Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 04-30-2006   #1
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 107142 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default AJ: were these real Oiler books?

saw this on the titans board.. and I know you followed the Oilers a long time..

were these real books?

or was someone using photoshop?

or Vinny have you seen these too?

Last edited by Wolf; 04-30-2006 at 05:36 PM.
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006   #2
texanskan
Veteran

Section: 115 Row H
Rep Power: 611 texanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Skype™ to texanskan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf
saw this on the titans board.. and I know you followed the Oilers a long time..

were these real books?

or was someone using photoshop?

or Vinny have you seen these too?
I just googled it they are real!

"You either got a jump shot or you slang crack rock"
texanskan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006   #3
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm aware of both and read neither. My masochist tendencies have limits and I've never been a big Fowler guy.

Last edited by aj.; 04-30-2006 at 05:12 PM.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006   #4
TwinSisters
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 TwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVP

Yes these are real.

The latter is better and has more information. The former is more like a 174 page essay instead of a book ( but still packed full of story )
Old 04-30-2006   #5
swisher
Old School

Rep Power: 669 swisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respected

I enjoyed the Ed Fowler book alot. (I read it from cover to cover in one sitting) I think it's a must read for any former Oiler fan. It was written before Bob McNair was awarded the Texans so it has a bleek outlook on the future of the NFL at the end. But it has great stories about Bud Adams and GM Ladd Herzog...it will make you forget anything bad you ever thought or said about Casserly.

The second is more of a recount of each Oiler season. Great book for refrence, especially the bad seasons that people tend to forget about.
swisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006   #6
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Herzeg.

And I doubt there's anything in that book about him (either the mooning of the wedding party, lobbying to fire Bum, or the drafting of Hall of Fame linemen) that would make me change my mind about Casserly. I lived through them both and they are two entirely different animals.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006   #7
TwinSisters
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 TwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVP

I am with Swisher on this one. Those pictures of Bud in Jacksonville are priceless. Poor saps.

( however the second book has way more information about the team and the players themselves, while the first takes on the Front Office, spreadsheets, and the accounting beans. )

I think I am going to go spin my disco mix of the Oiler Cannonball now...

Old 04-30-2006   #8
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 324753 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I've got the second book, "Oiler Blues", and it's a great read for old Oiler fans. It recounts the beginnig of the franchise when Bud had five different coaches in six seasons (or was it six different coaches in five seasons ).

It's a good read, tho', and very impartial about it's subject (in spite of the title, which was true anyway). John McClain helped this guy get published, and I recommend it to anyone that wants to relive the glory days of our old team (both Luv Ya Blue and run & shoot days are covered).

I'll have to look for that Fowler book. He was always one of the enjoyable old timers when I first started listening to talk radio. He had a lot of inside history with the team.
Old 04-30-2006   #9
NederlandTexan
Veteran

I've got Loser Take All, entertaining and sad at the same time.
NederlandTexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read