Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-30-2006   #1
pittbull
All Pro

Send a message via AIM to pittbull
Default Passionate Fans???

How does Houston measure up, in terms of passionate fans, against the remainder of the NFL? I spent 30 years in Pittsburgh, family has been season ticket holders for over 35 years, missed 5 games in all my years in pittsburgh, rain, sleet, snow, or hail. Texan fan since the beginning of the franchise, original season ticket holder, flew to home games, ventured alone to away games in hostile, crowds. But, no matter where I have gone, I'm still trying to figue out.....Are our fans passionate or do they just really like football and tailgating? In philly, there still booing Donanvan McNabb, In Baltimore, Elway still cant go into the town, unless having security? In Oakland, good luck being a opposing fan. Pittsburgh STILL BOOS the Rooney's when Dan Marino, University of Pittsburgh, is mentioned (so Vince Young supporters I understand)I know we have the best stadium and great tailgating, but so many opposing fans mention that it's easy to come here, watch a game and easy for the opposing team also. Many say we have a sweet family atmosphere. I had 5 family and friends come to the Pittsburgh game last season, insult our fans the entire game and nothing was mentioned to them. I did that in Pittsburgh, and almost go into 5 fights, but my section knew me for years, and they stood up for me. What do you really think of our fans? What can we do to change the atmosphere to being more intimidating, thus rubbing off on the team?
Old 04-30-2006   #2
houstonhurricane
All Pro

Rep Power: 938 houstonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respected

I grew up in Miami and my family was season ticket holders since the 70's. While the crowds were more passionate in the stands (at least when they played at the Orange Bowl), Texans' fans are more loyal. Trust me, had the Fish gone 2-14 last year, nobody would have showed up to the final few games in Miami.
Old 04-30-2006   #3
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 402769 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

What can we say, we're Texans. It's a southern hospitality thang. '

I don't think rude, obnoxious fans rub off on the team. The head coach is the identity of the team and should be in control of the attitude of the players. Dom Capers was a niiiiiiice guy and wanted to play not to lose, so that was the atmosphere the team adopted.

Hopefully Kubiak has more of a killer instinct and creates a highly disciplined team like past Denver teams. The kind that doesn't get rattled, but comes back to beat you in spite of a bad first half.
Old 04-30-2006   #4
BradK10
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to BradK10 Send a message via Yahoo to BradK10

I've only been to one road game, vs. the Bears in 2004, and we heard more Astros/Cubs smack than smack for the Texans. That was surprising. We won, and also we had advantage over the Cubs too, so not a good day to be sitting in my section that day if you were from Chicago.

On a sidenote, my season tickets for Texans game are in 625, directly in front of the opposing teams families. Oh wow, there is one white trash woman who is a family member of Jags kicker Josh Scobee who I have verbally abused to no end. This woman is probably a dude, and scary looking. She never shuts up, and is really rude. I feel absolutely no wrong saying the things I have to that "woman"
Old 04-30-2006   #5
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

yah i dont think you can "teach" Texans to be rude to strangers. Its not how we do things down here. "Friendly Atmosphere" isnt a Reliant Stadium thing.. its a state wide thing.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006   #6
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Win and we're great fans. Lose and we're not. Frontrunners all the way.

I give people credit for showing up in droves yesterday even though it was only to boo our pick and cheer for the Titans'. Made me ill. But, pissed off passion is better than apathy, I guess.

Do you think if the Vikings passed on Laurence Maroney and Green Bay picked him up, that Vikings fans everywhere would be lighting up their message boards saying how they were all going to "switch" to GB? Never in a million freaking years.

Unfortunately a lot of our fan base is casual and is driven or highly influenced by what makes the news as opposed to true gut passion.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006   #7
NEROtheZERO
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 NEROtheZERO is on the Pro-Bowl ballotNEROtheZERO is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

I am still trying to figure out how verbal assault is indicative of passion.
NEROtheZERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-30-2006   #8
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21216 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonhurricane
I grew up in Miami and my family was season ticket holders since the 70's. While the crowds were more passionate in the stands (at least when they played at the Orange Bowl), Texans' fans are more loyal. Trust me, had the Fish gone 2-14 last year, nobody would have showed up to the final few games in Miami.

Well, if you were at Reliant you would have noticed less than half capacity for the final 4 home games. I grew up in Colorado and you couldn't get onto the wait list for Broncos tickets let alone get season tickets. You could get a game here and there through a scalper or if you knew someone, but the fans there are more passionate, but the team has been one of the best for a long time. You don't want to miss a game when the team is that good. I moved to NoCal during the late 80s and early 90s. The Raiders were still in SoCal and the 49ers were tough tickets to come by. They were winning and people wanted to go to the games.

I think Houston offers so many things to do. If the sports teams are winning that's a thing to do. If they are losing, well, there's always something else that needs to get done. Hardcore fans will go no matter what.
TexanBacker93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006   #9
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Is Greed
I am still trying to figure out how verbal assault is indicative of passion.
pas·sion ( P ) Pronunciation Key (pshn)
n.
A powerful emotion, such as love, joy, hatred, or anger.

1. Ardent love.
2. Strong sexual desire; lust.
3. The object of such love or desire.

4. Boundless enthusiasm: His skills as a player don't quite match his passion for the game.
5. The object of such enthusiasm: Soccer is her passion.
6. An abandoned display of emotion, especially of anger: He's been known to fly into a passion without warning.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006   #10
customdano
Rookie

As a Texan fan in California I'm glad you can welcome other fans into Reliant Stadium. I live in the Central Valley and the only time I have been able to attend a Texan game live was was the 49er 1-1-06. 40yd line 8th row cost me 400.00 cow bells 2 tickets. I was thankful that the fans there didn't give us any cr...........p. The ones I was seated next to had been ticket holders for 25 years.

Did have a loud mouth heckler since we were so close to the Texans bench that gave Banks,& Bradford Holy He.........l Banks about Int's ,And Bradford about his good hands. He did shut up after I gave his two young children some garbage bags to keep dry rain forcasted and he brought them nothing to stay dry. Without other fans we would'nt have any teams to play. 49er fans in general treated us with respect. Dont expect to be going to the Raider game this year though.......... Go Texans .............Good Draft!
customdano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006   #11
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 402769 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanBacker93
Well, if you were at Reliant you would have noticed less than half capacity for the final 4 home games. I grew up in Colorado and you couldn't get onto the wait list for Broncos tickets let alone get season tickets.
Well, to be fair, let us have five Superbowl appearances, two NFL Championships, countless division championsips, and a HoF QB, and then see where our fans are with regards to supporting this team through thick and thin.

I have little doubt that this town would having undying support for it's football team under those circumstances.

As it is, a lot of local football fans are frontrunners because they were conditioned for generations by the Oilers, who always seemed to come up short, like a weird tradition or something. Until we experience the success of consistent winning teams and multiple championships, it'll always be that way.

(Not for some of us, tho'. There are many thousands of us hardcore dedicated Texans fans, some who might even stay pissed off at the club for awhile about this draft...but they'll still be going to the games.)

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read