Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-29-2004   #1
BigDTexansFan
All Pro

Default Banks Last Year

I do not know what his contractual status is with Texans, but does anyone else feel that when B J Symons comes off IR next season Tony will be gone.

On the whole he played better last year in preseason then he did in this preseason, either he is tired or disgusted that no team looked at him in free agency...could be he knows with all QBs we have now he is just the emergency backup that will only play when Carr goes down( let's all pray he stays healthy).
BigDTexansFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004   #2
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

IMO, our back up QBs have played like ***t in preseason and are a big question mark. Banks played MUCH better last year than he has so far this year. Could his broken hand be causing him problems? To answer your question, unless Tony is willing to sign for vet min, I suspect he is gone. Even if he is willing, he is still likely gone, but MIGHT be able to snag the three spot. If Ragone doesn't start showing more, I suspect the coaching staff will start to get nervouse and might pick up a free agent vet next year. Now to Symons. If Rags improves he would move to the 2nd spot and BJ to the three, but if we have to go out (or retain) a vet he will probably be the odd man out with out much of a real try at the position. If I were him, I would be praying that Rags shows marked improvement.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004   #3
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 243165 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I disagree edo. Ragone played great in the first preseason game but sadly nobody he threw the ball to bothered to finish the play. In Pittsburgh he did nothing special but then niether did anyone else. Stinky performance by everyone. Ditto IMO with the second and third teams in Denver but Ragone does look improved over last season. By how much is certainly up for debate but he's better.

Banks I will agree has been abysmal since the preseason started. I don't know what's going on with Banks but I think that this might be his last season backing up Carr. By the start of 2005 it's going to be Carr, Ragone, Symons or possibly even Carr, Symons, Ragone. Banks work here will be done.
Old 08-29-2004   #4
vtech9
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 vtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to vtech9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel
By the start of 2005 it's going to be Carr, Ragone, Symons or possibly even Carr, Symons, Ragone. Banks work here will be done.
Herv, I tend to agree with you, only I think that unless Ragone vastly improves, Symons will be the #2 with Ragone as the 3rd QB.
vtech9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004   #5
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

By next season, if Ragone doesn't show substantial improvement, particularly in live game situations, the Texans will be pretty much forced to retain some sort of veteran QB talent by keeping Banks or getting a FA. They can't/won't rely on a guy who isn't getting it done and some guy off of the PUP squad who hasn't played, to be the group backing up David. That would be recipe for dissaster.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004   #6
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

Tony Banks has already said he probably won't be here next year. He wants to go to a team where he can start.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004   #7
Htown34s
Veteran

Looks like we'll have to pick up another Banks-style guy. A journeyman QB with experience who can adapt easily. I just don't see Ragone as our #2 next year...
Old 08-30-2004   #8
TexasAggie
Rookie

Thumbs up

Next year Texans sign Trent Dilfer to back up David and trade Ragone for future draft choice, like Packers did with A Brooks , M Hasselbeck etc..
TexasAggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004   #9
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Ragone could probably benefit from a stint in NFLE (reps). I wouldn't be surprised if it happens.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004   #10
Lucky

Rep Power: 132950 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWJD
Tony Banks has already said he probably won't be here next year. He wants to go to a team where he can start.
Where would that team be? In Canada? If Banks wants a job in the NFL, he'll take a backup job and like it.
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004   #11
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

I don't know whether you said it in jest, but David and Trent are very close friends and Trent had a lot to do with the development of David prior to his senior year. They worked out together all that summer as I understand it after Trent had won the SB. It's an interesting possibility. There would be no competition and Trent certainly fits the Houston mold character wise. He has also invested his money wisely as far as I know. I believe he and David may be in business together.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read