Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-01-2006   #1
BigDTexansFan
All Pro

Default PLEASE READ!!! USA Today Story on Mario Williams

talks about how he offered to quit to take care of his sister and her kids, when he is brother-in-law was killed in Iraq serving in military

Williams once had other plans

The biggest surprise concerning Williams? The defensive end's dream day nearly didn't happen.

Williams pledged to quit football three years ago in order to provide for his sister, her young son and unborn baby after Sgt. Nicholas Hodson, 3rd Battalion, 2nd Marine Division, 2nd Marine Expeditionary Brigade was killed in a Humvee accident during Operation Iraqi Freedom on March 22, 2003.

It turns out Williams is in the best possible position to fulfill his promise after signing his new contract because his sister urged him to fulfill his football promise.

"The war started on the 19th and Nick died on the 22nd near Nasiriyah," Michelon Hodson says.

"After Nick passed, as soon as they told Mario at college, he came to my grandmother's house where I was five months' pregnant and my oldest son was 15 months.

"Mario touched my hand and said, 'Missy, I'll give it all up. I'll quit football and I'll work at McDonald's. He said, 'I'll take care of Marius and your baby.'

Hodson, 26, fought back tears as she spoke.

"I said, 'Mario, if you want to do something for me, then you go and be the best you can be and you make that big money and you will take care of us,' she says. "He was willing to give up his dream for something I needed."

What you do speaks volumes over the hyperbole of a sportswriters

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/footb...s-pledge_x.htm
Old 05-01-2006   #2
Mario Williams
Rookie

Now that is a true character. If he becomes great, he can become anyone's idol.
Old 05-01-2006   #3
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 12627 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDTexansFan
talks about how he offered to quit to take care of his sister and her kids, when he is brother-in-law was killed in Iraq serving in military

The biggest surprise concerning Williams? The defensive end's dream day nearly didn't happen.

Williams pledged to quit football three years ago in order to provide for his sister, her young son and unborn baby after Sgt. Nicholas Hodson, 3rd Battalion, 2nd Marine Division, 2nd Marine Expeditionary Brigade was killed in a Humvee accident during Operation Iraqi Freedom on March 22, 2003.

It turns out Williams is in the best possible position to fulfill his promise after signing his new contract because his sister urged him to fulfill his football promise.

"The war started on the 19th and Nick died on the 22nd near Nasiriyah," Michelon Hodson says.

"After Nick passed, as soon as they told Mario at college, he came to my grandmother's house where I was five months' pregnant and my oldest son was 15 months.

"Mario touched my hand and said, 'Missy, I'll give it all up. I'll quit football and I'll work at McDonald's. He said, 'I'll take care of Marius and your baby.'

"I said, 'Mario, if you want to do something for me, then you go and be the best you can be and you make that big money and you will take care of us,' she says. "He was willing to give up his dream for something I needed."

I won't lie, my eyes started misting when I finished this... Now I KNOW we got high quality players who are high quality people on the inside.
Old 05-01-2006   #4
BattleRedRaider
All Pro

Rep Power: 19 BattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame BallotBattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame BallotBattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame BallotBattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame BallotBattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame BallotBattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame BallotBattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame BallotBattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame Ballot
Send a message via AIM to BattleRedRaider Send a message via MSN to BattleRedRaider Send a message via Yahoo to BattleRedRaider

Great read.

Too bad nobody outside this messageboard will have a chance to read it.
Old 05-01-2006   #5
AtheGreat
Veteran

Wow, this kid seems like he has his priorities straight. I'm glad to see a guy with that kind of attitude come to us, if his playing is a great as his character, we'll be in good shape come this season.
AtheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006   #6
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

McClain and Justice had talked about that on their show and that's why I started the tread. This is why you were hearing about this was a very fine yong man. I keep saying character counts when they put money out for a player. Character counts and it will always mean something.

Fresno State had a basketball player by the name of Rod Higgins. He played a great game for us and went on to the NBA. He had a sister who was on dialysis and wanted to povide for her. He just happened to room with a man by the name of Jordan. They became good friends and the rest is history. Every year Jordan came to Fresno to do a benefit duing th summer because of his assications with Rod. It was for the boys and girls clubs. When the NBA said other players could not come, Jordan came because his contract allowed him too. That happened on a continuous basis every summer until Jordan retired. I admire people who have those kinds of convictions. He did it because he gave his word.

Mario sounds like the same kind of guy. I have that gut feeling that he just may turn out to be real special. I don't think the Texans are going to regret taking him, but our opponents will.

Last edited by Ibar_Harry; 05-01-2006 at 07:06 PM.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006   #7
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7874 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

AHHHHHH!!! Just when I thought I knew who was our highest character guy Mario goes and messes it up!!! Now it is a toss up between Mario Williams and Demeco Ryans
Old 05-01-2006   #8
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 64177 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Bump.

Nice article. Emailed it to friends.
Texans_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006   #9
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 12627 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker
AHHHHHH!!! Just when I thought I knew who was our highest character guy Mario goes and messes it up!!! Now it is a toss up between Mario Williams and Demeco Ryans
Lets call it a tie, that way, we win REAL big.
Old 05-01-2006   #10
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 35068 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Wow! Great story.

Wait I hear something coming from the Bush chorus. What's that? You said Mario Williams is soft and is not committed on the field? Thats right, keep telling yourself that.

Khari, you and your army of smilies can forecast the future. Me presenta, Super Mario!
Old 05-01-2006   #11
zeplin
Veteran

He is definatly got class and maturity. Both of those will help him through his first year in the NFL.
Old 05-01-2006   #12
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

What a guy!!! Now how many people can actually said that to your sister " quit football and work at McDonalds! Wow I wish nothing but best for Mario.
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006   #13
dtran04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2409 dtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respected

I know teams say they want "character guys" but man.......we mean it.
dtran04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006   #14
CoastalTexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 30 CoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to CoastalTexan

Guys like Ryans and Williams seem like class acts. How many athletes have illegitimate children they do not pay child support for and are destructive rather than constructive. They sound like players you can really root for.
CoastalTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006   #15
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 144668 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

These are guys you root for no matter what team their on and most people would agree .

Last edited by Honoring Earl 34; 05-02-2006 at 06:51 AM.
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006   #16
TMac48
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to TMac48

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDTexansFan

Couldn't ask for a better guy.
Old 05-01-2006   #17
Tale Gator
________

Rep Power: 15 Tale Gator could be on the next Madden coverTale Gator could be on the next Madden coverTale Gator could be on the next Madden coverTale Gator could be on the next Madden coverTale Gator could be on the next Madden coverTale Gator could be on the next Madden cover

Wow, Mario has got some real character -- thanks for the article.
Tale Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006   #18
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Rep Power: 35118 Trap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respected

Super Mario has a Super Heart..
Trap_Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006   #19
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 17967 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Without a doubt, I couldn't be more proud to have a guy like that suiting up for my team.

We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006   #20
hot pickle
السلام عليكم

Rep Power: 2074 hot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respected

yah im really gonna enjoy watching this guy

we love yah mario, do your thing
hot pickle is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read