waltz into the '07 season and come off with wins.

I hope I'm wrong, though.

Old 05-03-2006   #15
LORK 88
Wreck'em Ŧech!

Rep Power: 202 LORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to LORK 88

Probably THE best draft in our 5 year history. Granted, nobody has produced or stepped on the field yet, but there are little if no doubts in my mind that we had a solid draft from top to bottom. We went both BPA and Need at the same time which is how you have the best drafts. Daniels is possibly the only reach, but he was picked in the 4th were we have amazing sucess. Here's to never seeing the #1 pick ever again!!
Old 05-03-2006   #16
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx
What team do you think "screwed it up" ? And what team do you think had the best draft
Off the top of my head, I'm thinking N.O., and Tennessee........ I don't have a problem with their 1st round selection, with the hype around those two, even if they screw up, they drafted who they were "supposed" to, so it wouldn't be a big deal if they do flop. But neither(IIRC) addressed any real needs...... Of course, I don't know what their offseasons were like, so I may be wrong, on assessing their needs.

Dallas...... that's another one...... after Bobby Carpenter, I'm thinking WTF??? Their OLine looked as bad as ours at the end of 2005. One injury, to any of their projected starters, and they are right back to where they were. I thought surely Bill would get them some depth, but he doesn't......... He's got another tightend... and I can't remember what else..... Coleman is their answer at FS........
Old 05-03-2006   #17
Bullpen Drew
All Pro

Well last year was a different story with Doom Capers...

Now we are going to use the 4-3 so we needed people to cover that....

We got O-line help with Flanagan and that guy who was with Denver(help me out with his name)...our needs change every year...

BTW, Try the Bullpen Drew BBQ joint! Our motto...

"Nobody beats my meat!"
Bullpen Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006   #18
real

I think bobby carpenter was a good addition to the boys...it may not have been what they "needed" but it will make them stronger on D...I like what the patriots did...lose vinatieri and get the number 1 place kicker...i think that could work for them...I think detroit could have done better...but everybody else looked pretty good...how could u not do good in a draft so deep
Old 05-03-2006   #19
slamdunc
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx
The Bills draft was pretty bad...trading up for McCargo?
slamdunc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006   #20
slamdunc
Rookie

Quote:
Off the top of my head, I'm thinking N.O., and Tennessee........ I don't have a problem with their 1st round selection, with the hype around those two, even if they screw up, they drafted who they were "supposed" to, so it wouldn't be a big deal if they do flop. But neither(IIRC) addressed any real needs...... Of course, I don't know what their offseasons were like, so I may be wrong, on assessing their needs.

Dallas...... that's another one...... after Bobby Carpenter, I'm thinking WTF??? Their OLine looked as bad as ours at the end of 2005. One injury, to any of their projected starters, and they are right back to where they were. I thought surely Bill would get them some depth, but he doesn't......... He's got another tightend... and I can't remember what else..... Coleman is their answer at FS........
Thunder-

Tennessee's was not that bad in my opinion. LenDale was pretty good pick in 2nd, a) he was first round talent and b) neither Chris Brown or Travis Henry can stay healthy. Mahelona in the 5th was pretty solid also.
slamdunc is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read