Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read


Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2006   #1
[[Gary Kubiak]]
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Mario's success will not be measured by sacks!

It's the constant pressure that his presence will place on the opposing offense. That pressure will make EVERYBODY better.

People can't say, "Mario is a bust if he does not get X amount of sacks".
It's been overstated, but Mario is a physical freak. That's not even the best thing going for him. He is one, if not the best technician to come out in 10 years years from the DE position.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006   #2
Youngstown Colt
All Pro
 
Youngstown Colt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Youngstown, Ohio
Age: 30
Posts: 997
Rep Power: 10 Youngstown Colt is ridin' the pine
Default

If you do go back to playing the 4-3, than it's very realistic to say his impact will be measured in sacks. He has all the tools to be a big time sack artist, not a big time pressure guy.
__________________
"If you're flammable and have legs you are never blocking a fire exit." - Mitch
Youngstown Colt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006   #3
Texas
Hall of Fame
 
Texas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Clear Lake
Age: 25
Posts: 1,030
Rep Power: 11 Texas is ridin' the pine
Send a message via AIM to Texas
Default

Man I dont care..As long as he does his job and exceeds a bit then im happy!
Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006   #4
GhostRaider2006
Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Age: 35
Posts: 144
Rep Power: 9 GhostRaider2006 is ridin' the pine
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by [[Gary Kubiak]]
It's the constant pressure that his presence will place on the opposing offense. That pressure will make EVERYBODY better.

People can't say, "Mario is a bust if he does not get X amount of sacks".
It's been overstated, but Mario is a physical freak. That's not even the best thing going for him. He is one, if not the best technician to come out in 10 years years from the DE position.
Ahh I see the excuse for a potential bad first season have begun. Fact is fact this young man has to have a Reggie White kind of season right out of the gates. He has to be up to the levels of Freeny and Peppers. If he isn't he is going to be considered a flop by a massive majority of the fans. It might not be fair and it definatley isn't his fault but that is what is in front of Williams at this moment and will continue to be until he proves otherwise. Unfortunatly the city has be primed now to destroy this young man and like it or not that is just the way it is.
GhostRaider2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006   #5
Texans86
All Pro
 
Texans86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Waco, Texas
Age: 28
Posts: 927
Rep Power: 10 Texans86 is a team player
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostRaider2006
Ahh I see the excuse for a potential bad first season have begun. Fact is fact this young man has to have a Reggie White kind of season right out of the gates. He has to be up to the levels of Freeny and Peppers. If he isn't he is going to be considered a flop by a massive majority of the fans. It might not be fair and it definatley isn't his fault but that is what is in front of Williams at this moment and will continue to be until he proves otherwise. Unfortunatly the city has be primed now to destroy this young man and like it or not that is just the way it is.
Are we taking into account the fact that even the almighty Bush might not have a great season. He still has to get used to the NFL as well. What happens if he gets injured, or holds out or simply doesn't perform up to the highest standards. Does that make our pick a good pick or not. These drafts aren't scored for at least three years, usually four.

There's no reason to expect a pro-bowl season from a rookie, only two out of last year's draft actually accomplished that, and one played for the Texans. The other went #11 to San Diego. No one can seriously expect a pro-bowl from any rookie, including Mr. Bush. That's an unfair comparison. Once he gets a year under his belt, then the stakes are raised much higher.
__________________
"Only the Sith deal in absolutes." ---Wait, isn't that an absolute?
Texans86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006   #6
LBC_Justin
All Pro
 
LBC_Justin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Long Beach, Ca
Age: 39
Posts: 805
Rep Power: 11 LBC_Justin is a Pro BowlerLBC_Justin is a Pro Bowler
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostRaider2006
Ahh I see the excuse for a potential bad first season have begun. Fact is fact this young man has to have a Reggie White kind of season right out of the gates. He has to be up to the levels of Freeny and Peppers. If he isn't he is going to be considered a flop by a massive majority of the fans. It might not be fair and it definatley isn't his fault but that is what is in front of Williams at this moment and will continue to be until he proves otherwise. Unfortunatly the city has be primed now to destroy this young man and like it or not that is just the way it is.
Bush is the best prospect in the last bazillion years. Right?! That's what everyone is saying.

So in my opinion the Texans made the right choice if he doesn't get 1500 rushing yards, close to 1000 recieving yards and score 25 TD's and make NFL primetime EVERY week.

That is the kind of presure he is facing.
LBC_Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006   #7
GhostRaider2006
Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Age: 35
Posts: 144
Rep Power: 9 GhostRaider2006 is ridin' the pine
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans86
Are we taking into account the fact that even the almighty Bush might not have a great season. He still has to get used to the NFL as well. What happens if he gets injured, or holds out or simply doesn't perform up to the highest standards. Does that make our pick a good pick or not. These drafts aren't scored for at least three years, usually four.

There's no reason to expect a pro-bowl season from a rookie, only two out of last year's draft actually accomplished that, and one played for the Texans. The other went #11 to San Diego. No one can seriously expect a pro-bowl from any rookie, including Mr. Bush. That's an unfair comparison. Once he gets a year under his belt, then the stakes are raised much higher.
Uhh what does this have to do with determing if Williams is a flop or a success. Sure he is going to be compared to Vince and Bush thats to be expected but at the end of the day what is going to determine his status as a success or failure is how he plays on our team. And unfortunatley for him that bar hasn't been set high it has been set really really high. And thats just the way it is.
GhostRaider2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-30-2006   #8
GhostRaider2006
Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Age: 35
Posts: 144
Rep Power: 9 GhostRaider2006 is ridin' the pine
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBC_Justin
Bush is the best prospect in the last bazillion years. Right?! That's what everyone is saying.

So in my opinion the Texans made the right choice if he doesn't get 1500 rushing yards, close to 1000 recieving yards and score 25 TD's and make NFL primetime EVERY week.

That is the kind of presure he is facing.
Thats very true. But the difference between the situations now is the fans. This city could have taken losing with Bush but with the way things have panned out now they will not tolerate losing with Williams. As I said this city has now been primed to come down on him if he dosen't perform to the expectations and hype that has been given to him in the last few days by his supporters.
GhostRaider2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006   #9
Bearfan Blue and Orange
Veteran
 
Bearfan Blue and Orange's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Age: 43
Posts: 389
Rep Power: 9 Bearfan Blue and Orange is a team player
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostRaider2006
Thats very true. But the difference between the situations now is the fans. This city could have taken losing with Bush but with the way things have panned out now they will not tolerate losing with Williams. As I said this city has now been primed to come down on him if he dosen't perform to the expectations and hype that has been given to him in the last few days by his supporters.
That is just plain dumb.. not you, but the fact that fans can "willing to lose with Bush" I would be more pressure as a fan to place higher standards especially the way Bush has protrayed himself. Williams has not protrayed himself and a GOD from the NCAA... He has protrayed himself as a player that will come with it all and leave nothing on the field and give everyone his best.

We are forgetting something here... ALL OF THESE ATHLETES ARE UNPROVEN IN THE NFL!!!
Bearfan Blue and Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006   #10
GhostRaider2006
Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Age: 35
Posts: 144
Rep Power: 9 GhostRaider2006 is ridin' the pine
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearfan Blue and Orange
That is just plain dumb.. not you, but the fact that fans can "willing to lose with Bush" I would be more pressure as a fan to place higher standards especially the way Bush has protrayed himself. Williams has not protrayed himself and a GOD from the NCAA... He has protrayed himself as a player that will come with it all and leave nothing on the field and give everyone his best.

We are forgetting something here... ALL OF THESE ATHLETES ARE UNPROVEN IN THE NFL!!!
I to agree that it is dumb but when you have known nothing but losing it is a reality that can be expected.
GhostRaider2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006   #11
Bearfan Blue and Orange
Veteran
 
Bearfan Blue and Orange's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Age: 43
Posts: 389
Rep Power: 9 Bearfan Blue and Orange is a team player
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostRaider2006
I to agree that it is dumb but when you have known nothing but losing it is a reality that can be expected.
As a Bear fan I know about losing... and I am not willing to LOSE with Cedric Benson because we picked him 4th overall. Nor am I willing to lose because we picked up Moose at WR either.

That is what Baseball is for Cubs fans talk like that.
Bearfan Blue and Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006   #12
GhostRaider2006
Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Age: 35
Posts: 144
Rep Power: 9 GhostRaider2006 is ridin' the pine
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearfan Blue and Orange
As a Bear fan I know about losing... and I am not willing to LOSE with Cedric Benson because we picked him 4th overall. Nor am I willing to lose because we picked up Moose at WR either.

That is what Baseball is for Cubs fans talk like that.
Yeah but you have tasted success as well. I mean your team has been a perennial playoff team.Your team has won like what 19 division titles, 8 NFL championships and a Super Bowl. One could expect your reaction with the success your franchise has had but one could also expect the reaction that I have mentioned with the performance the Texans have put forth as well.

I am not saying it is right. I am just saying that is a reality that can be expected.
GhostRaider2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006   #13
Bearfan Blue and Orange
Veteran
 
Bearfan Blue and Orange's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Age: 43
Posts: 389
Rep Power: 9 Bearfan Blue and Orange is a team player
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostRaider2006
Yeah but you have tasted success as well. I mean your team has been a perennial playoff team.Your team has won like what 19 division titles, 8 NFL championships and a Super Bowl. One could expect your reaction with the success your franchise has had but one could also expect the reaction that I have mentioned with the performance the Texans have put forth as well.

I am not saying it is right. I am just saying that is a reality that can be expected.
I know you guys will have success this season. I have no doubt you all will be over .500 this season or better. I will be cheering and watching every weekend as I have someone I know on your team. Kevin Walter the newly added WR. Having AJ, Moulds, and Kevin on the field at the same time is going to be so much fun to watch. and now that offensive line can start to gel with the addition I was hoping for in Justice. When I saw Flanigan went from GB to you guys I was excited even more. He reminds me of our General of our offensive line in Kreutz!!! Kreutz is better of course, but you would expect me to say that.
Bearfan Blue and Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006   #14
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame
 
dalemurphy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Austin
Section: Bullpen/ 636
Age: 40
Posts: 5,725
Rep Power: 55500 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostRaider2006
Ahh I see the excuse for a potential bad first season have begun. Fact is fact this young man has to have a Reggie White kind of season right out of the gates. He has to be up to the levels of Freeny and Peppers. If he isn't he is going to be considered a flop by a massive majority of the fans. It might not be fair and it definatley isn't his fault but that is what is in front of Williams at this moment and will continue to be until he proves otherwise. Unfortunatly the city has be primed now to destroy this young man and like it or not that is just the way it is.
Bruce Smith was considered a bust as a rookie in Buffalo. Besides, I think the point was that Mario will make significant contributions apart from the # of sacks he gets credited for. We are talking about a 300 lb DE. Aside from any stat he receives, he and Weaver will allow Greenwood and Ryans (undersized LBs) to play together and rome the field unscaved. Just watch how much better Greenwood looks this year.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006   #15
GhostRaider2006
Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Age: 35
Posts: 144
Rep Power: 9 GhostRaider2006 is ridin' the pine
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy
Bruce Smith was considered a bust as a rookie in Buffalo. Besides, I think the point was that Mario will make significant contributions apart from the # of sacks he gets credited for. We are talking about a 300 lb DE. Aside from any stat he receives, he and Weaver will allow Greenwood and Ryans (undersized LBs) to play together and rome the field unscaved. Just watch how much better Greenwood looks this year.
Yeah but Smith didn't have a whole city waiting to pounce on him and never recieved that kind of treatment either. This city is so primed right now to have at him I am afraid he won't recover if he performs poorly. Because if he has a bad season the attacks on him are going to be very bad and relentless. A person can only take so much before it starts to affect them permanetly.

Oh and I wasn't basing my arguement on just sacks. As I said before he is going to have to have a Reggie White, Julius Peppers, Dwight Freeny kind of season. He is going to have to be as good and consistent in all the aspects of the game as they were/are right now and he is going to have to do it right out of the gate and all season long or everyone is going to latch onto him like a rabid pitbull.

It isn't fair but as I said before that is the reality that is before this poor kid right now and things aren't looking very good for him right now.
GhostRaider2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006   #16
1337texanfan
Rookie
 
1337texanfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Age: 33
Posts: 23
Rep Power: 0 1337texanfan is ridin' the pine
Default

if mario williams in his first season can impact our defense and bring us into the top half of the nfl defense's this season. i would say that's a bright ray of hope for the future of this defense and franchise. even if he doesnt get alot of sacks, his pressure on the pocket will cause timing issue for QB's. when a typical pocket passer(peyton manning, byron leftwich) get rattled by the continuing collapse of the pocket they start to rush thier progression and make quick and bad choices. if mario can provide constant pressure from the RE and collapse the pocket consistantly(that will be key issue:consistency) he will make any QB feel uncomfortable and will force him to either A) get rid of the ball and risk the INT B) throw the ball away or C) take the sack. either one of these options is fine by me, they all result in a loss of down. i looking forward to seeing this defense in action next season. it should be interesting to say the least.
1337texanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006   #17
tsip
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,277
Rep Power: 13 tsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVP
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy
Bruce Smith was considered a bust as a rookie in Buffalo. Besides, I think the point was that Mario will make significant contributions apart from the # of sacks he gets credited for. We are talking about a 300 lb DE. Aside from any stat he receives, he and Weaver will allow Greenwood and Ryans (undersized LBs) to play together and rome the field unscaved. Just watch how much better Greenwood looks this year.
Good post.We did not get Mario just for the sacks but for everything he 'brings to the table.' First, he will get his sacks. Second, he will draw double teams which will free up other rushers. Third, he will stop runners behind the line of scrimage--set a new record at NCS for this! He is considered a 'beast' by the experts because he is not 'one dimensional.' He can do it all and do it all very well and-very important-he will help to make other players around him better.

Finally, Bush is all about Bush. Fans will warm up to Mario. We've got good RB's that have already proven they can play/produce in the NFL but-until now-we did not have a 'Mario.' You'll see...
tsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006   #18
Bobo
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Age: 61
Posts: 1,375
Rep Power: 0 Bobo does not work well with others
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngstown Colt
If you do go back to playing the 4-3, than it's very realistic to say his impact will be measured in sacks. He has all the tools to be a big time sack artist, not a big time pressure guy.
That's not true at all. Mario's success will be measured in overall turnovers in the form of INTs caused by pressure on the QB as well as incomplete passes caused by the same pressure.
Bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006   #19
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Sugar Land, Texas
Age: 31
Posts: 5,792
Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

Mario's success will be measured by his impact to our team defense, not individual stats.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006   #20
Bobo
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Age: 61
Posts: 1,375
Rep Power: 0 Bobo does not work well with others
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostRaider2006
Ahh I see the excuse for a potential bad first season have begun. Fact is fact this young man has to have a Reggie White kind of season right out of the gates. He has to be up to the levels of Freeny and Peppers. If he isn't he is going to be considered a flop by a massive majority of the fans. It might not be fair and it definatley isn't his fault but that is what is in front of Williams at this moment and will continue to be until he proves otherwise. Unfortunatly the city has be primed now to destroy this young man and like it or not that is just the way it is.
A Reggie White season right out of the gates. That's a ridiculous statement. You are just trying to find a reason to bury the pick as quick as possible and set an unrealistic standard to hopefully prove you are right. That won't work. And I notice you haven't given any standards we can judge Bush by to declare him a bust. With McAllister in NO, Bush certainly is not going to score his 25 TDs in a season. So what stats does Bush have to meet to not be called a bust? I don't see you saying anything like that. This city isn't any more primed to "destroy this young man" than it would be if Bush came here. This city wants the team to succeed and that's the bottom line. Williams will definitely improve this team much, much more than Bush would have. You just watch what happens to Bush in NO. He's in even a worse position there (two 1,000 yard RBs already there, one a two-time Pro Bowler) than he would have been here. Do you think McAllister is just going to sit around and watch his #s get cut in half and affect his marketability?
Bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger