Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-01-2006   #1
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 88913 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Question why is one worthy and not the other?

why was Julius Peppers worthy of the #2 overall pick and yet Williams isn't worthy of #1?

besides the Bush factor.. no one wanted to trade for "Super" Bush (by reports).

I mean if Bush is the next Gale Sayers/Barry Sanders why wouldn't the Jets trade #4 overall and #20ish overall for

back to subject.. Peppers is worthy but Williams (whom people compare him too) isn't ?
Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006   #2
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 88913 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

suprised.. no answers on this
Old 05-01-2006   #3
BattleRedRaider
All Pro

Rep Power: 19 BattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame BallotBattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame BallotBattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame BallotBattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame BallotBattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame BallotBattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame BallotBattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame BallotBattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame Ballot
Send a message via AIM to BattleRedRaider Send a message via MSN to BattleRedRaider Send a message via Yahoo to BattleRedRaider

Well, the people who are usually ready to argue this aren't online, or maybe they realized what kind of idiotic statements they have been making.
Old 05-01-2006   #4
Specter
Rookie

Bush is not worthy of the first pick. He's the guy that every team would love to have but not for 60 millions dollars. Thats the curse about having the top pick. u pay a premium for the players that you get.
Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006   #5
Mightymike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specter
Bush is not worthy of the first pick. He's the guy that every team would love to have but not for 60 millions dollars. Thats the curse about having the top pick. u pay a premium for the players that you get.
is he not worthy enough for the texans or for any team in the NFL?
Old 05-01-2006   #6
The Preacher
Veteran

Basically the NFL is a hype machine with great marketing, an incredible fan base, and subject to a media that makes a lot off of throwing out opinions. All the buzz was on Bush which is expected since he was a flashy player. Now that the draft is over folks can kick back and after they throw out their various opinions they are paid to give, you'll see Williams was more a victim of the conditions than he was an unworthy pick. If it weren't for Bush the buzz around Mario becoming the league's next dominant DE would have been out of control. It's pretty entertaining I enjoyed the way it all went down(except for Mario getting disrespected) and am certainly pleased with the end result. You can't be sure how dominant any of these guys will be since a lot depends on what is around them. That's what makes the grades somewhat ridiculous is that the NFL is another level where you can't predict who will shine at a Pro Bowl level. Last year nobody predicted Odell Thurman would burst on the scene and many labeled Tatupu as a reach. He certainly wasn't heralded a great value pick. Williams measures up easily with Shawne Merriman so look for Mario to be collapsing guys into the pocket consistently. Reggie was a great college player and it's just too bad for Mario he had to deal with the garbage of getting booed and labeled the biggest mistake ever. It's possibly the most ridiculous reaction and critique you could imagine. If you notice though the guys who know the NFL and played in it think it was definitely the right pick. All those other flambuoyant journalism majors are simply a paid form of trying to get ratings and better advertising revenues. Their opinions simply mean jack.
The Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006   #7
Texas
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to Texas

Because people are just riding on college numbers....
Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-01-2006   #8
outofhnd
All Pro

It was a different kind of worth in this years draft.

A lot of teams placed more priority on filling needs than they did getting who the top ranked player overall. Thats why the jets took D'brick, and Leinhart dropped to 10... Alot of teams passed on blue chips to take talent they could plug in immediately.
Old 05-01-2006   #9
trublu
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas
Because people are just riding on college numbers....
So what should you base a draft pick on?
trublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006   #10
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 17967 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Did our Pacer really need spinners? We just got it running.
(No Carr pun intended.)
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006   #11
LBC_Justin
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 LBC_Justin is a Pro BowlerLBC_Justin is a Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf
why was Julius Peppers worthy of the #2 overall pick and yet Williams isn't worthy of #1?

besides the Bush factor.. no one wanted to trade for "Super" Bush (by reports).

I mean if Bush is the next Gale Sayers/Barry Sanders why wouldn't the Jets trade #4 overall and #20ish overall for

back to subject.. Peppers is worthy but Williams (whom people compare him too) isn't ?
Good post.

Other than a QB I can not think of a single player I would trade Julius Peppers for if we had him on our team.

I have regreted passing on Julius Peppers many times over these last few years. (Although I certainly understand why they picked Carr at the time and I still like Carr.) Peppers is a stud and has made that entire defense much much better than it would be without him.
LBC_Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006   #12
pskinny
Veteran

It's not that Mario wasn't worthy, it's that we passed on Bush the best player in the draft.

I hope it works out for us. I trust Kubiak, and I loved our draft other than the first pick. Hey, if we don't improve this year, Adrian Peterson will be there next.
pskinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006   #13
trublu
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pskinny
It's not that Mario wasn't worthy, it's that we passed on Bush the best player in the draft.

I hope it works out for us. I trust Kubiak, and I loved our draft other than the first pick. Hey, if we don't improve this year, Adrian Peterson will be there next.
I seriously doubt we will have a top 5 pick next year... At least I hope we don't.
trublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006   #14
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 281064 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Super Mario was worth the first pick, especially if it's our pick and that's what we need for the team. But I'm a defense guy, so maybe it's all a matter of perspective. Besides, dominant DEs are hard to come by, and by all accounts, Williams has the potential to be the real deal.
Old 05-02-2006   #15
Specter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightymike
is he not worthy enough for the texans or for any team in the NFL?
Edgerrin James signed a 4 year 30 million dollar deal. Reggie wanted 28 guaranteed and about 55-60 total. He's not worth that much.
Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006   #16
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 78537 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

because it's a copy-cat league. the superbowl participants last year lead the league in sacks. even seattle with their super duper offense had the highest sack total in the NFL (50), while blitzburgh is a QB's worst nightmare (47 sacks, lead the league in hurries according to announcers). the high-powered offenses and best runningbacks got hammered once pressure got to the quarterbacks. the colts & broncos offensive juggernauts didnt stand a chance. the kicker is, the steelers won the superbowl with a 3rd year, 3rd string, undrafted free agent and great blocking ... i highly doubt i'm the only one that noticed that.

julius peppers & that d-line lead carolina to the superbowl. the pats have taken 3 defensive linemen with their first pick during their superbowl frenzy.

that's why a premium was put on getting to the qb.
Old 05-02-2006   #17
Janus3
Veteran

like michael smith said, bush has probably reached his potential. he ran circles around people in college and averaged 8.something yards when he touched the ball. anyone who thinks the end around nonsense will work in the nfl flat out doesn't know football. defenses are faster, stronger and more importantly smarter than in college. mario williams on the other hand has much to learn and can only improve. scary thought. peopel say bush can play wr/rb, well williams can play de/dt. williams is a peppers type de, and i want you to name one person like peppers. bush is a faulk type player, name oone person like faulk. you got lt, tiki, and to an extent curtis martin. what i'm saying is bush is a good player, but people overhype him way to much. they think he'll do what he did in college in the nfl, which is absurd.
Old 05-02-2006   #18
Wolf
100% Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specter
Edgerrin James signed a 4 year 30 million dollar deal. Reggie wanted 28 guaranteed and about 55-60 total. He's not worth that much.
yes, and if we got Reggie and used him "part-time" fans would be complaining about waisting our salary cap money
Old 05-02-2006   #19
Ihategeeks
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25 Ihategeeks is a Hall of FamerIhategeeks is a Hall of FamerIhategeeks is a Hall of FamerIhategeeks is a Hall of FamerIhategeeks is a Hall of FamerIhategeeks is a Hall of FamerIhategeeks is a Hall of FamerIhategeeks is a Hall of FamerIhategeeks is a Hall of FamerIhategeeks is a Hall of Famer

Lol at the Barry Sanders comparison.

Reggie Bush is NOTHING like Barry Sanders
If anything he's the next Westbrook.
Old 05-02-2006   #20
Wolf
100% Texan

I see him as Marshall Faulk

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read