Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-01-2006   #1
pittbull
All Pro

Send a message via AIM to pittbull
Default How Long Before Houston Gets Respect Again?

In a sports era dominated by the media, high priced athletes, and greedy owners, The Houston Texans managed to do something improbable, building itself to one of the most respected organizations in all of sports! All in Four Years. Not only were the Texans viewed as an up and coming team, Free Agents, coaches, and media personel enjoy this area as a place to be, with tremedous upside. But just like the old kids song, "Houston's bridge is falling down, falling down, falling down, Houston's bridge is falling down, No Reg-gie Bush!"

In one costly decision, the franchise went from being one of the most respected around, to the most laughed at and forever will be. How long will it take to recover and get back to national respect? Even if the Texans were to make a strong rebound this season, for years to come the questionable decision made on April 29th will continue to haunt the team, the owner, but most of all, the city. Let's look at the comparison all want to make, the Jordan vs Bowie Pick. In 1977 Portland won a title, they were on the verge of others when they drafted Bowie, and they haven't been the same since! They have even gone so far to draft players like Sebastian Telfar to make the fans forget of the nightmare that became of that draft, but the franchise has yet to recover. Are we the NFL version of MLB's Tampa Bay Devil Rays or NBA's Portland Trailblazers? I think so!

Another way to look at it is this. Benson, owner of the New Orleans Saints went from N.O's version of Bud Adams, to the most respected man in Louisianna History. One pick put him back on the map, in terms of respect, the city back on the map, and launched what will be a financial generator for the community. McNair could have done the same for us! Could you imagine the respect and love Houston would have received nationally, drafting Superman in cleats, and the media attention placed on Houston for the next 10 years. Does it help you to win......Yes! Free Agents go where they are on T.V., Monday Night and Sunday Night games, playoffs come, and then national following. All that disappeared like a fart in the wind, after Casserly and McNair blew one!

What potentially did Houston miss out on? Yeah, I believe we got a heck of a ball player in Mario Williams. Add him to DeMeco Lyons and the Texans got the best of the NFL raft, with the best 1-2 combo! Now, add the Free and Strong Safeties, middle LB, and cornerback also needed to make this a better defense and we have something cooking, ooops, that is too much for us to handle in 1 draft.......exactly.

Regardless of drafting Bush or Williams, the Texans still need a core of players to bring them in the likes of the Colts and Steelers, as we have been so dooped into thinking we can challenge with the pick of Williams. Even with picking Bush, the Texans could have filled all major holes with picks on April 29, 2006 the only exception is, Williams' DE position, would have been filled with a third or fourth rounder, that can also have upside. Let's be honest, Lundy, RB from VA is no Reggie Bush. DeAngelo Williams, the second back taken is not in the same class as Bush, but there is a chance a host of DE's could be the same type of impact player as Williams. bush was rated the #1 prospect in 10 years. If the Texans would have been patient and played this thing smart, they may have seen the draft unravel like bad yarn, as it did. Think about Bush running behind Winstin Justice? Guys were dropping in the draft faster than our hearts did on Thursday eveing. This could have been the greatest Texan draft in history, but fear in the front office let the NFL's closest Version of Michael Jordan get away. Instead, New Orleans will reap our mistakes, with West & EAST coast love, as New Peaceful Hurricane has blown into town. Hurricane Bush will bring that community together, I just wonder, how much he could have done for us.
Old 05-01-2006   #2
pittbull
All Pro

Default 3-4 super bowls!

By the way, my answer.......Not unless we win 3-4 super bowls after this blunder! Otherwise, we may never recover!
Old 05-01-2006   #3
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 337617 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittbull
In one costly decision, the franchise went from being one of the most respected around, to the most laughed at and forever will be.
We did?

I hate to break it to you, man, but the expansion team without a winning season hasn't had much respect since before our first season (when "respect" was based on a shiny new stadium and practice facility).

You earn respect in the NFL by winning...something that has yet to happen with our Texans.

But Coach Kubiak has nothing but winning on his mind, so maybe respect is closer than we think.
Old 05-01-2006   #4
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13071 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
But just like the old kids song, "Houston's bridge is falling down, falling down, falling down, Houston's bridge is falling down, No Reg-gie Bush!"
The dubious honor goes to the London bridge, but I'm sure some bridge in Houston is falling too
Old 05-01-2006   #5
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 56442 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

Win football games. I don't give a crap what ANYBODY around the country thinks or says.
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006   #6
ojthecat
Veteran

Reggie Bush is not equal to Michael Jordon !!!

Defense wins in football. Reggie Bush (if he signs) is more of a receiver than a running back he will not be as good in the NFL as he was in college.

Mario Williams will be better. Buddy Ryan said it best "It's hard for the Quarterback to throw the ball with tears in his eyes". This is what we have been missing. I can't wait for Peyton to be carted off the field in Indy after Mario flys around for the sack.
Old 05-01-2006   #7
pittbull
All Pro

Default we were.....

In terms of respect, everyone thought we were a playoff team last season. I believe the veterans let us down, and so did the coaching staff. Free agents would have come, especially with adding someone of Bush's playmaking ability,and A new coach in Kub's. We are financially receptive as we all know, overpaying often for people. We were more respected than most realize, then all that disappeared.
Old 05-01-2006   #8
pittbull
All Pro

Default Buddy Ryan

How many titles dows Buddy Ryan Have?.........OH!
Old 05-01-2006   #9
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 56442 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

And enough of the Jordan/Bowie references. Last time I checked, those guys played basketball, with one trying to play baseball. Bush and Mario play football. Apples and oranges.
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006   #10
ojthecat
Veteran

Quote:

85 Bears count in my book.
Old 05-01-2006   #11
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Rep Power: 337617 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He was the genius behind one of the greatest defenses in NFL history, the '85 Bears and their 46.

Dude knows his defensive talent.
Old 05-01-2006   #12
pittbull
All Pro

Default Just a unique experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojthecat
Reggie Bush is not equal to Michael Jordon !!!

Defense wins in football. Reggie Bush (if he signs) is more of a receiver than a running back he will not be as good in the NFL as he was in college.

Mario Williams will be better. Buddy Ryan said it best "It's hard for the Quarterback to throw the ball with tears in his eyes". This is what we have been missing. I can't wait for Peyton to be carted off the field in Indy after Mario flys around for the sack.
By the way, if No one else in this league has carried Peyton off the field, what makes Houston fans think Mario will? I love Williams and I will support him, I just think we missed the boat on this one, that would have brought a unique experience to our football team in Houston!
Old 05-01-2006   #13
pittbull
All Pro

Default True....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojthecat
85 Bears count in my book.

Oops, True!
Old 05-01-2006   #14
ojthecat
Veteran

Quote:
that would have brought a unique experience to our football team in Houston!

I like Kubiak and McNair's idea to bring an different "unique experience" to Relaint ----- WINNING
Old 05-01-2006   #15
BattleRedRaider
All Pro

Rep Power: 19 BattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame BallotBattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame BallotBattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame BallotBattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame BallotBattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame BallotBattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame BallotBattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame BallotBattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame Ballot
Send a message via AIM to BattleRedRaider Send a message via MSN to BattleRedRaider Send a message via Yahoo to BattleRedRaider

Quote:
By the way, if No one else in this league has carried Peyton off the field, what makes Houston fans think Mario will? I love Williams and I will support him, I just think we missed the boat on this one, that would have brought a unique experience to our football team in Houston!
We may have missed that boat, but we got on the RIGHT boat.
Old 05-01-2006   #16
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13071 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
For me, a winning season would be a unique experience. Getting our D working is the first step towards that winning season
Old 05-01-2006   #17
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Quote:
By the way, if No one else in this league has carried Peyton off the field, what makes Houston fans think Mario will?
ahhhh, but there is a first time for everything, my friend.

Dude is a pure pocket passer with hardly any mobility. His weakness is pressure, evidenced by the performances he's had with the Steelers and Patriots.
Old 05-01-2006   #18
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 11661 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek

Quote:
Forget carting Peyton off the field. I'll settle for doing him up Pittsburgh/NE style.

We just took a major step in that direction.

Otherwise, I have to think that your post is the same ol
Old 05-01-2006   #19
ensign_lee
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 468 ensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respected

Either when
A) the next time we play the Saints, Mario stuffs Bush's running game and Bush finishes with <100 yards rushing/receiving with 0 touchdowns
or
B) when we make the playoffs and win our first game. That'll put us on the map.

All these delusions of "we'll ahve to win a SuperBowl before people recognize us" posts are pure folly. Remember how much respect the Chargers used to get? Compare that to how much they had last year / how much they have now.

Win a playoff game and you'll be golden.
ensign_lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006   #20
ATX_Texan
Veteran

Default Mario hype is out of control

Quote:
Mario Williams will be better.
Based on what? It seems like everyone is trying to pump up this guy like he is the next Reggie White. At first, it was because of all the sacks he had in the second half of ONE season. Now, I am hearing that his lack of sacks before then was unimportant because "sackes are not the real measure of his impact on the defense". What did he do for three years on this defense that made everyone better?

I agree that all the hype by the media over Bush was way over the top and it was doubtful that anyone could ever live up to it. However, the hype that Mario (Super based on what?) is here is getting just as bad.

There have been a ton of half season wonders and draft combine "freaks" that did not amount to anything in the NFL. I have to question investing $24 million on a guy based on a half a season of output.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read