Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-01-2006   #1
bdiddy
Veteran

Default Eric Winston Starting RT?

Do you think Winston will be our starting RT?
Old 05-01-2006   #2
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

I dunno..the guy we just signed, Salaam, may be an RT for us.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006   #3
bdiddy
Veteran

True, but I think he will compete at the left side against Wand as a temporary replacement for a year or two before Spencer moves in.

Winston is ready to start now.
Old 05-01-2006   #4
Texas
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to Texas

He will start somewhere on our line no doubt!@
Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006   #5
texanskan
Veteran

Section: 115 Row H
Rep Power: 611 texanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Skype™ to texanskan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdiddy
True, but I think he will compete at the left side against Wand as a temporary replacement for a year or two before Spencer moves in.

Winston is ready to start now.
agree, I still can't believe we got him in the third round!

"You either got a jump shot or you slang crack rock"
texanskan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006   #6
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10496 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

If he isn't the starting RT by opening day he will be by midseason or as soon as Wiegert gets injured haha
Old 05-01-2006   #7
texanskan
Veteran

Section: 115 Row H
Rep Power: 611 texanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Skype™ to texanskan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker
If he isn't the starting RT by opening day he will be by midseason or as soon as Wiegert gets injured haha
Slow down the last thing we need are injuries. I want the best five guys in there every game and at the same spot.

Please get it right in camp and then lets put this "Texans not having a o-line era" behind us.

"You either got a jump shot or you slang crack rock"
texanskan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-01-2006   #8
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10496 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Wiegert always gets injured, I have come to grips with that
Old 05-01-2006   #9
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

Well the important thing is we have added 4 starter quality olinemen this offseason. Winston, Spencer, Flanagan, and now Salaam. We are also looking at Wand again, and moving McKinney to his natural position at guard. Oh, and we hired Mike Sherman to coach the line, and have an offensive minded HC that knows how to do a roll out.

Id say our line is going to be improved.

But, whether Winston and Spencer start or not.. they will be quality depth, and provide competition in TC. Winston and Spencer are our future.. but if we have vets that can do a better job this next season.. that would be awesome. Give Spencer and Winston a chance to learn the system and get comfortable.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006   #10
blockhead83
All Pro

Send a message via AIM to blockhead83

I love what our FO is doing this off-season. They've finally addressed the two most crucial areas of a football team: the offensive and defensive lines. Kubiak said that we finally have a strength now in our defensive line. Our offensive line isn't shaping up badly either. They accumulated quite a bit of depth at each position on both lines. The only thing we're lacking right now is a proven starter at the different positions. Williams, Winston, Spencer, Babin, Peek, Travis Johnson.....these guys look like good starters, great depth on paper. I can't wait to see how that all unfolds. If we can improve in the trenches, there's no way we won't improve our record next year.

As far as Winston playing RT, after watching him and Spencer's highlight reels, I still like Winston for LT but at this point I have plenty of faith in our coaching staff to make the right choice with all that.
blockhead83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006   #11
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Winston has a real good shot at RT. If he's not starting opening day, I'll presume he'll start somewhere in the middle of the season. At the very least this season, he provides some depth. I don't think the impact will be fully made until his 2nd or 3rd season, when he's fully developed. Same goes for Spencer. These guys might be anchors on our line for years to come. Of course, Seth Wand was taken in the 3rd round and we saw how that turned out... Let's see how they do coming out of training camp however. It's all speculation right now over where they will play.
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006   #12
Wharton
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 12 Wharton was voted MVPWharton was voted MVPWharton was voted MVP

Don't be supprised if he starts at LT. He has the feet for it.
Wharton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006   #13
sprtsfanatic
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam
I think Winston has a real good shot at RT. If he's not starting opening day, I'll presume he'll start somewhere in the middle of the season. At the very least this season, he provides some depth. I don't think the impact will be fully made until his 2nd or 3rd season, when he's fully developed. Same goes for Spencer. These guys might be anchors on our line for years to come. Of course, Seth Wand was taken in the 3rd round and we saw how that turned out... Let's see how they do coming out of training camp however. It's all speculation right now over where they will play.
I dont think its fair to knock seth wand when it was pendry that hasnt been able to analyze talent...it has been reported numerous times that wand was in pendry's dog house for some reason and never saw the field again...it has also been noted that wand did an admirable job when he was placed in at LT as a rookie and that the pocket collapsing was not his fault as it was mckinney at center getting run over and pushed back into Carr....lets wait and see if wand pans out before we hate on him...besides with the improved coaching staff and the fact that he is still here....it should speak volumes of/for his talent and athletic ability...if not he would have been shown the door just like the many that have been since the arrival of the new staff.
sprtsfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006   #14
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtsfanatic
I dont think its fair to knock seth wand when it was pendry that hasnt been able to analyze talent...it has been reported numerous times that wand was in pendry's dog house for some reason and never saw the field again...it has also been noted that wand did an admirable job when he was placed in at LT as a rookie and that the pocket collapsing was not his fault as it was mckinney at center getting run over and pushed back into Carr....lets wait and see if wand pans out before we hate on him...besides with the improved coaching staff and the fact that he is still here....it should speak volumes of/for his talent and athletic ability...if not he would have been shown the door just like the many that have been since the arrival of the new staff.
I agree.
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006   #15
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

One thing I'm absolutely certain about is that our overall O-line AND D-lines will be better this year.

If I had to guess, I'd say that Winston will wind up our starting LT and Spencer our starting RT.

Here's a thought though:

Winston, Pitts, Flannagan, Spencer, Wand

Who knows?
HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006   #16
Texans86
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtsfanatic
Wand has been one of my favorite Texans even if he hasn't seen the field. I think he deserves a shot on a real O-Line, but I'm not sure how much of a chance he gets now. Younger guys have coemm in, and now some experienced vets. Hope Sherman gives him some real help.

Here's the line I've been hoping to see:
(LT) Wand (LG) Pitts (C) Flannigan (RG) Spencer (RT) Winston

Maybe Hodgedon will eventually take over for Flannigan and we can have an extremely young, extremely talented OL for years to come.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read