Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Did we address our secondary?

pittbull

Rookie
I would have thought we would picked up Bing in the 4th round, rather than a TE where we have a surplus? Do you think we took care of this issue?

Since we should be able to bring pressure to the QB, theoretically yes. Will we need to address the secondary in the draft next year, we may need to if our current lot does not pan out.

We signed John Walker, CB USC as an UDFA yesterday. Scouts, Inc had him rated as a 5th rounder...and since we didn't have a 5th rounder, I would consider it a good signing.

He's slated to be a safety. Not enough corner skill to play CB.

Like I've said time after time. Either J. Lord or K. Curtis will end up at the FS position. I would much rather prefer Lord since he is bigger, stronger and faster and has been a work in progress since we picked him up. And he did start in a game last year for us.

We had Jimmy Williams right in our hands plus the Z guy from Penn St. I have no faith in Buchanon, I hope most other fans don't either. This is one area of major concern for us, next to the 22 Defensive linemen we have on the team.

We didn't do anything about the secondary. I don't know if they think they can do better with a pass rush and the new cover 2 scheme or if they are waiting until 2007 to address this area. Hopefully someone is there after the June 1 cuts.

The secondary, with the exception of Dunta, is the part of our team that I am most worried about. I have no confidence in P.Buch, and we certainly don't have any dominant safeties to speak of. We'd better have some pressure up front, or our defensive stands will be few and far between!

Yah id say our secondary is, at the moment, our biggest weakness.

I think we are good at #1 CB and SS with Dunta Robinson and Earl/Brown. We may not have a superstar SS but we have 2 young guys who are very capable.

FS and #2 CB worries me.. I think we are probably gonna end up playing Brown at FS and Buchanan at CB. They will have a chance to make a case for themselves as future starters at those positions. With our improved pass rush, I could see both of them having a good year.. assuming that our picks pan out and our new DC knows his stuff.

I am actually hoping that with the number of rookies that were drafted in the dbackfield, the secondary free agent market may open up with some casualties. Guys who are still serviceable (unlike P Puke) and are hoping to carry on, to get us into the 2007 draft. Sometimes experience helps in those type positions.

Yes, we have addressed our secondary. We did so by improving our front 7. When the front 7 can force opposing QB's to rush their passes and decisions it's remarkable how fast the DB's can improve their ability to cover. The majority of DB's in the NFL cannot cover WR's when the QB has enough time to go through 2-4 reads. I'm pretty confident that our DB's will have their day in the sun.

we would've been better served to take safety Ko Simpson with the first pick on the second day. he would've been an opening day starter. we have plenty of tight ends, we need more secondary help, especially safety.

obviously this is why they get the big bucks to evaluate talent and we are on here when we are not at work nit picking every decision....

I think the secondary will be alright. If we can get to the QB i think PBuch starts looking alot better because the recievers have less time to work on him... If he doesnt pan out at corner I still think he could make a good FS..

Texans32 said:
we would've been better served to take safety Ko Simpson with the first pick on the second day. he would've been an opening day starter. we have plenty of tight ends, we need more secondary help, especially safety.

Nobody drafted on the 2nd day is a guaranteed opening day starter. Simpson is clearly someone who was overhyped by fans as 32 teams agreed he wasn't worth anything close to his projected value, OR there is an unannounced rat in his background like a failed substance test.

We just got that guy Tramor Williams from LA Tech..He will bring some competitin in for CB...!

Texas said:
We just got that guy Tramor Williams from LA Tech..He will bring some competitin in for CB...!

UDFAs usually don't bring much competition and most are lucky to make the practice squad...I like your optimism, but be realistic...

If we can get pressure on the QB with any regularity, our secondary will look better than it really is, but I have little confidence in Buchanon at CB and Brown at FS...Pressure can make average players in the secondary look above average, but both of these players are significantly below average at these positions...Hopefully someone is available on 6/1 that can help us...

TheOgre said:
We didn't do anything about the secondary. I don't know if they think they can do better with a pass rush and the new cover 2 scheme or if they are waiting until 2007 to address this area. Hopefully someone is there after the June 1 cuts.

Ty Law is still available and his price could come down know. Wasn't there something like 13 -14 CB's drafted in the first two rounds

SESupergenius said:
We had Jimmy Williams right in our hands plus the Z guy from Penn St. I have no faith in Buchanon, I hope most other fans don't either. This is one area of major concern for us, next to the 22 Defensive linemen we have on the team.

Demeco Ryans>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Jimmy Williams

Back