Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-30-2006   #1
TexasJedi
Hall of Fame

Default Cass on CH.13

He was pretty passionate in defending Mario. He looked right into the camera, pointed to himself and said "Blame this guy right here", and something to the effect that I'll go to my grave defending this pick.

Perhaps the more interesting thing was his discussion of Bush. He talked about him not being on the field for much of the Rose Bowl, insinuating he is a part-time player. Perhaps there was more to the decision to take Mario than signability.
-Mario #90
TexasJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006   #2
GhostRaider2006
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasJedi
"Blame this guy right here"
Don't worry Charlie the whole city is lining up.
GhostRaider2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006   #3
SESupergenius

Well, which is it Casserly, does the coaching staff make the decisions or do you? You blamed the previous coaching staff for formulating the team and now you want all limelight on this 1st rounder? I can't ever tell the true story when this guy talks. He so arrogant it's disgusting and weighs very thin win the fans.
Old 04-30-2006   #4
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 94067 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Perhaps there was more to the decision to take Mario than signability.
CC himself said that they were both signable. They took a football decision and decided on Mario. It wasn't about the money. It was about the team.
kiwitexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006   #5
TexasJedi
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan
CC himself said that they were both signable. They took a football decision and decided on Mario. It wasn't about the money. It was about the team.
Well what I meant was that they may not have been as high on Bush as we were lead to believe.
-Mario #90
TexasJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006   #6
Texandiver
Veteran

Bob Allen just asked CC if he was going to be back this year. CC said he doesn't know. He'll be having a meeting with Bob McNair soon. Also said reports about him taking a league office job are wrong.
Texandiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006   #7
GhostRaider2006
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan
Yeah and NFL front offices have never put a spin on their explanations to avoid critiscim before.
Sponsored links
Old 04-30-2006   #8
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He was pretty passionate in defending Mario. He looked right into the camera, pointed to himself and said "Blame this guy right here", and something to the effect that I'll go to my grave defending this pick.

Perhaps the more interesting thing was his discussion of Bush. He talked about him not being on the field for much of the Rose Bowl, insinuating he is a part-time player. Perhaps there was more to the decision to take Mario than signability.

Casserly has said that he had graded Julius Peppers and graded Mario Williams, and Mario graded out higher. If the draft staff really believed that, well then, they did the right football thing. The right thing, even though Williams didn't play in the spotline like the glamour picks.

I think the thing that CC is really doing now is urging the fans to support Mario and not to blame the player for being picked. A lot of people might want to vent their frustration on the player, but the player can't help where he is picked.

And I agree with him on this point. Go Mario!
Texans_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006   #9
Texas
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to Texas

Good pick in Mario...Bush will be great...but only for half a game.
Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006   #10
swisher
Old School

Rep Power: 669 swisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respected

Most interesting thing he said, other than his very passionate plea to not blame Mario, was his description of Bush.

(Paraphrasing here)

Casserly said:

"Reggie Bush was a part time player in college.

Look back at the Rose Bowl, a game alot of people here in Houston remember clearly obviously. Reggie Bush wasn't on the field for half the game. You have to ask yourself, why wasn't he? You need to take that question and analyize it further.

When Earl Campbell played here in Houston he played the entire game. He wasn't a part time player. It's hard to justify paying a guy 9 million dollars a year to play 15 snaps a game.

When you have a great running back and a great defensive end, you take the defensive end. I make that pick 10 times out of 10 and I'll defend that pick for the rest of my career.

Reggie Bush is a great running back. We'll see how he does in New Orleans. We bet on our guy, and in the end I know we made the right choice."

And maybe I'm trying to read way too much into this, but I was struck at the tone of his voice throughout, but especially when he said "We'll see how he does in New Orleans" like he somehow knows he's not going to turn out the way people think he is.

I almost get the impression that people on the inside of the organization were fighting for Williams the entire time, and something happened thursday night to finally convince McNair not to pick Bush. What exactly that was, we may never know.
swisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006   #11
BradK10
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to BradK10 Send a message via Yahoo to BradK10

I'll say this, I like the fire our FO is showing in this whole ordeal. Nothing skittish at all, I like that.
Old 04-30-2006   #12
CoastalTexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 30 CoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to CoastalTexan

If he doesn't get the job with the league, will this draft make or break him?
CoastalTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006   #13
BREAZE
Veteran

Quote:
He picked the Rose Bowl as an example because that was a game most people could relate to. He said you don't pay a guy $9mill a year to be used part-time...Mario will give you every down. This is the 1st time he has used negative reasoning for not taking Bush. I thought the reasoning was nothing more than addressing the defensive side of the ball. Now Cass. seems to be going into his own defensive mode after getting a whiff of the vibe in Houston.

In essence it was a finacial decision because they want to pay big $ for an every down guy. If they believe Bu$h was used soley as a part-time player in college then maybe they have convinced themselves that he may become injury prone in the NFL...
BREAZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006   #14
HoustonFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan
Send a message via AIM to HoustonFan Send a message via MSN to HoustonFan Send a message via Yahoo to HoustonFan

I actually agree w/ Casserly here. Mario seems like a humble person. Hopefully the humble DE runs roughshod over the opposing teams and Vince. YEAH I SAID IT. WHAT???!!!!! Still got love for you VY, but you took it there in wanting to beat up on the Texans. It's all good.
Old 04-30-2006   #15
GhostRaider2006
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradK10
I'll say this, I like the fire our FO is showing in this whole ordeal. Nothing skittish at all, I like that.
Unfortunatley they have to be this way. If they don't act like this they will get steamrolled and they know it. If they show any fear or dissension in the ranks they will get eaten alive.
Old 04-30-2006   #16
BradK10
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to BradK10 Send a message via Yahoo to BradK10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostRaider2006
Unfortunatley they have to be this way. If they don't act like this they will get steamrolled and they know it. If they show any fear or dissension in the ranks they will get eaten alive.
Well I've seen in the past other FO's that haven't been so gung ho in these matters.
Old 04-30-2006   #17
swisher
Old School

Rep Power: 669 swisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostRaider2006
After watching Casserly tonight, there were no reservations in his voice about this pick. I have no doubt that he thinks they did the right thing.

Even though he HAD to know this was coming, he seems pretty ticked off at the backlash from fans.
Old 04-30-2006   #18
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Rank speculation alert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisher
I almost get the impression that people on the inside of the organization were fighting for Williams the entire time, and something happened thursday night to finally convince McNair not to pick Bush. What exactly that was, we may never know.

I think they mostly made the decision after Bush visited Houston. I don't think that visit went well. Check out this account:

Link: Yahoo Sports

Quote:
The mixed signals came even before Bush arrived at a news conference that concluded his visit in Houston. Team officials hesitated before letting him stand in front of the backdrop covered in team logos for the event.
Quote:
The Texans are keeping quiet about the top draft pick. Coach Gary Kubiak didn't answer questions about Bush during a separate news conference earlier on the 2006 schedule
Then the very next day, they get Mario Williams to Houston.

The Texans couldn't say the visit with Bush went unwell that because they didn't want to derail any trade up suitors but I never got the feeling that Bush was in love with the Texans and vice versa, the way it should have been since Bush was in the media's eyes "the consensus #1 pick" and we had the first pick and wheelbarrows full of money.

If you know you are the first pick and you really want to go to that city, you sell yourself like crazy to the locals. Bush never did that.

Here's an example and some inadvertant humor given his parent's house situation:

Reggie Chat Link

Quote:
Texans_Chick: I know you know about the no state income tax in Texas, but did you know that the median house price for Houston is $137,000 (compared to $578,000 in San Diego). Extra good reason to come to Houston, isn't it. And you can drive a nice car here without worrying about getting salt and ice and snow on it. Just sayin.
Reggie:Thanks.
He says "Thanks." Not "Yeah, I've heard great things about Houston and blah blah blah. Perfect opportunity to say something nice about the city. If you look to the rest of the chat, he says nicer stuff about his favorite cartoon character and the potential of having a career modeling.

Just thinking out loud.
Texans_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006   #19
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Casserly said in one interview he called Wednesday morning and Wednesday afternoon and then Thursday morning asking about Bush's problems with the house. They broke off negoiations Thursday afternoon. That's a lot of telephone calls for someone who is not worried.

I think they smelled something was wrong and I believe they are correct. So when you have a close decision and a lot of money invested you are worried about risk. It became very simple, because it looked like the risk was rising rapidly if they took Bush. I think the background of what started to appear scared McNair. I don't think they liked the gang affiliations part of the story. There is more to this story than meets the eye.

I think they began to see that Bush was about Bush, not the team. Everyone that has appeared before the camera has talked about the Team and that has been a major emphasis of Kubiaks. Therefore no one should be surprised and I think the next few weeks are going to explode in the wrong way for Bush. We did not need that nor did McNair and company want that.

There's all kinds of spin to try to not hurt Bush any more than he has been. But I really think the above is the reality of the situation.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006   #20
swisher
Old School

There really does seem to be more to this than meets the eye. I don't know, thinking out loud here too. Maybe it's me trying to rationlize the pick.

But ever since friday night when Williams was announced as the pick, something felt wrong about the whole thing. Not just the pick, but how quickly things turned.

If they had wanted Williams all along, then what was the point of even talking with Reggie's people? To drive the price down on Williams? Or was it because up until Thursday afternoon he was their guy?

I'm telling you, something spooked them.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read