Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Embrace your newest #1 draft pick.

Blake

MMQB
I know alot of people are upset about the way this shook out. I know we all thought Reggie Bush & Vince Young were the greatest thing since sliced bread. But dont take it out on Mario. All he wants to do is transform our defense to a fearsome sack happy unit. He brings an intensity that I desire on our defense.

I just wanted to point out a couple of things about the draft and our team that might make some sense to other people out there.

Reggie Bush is a hell of a prospect at RB. I would have loved to have him. But there are a few things that should worry you about taking a running back in the first round, let alone #1 overall. Carreer length. Running backs have shorter carrers than most on a team. We have a great tandem at RB with Davis, and Morency. We desperatly need help at end, to bring pressure on the QB. How many times did you feel helpless as the opposing QB had all day to find a reciever on 3rd and 13 for a first down? How many times?

Do you really hate Mario, or do you hate not having Bush/Young? Think about it.

p.s. My brother Cameron, created my avatar. Dawn it, and show him that you will support him, as we grow into the team we desperatly need to become.

Texas

Veteran
I looked at it like that a while back? If young/bush wasnt around I would have said man pass up on mario and u need to kill urself... With them it just adds competition..I still think we made the best choice...He will not be a bust...mark my words.

Blake

MMQB
I think there were 3 players that were worth the #1 overall. And we got one of them. I also think we got the one with the most pasion, and the one who will transform our defense to the next "defense wins championships" slogan defense.

Super Mario said:
I know alot of people are upset about the way this shook out. I know we all thought Reggie Bush & Vince Young were the greatest thing since sliced bread. But dont take it out on Mario. All he wants to do is transform our defense to a fearsome sack happy unit. He brings an intensity that I desire on our defense.

Reggie Bush is a hell of a prospect at RB.

Maybe a hell of a prospect at "ATHLETE" he is only a part time RB, Part time WR, PArt time.... whatever...

WILLIAMS IS A FULL TIME DE and the best one out there!!!

Blake

MMQB
Bearfan Blue and Orange said:
Super Mario said:

Reggie Bush is a hell of a prospect at RB.

Maybe a hell of a prospect at "ATHLETE" he is only a part time RB, Part time WR, PArt time.... whatever...

WILLIAMS IS A FULL TIME DE and the best one out there!!!
I hear ya. I wouldnt discount Reggie Bush though. He will help N.O. in so many ways. He was worthy of the #1 overall pick. But so was Williams.

And actually, Williams is a DE/DT. He can play all 4 positions. FYI. And yes, he is the best on out there. The best one since JP.

gerardo5566

Practice Squad
bottomline we didnt need a rb we need a qb david carr is not a leader he sucks this is going to be his fifth year.i guarantee vince young is going to be one of the top qbs in the nfl.carr is a loser.

Blake

MMQB
Vinny said:
I uploaded the avatar to our bin...Thanks Blake!
Awesome! My bro made it in less than an hour. He amazes me. Glad to help, and be apart of such a wonderful NFL team messageboard.

Bobo

Veteran
Super Mario said:
I hear ya. I wouldnt discount Reggie Bush though. He will help N.O. in so many ways.
I don't think so. You can only get so much production out of one position and the Saints didn't do much to help their OL. They have a real mess over there with Bush coming into a situation with McAllister and Bennett already there. That and the Bush scandal as well as a potential signing problem. I wouldn't want to be in NO now -- for a lot of reasons.

gtexan02

Working?
To answer your original question, I don't dislike Super Mario, I dislike the pick. Its not that I wish we had Bush/Young (although I would have loved either), its that I don't see why we needed Williams. Sure, itd be great to have a pass-rush, but how can we evaluate that need without ever playing a down in the 4-3? Furthermore, we spent 13 million guaranteed on Weaver, signed Kalu, picked TJ 1st last year, and have Babin, Peek, Smith, and Payne, all itching to start. Thats a lot of starting calibur players on 1 DL

gtexan02 said:
To answer your original question, I don't dislike Super Mario, I dislike the pick. Its not that I wish we had Bush/Young (although I would have loved either), its that I don't see why we needed Williams. Sure, itd be great to have a pass-rush, but how can we evaluate that need without ever playing a down in the 4-3? Furthermore, we spent 13 million guaranteed on Weaver, signed Kalu, picked TJ 1st last year, and have Babin, Peek, Smith, and Payne, all itching to start. Thats a lot of starting calibur players on 1 DL

A pass rush would be nice??? Do you want to be in the bottom in defense again this year. Yes, moving from a 3-4 to a 4-3 will instantly help your defense, but also adding a TRUE pass rusher moves you even closer to the middle of the pack without even seeing the 4-3 defense yet. With all the additions to the defense I would rank right now 15-20. Now that the DT can focus on collapsing the run inside, speed in the linebackers without offensive lineman on them will allow them to Fly to the ball and DE's that can actually pin their ears back and be let loose on the QB... This alone is going to shorten the time the secondary will have to run with WRs all over the field like last season without any rush on the QBs.

I saw some stats on an earlier post about the defense last season... QBs averaged 65% completion, 100.0 QB ranking, 24 TDs, etc.

That is what happens when you do not have a pass rush. Qbs can sit back and have 3-4-5 seconds to make their reads and hit the open man after letting the play develop.

With the additions on offense this is what I would expect from the OL of the Texans 3-5 seconds for Carr to allow the plays to develop downfield and in the zones and he will be able to make 3-4 reads instead of looking at AJ midroute and getting sacked or dumping it off right away.

sstandifird

Practice Squad
It's not that I don't like Mario. But, I think they fumbled the ball by not picking Bush. For the Houston fans to truly get behind this draft pick Mario will have to be the next L.T. and Bush & Young will both have to be complete failures. I just don't see that happening though.

Ibar_Harry

All Pro
sstandifird said:
It's not that I don't like Mario. But, I think they fumbled the ball by not picking Bush. For the Houston fans to truly get behind this draft pick Mario will have to be the next L.T. and Bush & Young will both have to be complete failures. I just don't see that happening though.
"The more Kubiak studies Williams, the more he sees freakish athletic sequences that are matched by few other NFL ends he has studied in his 12 pro seasons"

Read and listen to the coach.......

W

whiskeyrbl

sstandifird said:
I agree somewhat, Mario has to be diruptive in the backfield. I think with Ryans, Mario,Peek, Orr, TJ,Smith,Payne,Babin,and Greenwood and our secondary + the new defense and scheme that our D can really improve to be the best we have had. As far as BUsh I don't care he is in the NFC, and VY he has already commited a cardinal sin by talking ******* about beating up on a team when he hasn;t even hit the NFL field. I imagine that quote is already hanging everywhere at the Texans facilities. I want to be at that game....

Hervoyel

BUENO!
That is what happens when you do not have a pass rush. Qbs can sit back and have 3-4-5 seconds to make their reads and hit the open man after letting the play develop...
You know, for years we've all been told that the offensive line was so bad that David Carr barely had time to drop back before he was sacked and, admittedly there have been times, and even whole seasons (2002 calling) where that was the case. In the past two years there has been a slow changing of the conventional wisdom as we've all been forced to conceed that David Carr himself was a contributing factor in this.

I've been told over and over again that he holds on to the ball too long many times and honestly, I never saw it. I understand it's there but I've always wondered why he always looks rushed if he's got enough time.

Even though I've counted to 3 or 4 seconds following the snap it still seems like they're on him in an instant.

Now I'm wondering if he looks as rushed as he does because we have other teams QB's to compare him with all day and since we can't put any pressure on them they all make David Carr look like he has no time.

Ibar_Harry

All Pro
From NFL.COM

"Gil Brandt's Analysis
Well, the favorite in the Kentucky Derby doesn’t always win. Reggie Bush is going to be a great player, and he would have made a bigger splash, but with Domanick Davis already on the roster, the Texans have made a much bigger upgrade at defensive end than they would have at running back. It’s important to remember that Houston’s new head coach is Gary Kubiak, who spent 11 seasons as Denver’s offensive coordinator. Remember how the Broncos have been successful with running backs who were not taken in the first round (Terrell Davis, Mike Anderson, Olandis Gary, etc.). There were six teams who scored more than 25 points per game last season -- three had a left tackle drafted in the top 10, two had a left tackle taken in the top 20, and Denver’s left tackle (Matt Lepsis) was undrafted. Now Kubiak is bringing his system to Houston. The three most important positions on a football team are quarterback, left offensive tackle, and right defensive end, and Houston has added a DE who is much like Julius Peppers and has great upside. He should appear in multiple Pro Bowls."

sstandifird said:

LT, the linebacker for the Giants?

sstandifird

Practice Squad
The thing is; a player like Mario comes around every few years, at least from a prospect stand point. But, a player like Bush is much more of a rarity.

ojthecat

Waterboy
sstandifird said:
As fans we will get behind the Texans and when we make the playoffs Reliant will be rockin!!! It makes no difference what Bush and Young do. What matters is what the Texans (as in win/loss) do.

Thank you Bob McNair

bigcarlos

Waterboy
If you didn't know better, you'd think Casserly took Williams to sabotage the team that's going to fire him:brickwall

sstandifird

Practice Squad
ojthecat said:
As fans we will get behind the Texans and when we make the playoffs Reliant will be rockin!!! It makes no difference what Bush and Young do. What matters is what the Texans (as in win/loss) do.

Thank you Bob McNair
... make the playoffs?
You're jumping a pretty big gap there aren't you.

cuppacoffee

Resident Grouch
bigcarlos said:
If you didn't know better, you'd think Casserly took Williams to sabotage the team that's going to fire him:brickwall
Are you saying that you believe this? Or are you just throwing it out there?

Don't bet your beer money that Cass will be fired.

He may resign, and I wouldn't blame him.

I doubt Mr McNair will fire him. And he shouldn't.

:coffee:

TwinSisters

Veteran
Where in the hell are the 15,000 threads about how Mario should be able to keep his number... and then the 22,000 threads guessing what his number will be... and then the 36,000 threads stating why his number should be this particular number.

eh... like little school girls dreaming about their first boyfriend. Then after a wild night of drinking, they wake up next to Mario Williams... the anger of it all.

:tiptoe: