Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-01-2006   #1
Daonly
Veteran

Default Bears wanted TE Daniels

Bears | Team will rely on UDFAs and cut veterans to fix tight end
Sun, 30 Apr 2006 22:28:04 -0700

K.C. Johnson, of the Chicago Tribune, reports Chicago Bears general manager Jerry Angelo said the team would address tight end by looking at undrafted free agents and veterans who are cut. The team wanted TE Owen Daniels, but the Houston Texans drafted him with the first pick in the fourth-round Sunday, April 30. Angelo added, "We'll be looking hard at that position. Just because we didn't get it done (Sunday) doesn't mean we can't do it."

I guess we made the right choice at the top of the 4th round.
Daonly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006   #2
David's Busted Carr
Veteran

Why? Because the Bears (who are known for their powerhouse offense) wanted him? I don't think so.

The 4th round pick is my biggest problem with this draft for me. I don't know how in the world you pass on Ko Simpson with that pick with a GLARING need at safety and this guy projected as a late 1st early 2nd round pick.
David's Busted Carr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006   #3
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 30856 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Norm Hitzgus, a radio guy in Dallas/and one of a few local radio guys who covers every round, is basically saying that Ko Simpson is stupid. Poor Wunderlic, bad interveiws, the works. Probally why several teams passed on him several times.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006   #4
Bearfan Blue and Orange
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy
Norm Hitzgus, a radio guy in Dallas/and one of a few local radio guys who covers every round, is basically saying that Ko Simpson is stupid. Poor Wunderlic, bad interveiws, the works. Probally why several teams passed on him several times.

I heard the same thing other places as well. He was terrible in the interviews and how he handled himself.
Bearfan Blue and Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006   #5
SuperMario
Rookie

Vince had a poor Wunderlic and he got drafted third overall. I thought we were going to take KO Simpson too. But i'm hearing alot of the people here are comparing Daniels to Chris Cooley. If thats the case i'll be happy
SuperMario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006   #6
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 30856 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario
Vince had a poor Wunderlic and he got drafted third overall. I thought we were going to take KO Simpson too. But i'm hearing alot of the people here are comparing Daniels to Chris Cooley. If thats the case i'll be happy
True, but he (VY) interviews well; and probally did ok when teh caoches asked him to go to the chalkboard. That can offset an average Wunderlic (which is what VY's second score was). Rumor has it the Simpson did nothing well in the intervewi/gameplen room. Big difference.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006   #7
CoastalTexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 30 CoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to CoastalTexan

We drafted/signed high character, highly motivated, smart players to work in the team concept. Ko apprently didnt fit in.
CoastalTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-01-2006   #8
Bearfan Blue and Orange
Veteran

I am glad that Kube stuck to his guns on the type of players he is getting and developing. You do not want a cancer in your first year as a head coach when you are trying to win these guys over whom have been lead wrong up to this point.
Bearfan Blue and Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006   #9
Daonly
Veteran

Ko Simpson is old as well.. (23) 3 year sophomore, We also signed a free agent FS, in the offseason, I guess they felt we are ok at that position.
Daonly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006   #10
Texas
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to Texas

Isnt chris cooley a FB? Anyway...Lets trade him to them for a safety .
Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006   #11
SuperMario
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas
Isnt chris cooley a FB? Anyway...Lets trade him to them for a safety .
Chris Cooley a HB/TE
SuperMario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006   #12
CoastalTexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 30 CoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to CoastalTexan

Think David thomas for the longhorns, from what i've read.
CoastalTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006   #13
NederlandTexan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalTexan
Think David thomas for the longhorns, from what i've read.
I think thats why we got Owens in the fourth, the Patriots got the guy ( Thomas ) we were targeting. Very similar type players, but Owens has a little more speed.
NederlandTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006   #14
ensign_lee
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 468 ensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respected

I went to UW-Madison, and I heard this guy's name come up quite a few times.

Granted, Stocco ain't the best QB of all time (haha), but Daniels made quite a few clutch plays in his time. Plus, if he pans out, our TE situation will have gone from 0 capable tight ends to 2, possibly 3 (with Bennie). How is that bad?

I would have liked to have gotten Simpson, but I also trust the Texans FO and don't want my safety getting all turned around and being utterly confused when a play happens. Time will tell. Let's hope that this TE does well, as well as all of our first day picks. wooh! Go Texans!
ensign_lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006   #15
Tejaspro
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by David's Busted Carr
Why? Because the Bears (who are known for their powerhouse offense) wanted him? I don't think so.

The 4th round pick is my biggest problem with this draft for me. I don't know how in the world you pass on Ko Simpson with that pick with a GLARING need at safety and this guy projected as a late 1st early 2nd round pick.
Kubiak stated that since the Texans had signed FA Michael Stone last week, they felt they had that weakness covered.
Tejaspro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006   #16
Mailman04
Veteran

You can;t have Ko Simpson or Darnell Bing at Safety in the NFL. They are basically stupid and won't recognize the plays developing fast enough to succeed. I could care less if they took the TE or whatever, but they were smart to pass on Ko. they didn;t draft off hype and I applaud that.
Mailman04 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read