Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-02-2006   #1
pearland
Rookie

Default everyone's views are equally invalid

Will Mario be the greatest? Most likely not. Will Reggie be the greatest? Most likely not.
Will Mario be a Bust? Most likely not. Will Reggie be a Bust? Most likely not.

Based on history, most everyone's opinion is constantly wrong.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...erbrook/060502

Also, see the comments on the NC State

Tuesday Morning Quarterback has long been suspicious of cases in which two highly drafted players played similar positions on the same college team. In 1998, for example, quarterback Peyton Manning of Tennessee was a first-round choice, and wide receiver Marcus Nash of Tennessee also a first-round choice. Nash was a bust: Manning had made him look better than he was. Call it Nearby Nepotism -- beware of collegians who played near other good collegians. Nearby Nepotism ran wild at this year's draft. Ohio State linebacker A.J. Hawk went fifth, then Ohio State linebacker Bobby Carpenter went 18th -- most likely they made each other seem better. Three members of the Florida State front seven -- Ernie Sims, Kamerion Wimberly and Brodrick Bunkley -- went in the first 14 selections, and most likely made each other look better. The cake was taken when three of NC State's four defensive linemen went in the first 26 selections. NC State had a 6-5 record -- if its D-line was so fabulous, how come the team barely broke .500? Buffalo used the 26th overall choice on defensive tackle John McCargo, who lined up next to the top overall choice, Williams. Most likely Williams made McCargo look better than he is. Or maybe McCargo made Williams look better than he is: either way someone is in for disappointment. Yours truly is guessing that of the trio of teams that took Florida State frontline defenders (Cleveland, Philadelphia and San Diego) and the trio that drafted NC State defensive linemen (Houston, Buffalo and San Francisco), many will soon be asking themselves, "How come this guy doesn't look as good as he did in college?"

Last edited by pearland; 05-02-2006 at 12:55 PM.
pearland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006   #2
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 34649 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearland
See the comments on the NC State

Tuesday Morning Quarterback has long been suspicious of cases in which two highly drafted players played similar positions on the same college team. In 1998, for example, quarterback Peyton Manning of Tennessee was a first-round choice, and wide receiver Marcus Nash of Tennessee also a first-round choice. Nash was a bust: Manning had made him look better than he was. Call it Nearby Nepotism -- beware of collegians who played near other good collegians. Nearby Nepotism ran wild at this year's draft. Ohio State linebacker A.J. Hawk went fifth, then Ohio State linebacker Bobby Carpenter went 18th -- most likely they made each other seem better. Three members of the Florida State front seven -- Ernie Sims, Kamerion Wimberly and Brodrick Bunkley -- went in the first 14 selections, and most likely made each other look better. The cake was taken when three of NC State's four defensive linemen went in the first 26 selections. NC State had a 6-5 record -- if its D-line was so fabulous, how come the team barely broke .500? Buffalo used the 26th overall choice on defensive tackle John McCargo, who lined up next to the top overall choice, Williams. Most likely Williams made McCargo look better than he is. Or maybe McCargo made Williams look better than he is: either way someone is in for disappointment. Yours truly is guessing that of the trio of teams that took Florida State frontline defenders (Cleveland, Philadelphia and San Diego) and the trio that drafted NC State defensive linemen (Houston, Buffalo and San Francisco), many will soon be asking themselves, "How come this guy doesn't look as good as he did in college?"
So shouldn't that men Peppers sucks becasue Ryan (?) Simms was drafted also in the first round? (and yes I know Sims has been a bust)

I think it would be better to say beware those draft from the same school/squad NOT drafted first. I'd have no issues with Mario, Hawk, Peppers, etc. As for E. Sims going first...well he was picked by Detriot so there ya go.

Last edited by Errant Hothy; 05-02-2006 at 01:02 PM.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006   #3
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 272221 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Either way, he's saying one guy makes the other guys look better. Marvin Harrison looked pretty good before Peyton, but Peyton has made him look even better.

It's not like we're bringing Mario in with a bunch of scrubs. It's too early to call bust on Babin & TJ...... both ranked highly in college. Then Robair was a beast in a 4-3. Then Demeco Ryans & eventually Wong..... Dunta, and an excellent cover corner PBuch.

Mario is the final piece, that should anchor this line for years to come. He isn't the corner stone with which we will build from.
Old 05-02-2006   #4
pearland
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss
Either way, he's saying one guy makes the other guys look better. Marvin Harrison looked pretty good before Peyton, but Peyton has made him look even better.

It's not like we're bringing Mario in with a bunch of scrubs. It's too early to call bust on Babin & TJ...... both ranked highly in college. Then Robair was a beast in a 4-3. Then Demeco Ryans & eventually Wong..... Dunta, and an excellent cover corner PBuch.

Mario is the final piece, that should anchor this line for years to come. He isn't the corner stone with which we will build from.
I agree with everything stated except Babin. Babin is a bust. He's worthless.
Old 05-02-2006   #5
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 272221 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
You haven't even seen him play as a DE...... how can he be a bust??
Old 05-02-2006   #6
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

I think many of us are basing our decisions on what the coach has said after studying hours and hours of film. This is not a decision just because Casserly said so or McNair said so. This is not just what he did at the combine. This was a decision based on coach Kubiak who said he has not seen many better in his 12 years in the NFL and he has studied a lot of film of DE's. He said it was the combinations being put together. In other words its like what an Ali could do vs a no name or journey man boxer. This is different than McClain or Justice saying how good he is or isn't. This isn't what ESPN or any other broadcaster thinks. You are right that there is a possibility that Williams could be a bust, but you assume your risk is a whole lot less when someone like Kubiak says I really don't think so. In fact he feels just the opposite. That is what it is all about when you draft a player in the NFL. Your drafting in a way that you hope minimizes the risk.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006   #7
Dime
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Will Mario be the greatest? Most likely not. Will Reggie be the greatest? Most likely not.
Will Mario be a Bust? Most likely not. Will Reggie be a Bust? Most likely not.

Also, see the comments on the NC State

Ok... from this logic... Andre Johnson must be horrible since our team did only 2 wins last year. Quit acting like it can be done all by one or two people. If the whole team doesnt play.. they will lose. Williams is a awesome pick.
Old 05-02-2006   #8
pearland
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dime
Ok... from this logic... Andre Johnson must be horrible since our team did only 2 wins last year. Quit acting like it can be done all by one or two people. If the whole team doesnt play.. they will lose. Williams is a awesome pick.

Ok.. from this logic. Quit acting like a #1 pick is guaranteed to be a great player or that our team can be turned around by one or two people. If the whole team is poorly selected players. they will lose. Quit acting like "_________ that the Texans picked is an awesome pick." Fill in the blank with anyone.
Old 05-02-2006   #9
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I won't be so harsh as to call him worthless but to me he's all hype and very little else.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006   #10
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Hmmm. The converse is that everyone's opinions are equally valid.

Quote:
Going draft metaphysical, are we?

Based on my reading of the MB, I would contend that we are all constantly wrong, but some people are constantly wronger than others. This is merely an observation but not anything scientific.
Texans_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006   #11
pearland
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWJD
I won't be so harsh as to call him worthless but to me he's all hype and very little else.
Goodpoint. I agree. I let my emotions get the best of me. I correct myself and say that Babin is overrated and is a disappointment for a first day draft pick. Even if we selected him in the 2nd round, I think he was a reach.

We seem to give up very good opportunities for these selecting. Opportunity cost has killed us. I am mostly referring not to the potential of the player that we picked, but the opportunity to select others instead. The Texans would have much better talent on the team if it was not for the Babin & Buch deals. A first round selection should be a STARTER; Babin is NOT starter material. A second round pick should be a STARTER or at least a STRONG backup. A thrid round pick could be a starter or a STRONG backup. With Babin & Buch, we get neither.

Looking at this year's first rounder's, Babin was a horrible selection for a first round pick. When the pick was made in 04, I did not know much about him. I watched him on the preseasons and on the games. He looks lost. He seems not to have a nose for the football. No gifted talent. No instincts.

But... if we had not had the Babin & Buch deals, we most likely would not have had the first pick this year.
Old 05-02-2006   #12
Mailman04
Veteran

NC State had a 6-5 record because their offense sucked.
Mailman04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006   #13
JDizzle
I'm a dude

Rep Power: 7477 JDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respected

I think alot of guys on the defense fell victim to Vic Fangio. Who it is remains to be seen, however. Who knows what will come of Babin. He was a pretty good pass rusher in college, so you never know. I say get him to lean out, make him compete for a roster spot, and see what comes of it.
JDizzle is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read