Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-01-2006   #1
Trogdor014
Veteran

Default Mel Kiper draft grades - Tied for Highest

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft0...ory?id=2412734

Don't know if this has been posted.

Kiper's highest grade in his recap was a B+, and there were three of them.

Us, the Ravens, and 49ers received them.

The Titans got a B and the Saints, even with Bush, only got a C.
Old 05-01-2006   #2
Specter
Rookie

Yeah, I saw that Kiper gave us the top grade (tied). Maybe this will silence the critics a bit, I'll be on the lookout tomorrow on around the horn and PTI to see what they have to say about it. Either way, I'm really happy with our selections and in time everyone will see that Reggie was indeed about Reggie and not the team. I can't wait to see what the new tackles can do for us on the field but from what Eric Winston said in this website, man, it's going to be a good year!
Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006   #3
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specter
Yeah, I saw that Kiper gave us the top grade (tied). Maybe this will silence the critics a bit, I'll be on the lookout tomorrow on around the horn and PTI to see what they have to say about it. Either way, I'm really happy with our selections and in time everyone will see that Reggie was indeed about Reggie and not the team. I can't wait to see what the new tackles can do for us on the field but from what Eric Winston said in this website, man, it's going to be a good year!
I like to see what they have to say as well. Anyway, we sure did a fine job!
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006   #4
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

I thought Kiper was a dumb ***?
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006   #5
Mike Kerns
LYSB Podcast

Section: My Living Room
Rep Power: 1517 Mike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Mike Kerns Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Kerns Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Kerns

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.
I thought Kiper was a dumb ***?
Mike Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006   #6
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 195251 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I don't think it will take long for folks to see that it was a sound decision. I doubt Reggie and Benson will come to terms before TC..... so that will work in our favor. Then when the Saints get down to figuring what they are going to do with their Gazillion dollar backfield, more comparisons will arise.

Then when the talking heads get their heads out of their butts, they'll draw the obvious comparisons to Denver, the system, and their history of drafting runnngbacks.
Old 05-01-2006   #7
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know if he is or not but, he sounds decent given us B+!!
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-01-2006   #8
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

I like Kiper. Hard to fault someones opinion who studies these guys year round. He actually is better to listen to on the radio about other sports compared to people we have around here. As for the grades, I think they will vary from site to site. It is going to be hard for people to look past the Reggie pick. They were saying on Mike and Mike how it is unfair because if Bush is awesome and Mario is is great, he will still be the Sam Bowie of this draft.
HoustonFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006   #9
SuperMario
Rookie

Quote:
IMO, Reggie was all about Reggie. He wanted the money first, team second. Even if we did drafted Reggie, I don't think he would have stayed anyways when his contract is up.
SuperMario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006   #10
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario
IMO, Reggie was all about Reggie. He wanted the money first, team second. Even if we did drafted Reggie, I don't think he would have stayed anyways when his contract is up.
I agree with you even though he said all the right things it always seemed like BS, you know when that salesmen is trying to sell you something you really wanted without any chance of getting a good deal becuase he knows or thinks you have no choice. guess agian Reggie :brickwall
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006   #11
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 24376 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

To glance at Mel's notes of Texans

Quote:
I would have taken Reggie Bush with the first overall pick. But I have to respect the pick of Mario Williams, especially if he's consistent from game to game. DeMeco Ryans at linebacker was a solid second-round pick, while Charles Spencer and Eric Winston will help out the offensive line. With tight end Owen Daniels and RB Wali Lundy, Houston did a very good job of sizing up the board
Personally, I don't see how one grades a draft to give it a certain "letter" - especially when they haven't played a down yet. I guess it's based off needs filled.

Never mind - guess I oughta read the opening statement.
Quote:
There's a clear group of teams that addressed needs and will be better because of it, led by Baltimore, Houston and San Francisco. How all this translates onto the field remains to be seen, but for now the guessing and second-guessing has already begun.
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006   #12
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Too be honest, I did get the feeling that Bush's whole persona was a little toooo good and fakish looking.

When the offseason first started, I was worried about Bush running between the tackles anyway and I'm still not totally, completely, without a doubt convinced that he can do it. He's gonna have to prove it. Maybe he will.

As I've made clear, it's not that first pick I didn't like, but I'll discuss that in another thread.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006   #13
HOOK'EM
Veteran

I dont believe he really wanted to be here in Houston, thats why he priced his self out of here. I think he will do the same to the Saints!
HOOK'EM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006   #14
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Actually, no I'll talk about it here some. The thing about that little article that strikes me is that he had good things to say about Jimmy Williams and Winston Justice, both of which were available to us. Why is it that we pass on great players because of attitude and off-the-field concerns when somebody else is willing to take them? Ya know what? They got through college without getting kicked out didn't they? These guys are approx. 22 yrs. old. Of course they're gonna be a little nutso. I just hate to see this kind of thing happen over and over, year after year, and MOST of them wind up being Pro-Bowl caliber players with no major problems after we pass on them.

Jimmy Williams could have been our OTHER Dunta Robinson. Think about that! 2 OF THEM!!! I'm thinking about coverage sacks. I'm thinking interceptions and corners who WILL hit the opposing RB. Throw in KO Simpson now and I'm thinking about CORNER BLITZES. From which side? Who freaking cares, lol. Either way. Whichever is his blind side.

OK, I'll get over it. (I think.)

Old 05-01-2006   #15
JDizzle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3602 JDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72
Too be honest, I did get the feeling that Bush's whole persona was a little toooo good and fakish looking.
If you watch the tape of Bush holding up the Saints jersey, he's probably the only green roomer that wasn't smiling. Vince, Mario, Brick, etc were all smiling when they got picked. Heck, even Leinart was and he slipped all the way to 10.
JDizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006   #16
Mike Kerns
LYSB Podcast

Section: My Living Room
Rep Power: 1517 Mike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Mike Kerns Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Kerns Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Kerns

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackDizzle
If you watch the tape of Bush holding up the Saints jersey, he's probably the only green roomer that wasn't smiling. Vince, Mario, Brick, etc were all smiling when they got picked. Heck, even Leinart was and he slipped all the way to 10.
I noticed that all week he had an ear to ear grin of pearly whites, but when he held up that jersey, it looked like a forced smirk. He was very transparent. I think he was/is wishing he hadnt "called our bluff" & just taken our initial offer.
Mike Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006   #17
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Got news for ya Reggie:

That was nooooo bluff.

Old 05-01-2006   #18
caspian
Rookie

Send a message via ICQ to caspian Send a message via AIM to caspian Send a message via MSN to caspian Send a message via Yahoo to caspian

Quote:
The main criticism by far is passing on Reggie Bush...which is the one thing Kiper said he disagreed with.
caspian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006   #19
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 85708 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by caspian
The main criticism by far is passing on Reggie Bush...which is the one thing Kiper said he disagreed with.

Well, Kiper didn't even mention the fact that we aquired Eric Moulds with a 5th and Kevin Walter with a 7th. That makes our grade that much higher.

What other team took it's 2006 draft picks and turned them into;
a starting DE
a #1b WR
a #3wr
a starting OLB
at least one OL starter, maybe two

five or six starters from one draft? that's pretty good. Of course, it also reflects on the quality of our previous starters, but still pretty good IMO.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006   #20
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Kiper didn't go out on a limb here with his post draft grades. His lowest grade was a C and his highest grade was a B+.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read