Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 08-29-2004   #1
phan1
All Pro

Default I don't understand going to OT in preseason...

Well, last year in the preseason I saw teams go for 2-pt conversions at the end so that the game would not result in a tie and go to needless OT. However, it seems like this year, people are trying to go for the 'W' no matter what. Last night, the Pats missed a field goal to send it to OT. So what gives? I guess the 2nd and 3rd teams are pretty much expendable?
phan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004   #2
HoustonTexans4Life
Rookie

Send a message via MSN to HoustonTexans4Life
Default Coaches

Well maybe its cause the coaches are a lil rusty to and its a game situation they need to warm up on there skills a lil to so that might be why !
HoustonTexans4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004   #3
Tulip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Tulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVP

I don't like it. I just don't find it necessary. It's fine to evaluate players under game conditions, but I just don't know if the 2nd string place kicker who is about to be cut or the 5th string running back needs the OT practice.
Old 08-29-2004   #4
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

The more time that those players get to play and show their stuff the greater their chance of getting picked up by another team and making their practice squad or 53 man roster. Think of the preseason as an audition for these 'on the bubble' players, and any added time they get to show their stuff is just frosting on the cake. The downside is that they risk injury, but if they don't show enough in the preseason they won't be playing anywhere anyway.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004   #5
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 120726 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulip
I don't like it. I just don't find it necessary. It's fine to evaluate players under game conditions, but I just don't know if the 2nd string place kicker who is about to be cut or the 5th string running back needs the OT practice.
I agree that they don't need it for their "current" team, but those are the things that help those guys get employed later in the year when kickers, etc. go down or aren't performing.
disaacks3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004   #6
HoustonTexans4Life
Rookie

Send a message via MSN to HoustonTexans4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulip

I said the coaches prolly need a lil practice real game situations (prolly a lil rusty) not the players !
HoustonTexans4Life is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read