Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-29-2006   #1
brstyles
waterboy

Default An honest look at what the franchise has done.

I know how upset most fans are with the decision that the Texans have made, and it is totally justified to an extent. Just like most other Texans fans I was just floored and deflated when I found out last night that they had reached a deal with Mario Williams. I have been pro Reggie since we finished the season and locked up the first pick in the draft. We have all heard how he is a once in a generation running back....scratch that.....once in a generation pro prospect/athlete. I honestly believe that all of the hype about him is true and founded too, but here is my take on the Texans' picks for what it's worth.

1. I think Reggie has the ability and the most likelyhood to be the next Barry Sanders, who in my opinion is one of if not the greatest running back of all time, but can you tell me how many super bowls Barry carried the Lions to?

2. I am a huge proponet of the running game. Pittsburgh's gameplan on both sides of the ball get me going, but do you think they would have won the superbowl or even gotten there without Troy Polamalu and the rest of the top rated defense in the NFL? The Bus is awesome, but he didn't get them there.

3. Look at the Pats and Pittsburgh. They have a sound offense, but they also have had a better than average defense as well. That is what has made them chapions and set them apart from the rest of the teams.

4. If we had drafted Reggie would anyone here really say that our offense would be equivalant to Indy from last year or KC from the past 2 or 3 years? I don't think so. That being said how far have those two teams gotten each season. Those are arguably the two strongest offensive teams in the NFL right now and they consistantly fall short.

We have to improve our defense if we want to be seriously considered a playoff caliber team. That is what Mr. McNair and Coach Kubiak are trying to build here. It actually makes me feel good that "Mr. Offense" Gary Kubiak is willing to bypass a guaranteed star and playmaker to actually improve the team and give us a true chance to make the playoffs and possibly a trip to the super bowl.
brstyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006   #2
Snapple
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by brstyles
1. I think Reggie has the ability and the most likelyhood to be the next Barry Sanders, who in my opinion is one of if not the greatest running back of all time, but can you tell me how many super bowls Barry carried the Lions to?
You can't honestly think it's Barry's fault the Lions never made the Superbowl. He's the only reason that horrible team made the post-season. If they had drafted some defensive player instead of Barry Sanders, they never would've made the NFC championship game like they did. Hell, they never would've had a winning record.

Quote:
2. I am a huge proponet of the running game. Pittsburgh's gameplan on both sides of the ball get me going, but do you think they would have won the superbowl or even gotten there without Troy Polamalu and the rest of the top rated defense in the NFL? The Bus is awesome, but he didn't get them there.
The Steelers would've missed the playoffs if it weren't for the Bus. And he practically carried the entire team in 2004 when they went 15-1.

Quote:
3. Look at the Pats and Pittsburgh. They have a sound offense, but they also have had a better than average defense as well. That is what has made them chapions and set them apart from the rest of the teams.
Okay, so you need both offense and defense to win. How does that make Bush a bad pick?

Quote:
4. If we had drafted Reggie would anyone here really say that our offense would be equivalant to Indy from last year or KC from the past 2 or 3 years? I don't think so. That being said how far have those two teams gotten each season. Those are arguably the two strongest offensive teams in the NFL right now and they consistantly fall short.
'99 St. Louis Rams, '94 San Francisco 49ers, all of the '90s Cowboys teams, they won Superbowls with loaded offense, not loaded defense.

Quote:
We have to improve our defense if we want to be seriously considered a playoff caliber team.
We need improvements on both sides of the ball, not just defense. When you have the #1 pick, if you want it to go the farthest, you take the best player available, or you trade it away for a lucrative deal. You don't try to force an unworthy player into the #1 pick to fill a need. That's how #1 picks become flops.

Quote:
That is what Mr. McNair and Coach Kubiak are trying to build here. It actually makes me feel good that "Mr. Offense" Gary Kubiak is willing to bypass a guaranteed star and playmaker to actually improve the team and give us a true chance to make the playoffs and possibly a trip to the super bowl.
Of course they're trying to get to the Superbowl. Every team is. Mario Williams was a bad choice, though.
Snapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006   #3
New_Texans
All Pro

Rep Power: 29 New_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapple
Okay, so you need both offense and defense to win. How does that make Bush a bad pick?
Hes not a bad pick but Williams was better for this team...stop being so freaking close minded!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reggie is great we know that but he wasnt going to make the Texans the Colts!!
Old 04-30-2006   #4
erasethevirus
Rookie

Quote:
The Steelers would've missed the playoffs if it weren't for the Bus. And he practically carried the entire team in 2004 when they went 15-1.
no one player carrys an nfl team to 15-1. thats the most retarded statment i have heard in the last two days
erasethevirus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006   #5
UGA
Rookie

snapple has pretty much owned the correct in this thread.

when you have the first pick, you take the best player in the draft, not talk your way out of taking what many deem a "one in a lifetime" player. make no mistake, we are the laughing stock of the football world. no amount of homers on this site can change that fact. we did something nobody else in the league would have.

its not that Williams is a bad player, quite the opposite is true. he will help the team, and on the whole i belive we made some very nice upgrades with our four first day picks.

but Bush was the play this year, and we got scared, overthought a no brainer situation and could very possibly regret it for YEARS to come.
UGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006   #6
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 300095 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
all of the '90s Cowboys teams, they won Superbowls with loaded offense, not loaded defense.
Sure they did. 1992 Cowboys 4th O, 1st D, 1993 Cowboys 4th O, 8th D, 1995 Cowboys 7th O, 8th D. Those were balanced teams which played both sides of the ball very well.
Old 04-30-2006   #7
Sportsfan
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
Sure they did. 1992 Cowboys 4th O, 1st D, 1993 Cowboys 4th O, 8th D, 1995 Cowboys 7th O, 8th D. Those were balanced teams which played both sides of the ball very well.

Word
Sportsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-30-2006   #8
brstyles
waterboy

There is absolutely no way that anyone could say that Barry Sanders kept the Lions from getting to the super bowl. He was the only reason that they stood a snowballs chance in the first place. Secondly Snapple, all of the teams you mentioned did have great offenses, but why don't you take a peek at those defensive stats posted just above this one. Reggie was and still is the best player in this draft in my opinion. I would just hate for the Texans to become another KC, Indy, or Detroit and it's now obvious that McNair and Kubiak aren't going to allow that to happen.
brstyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006   #9
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17175 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGA

but Bush was the play this year, and we got scared, overthought a no brainer situation and could very possibly regret it for YEARS to come.
We might regret it the one time we play the Saints every 4 years. Unless there is a Houston vs. New Orleans Super Bowl I don't see this pick haunting us.

Since a lot of the Bush and VY fans like to play what if. I have one too.

What if Reggie Bush runs for 1,500 and 13 TDs this season. What if he ends up his career with the Saints and breaks Emmitt's record. What if he never plays in anything more than a couple of playoff games, but he is regarded as the best running back of all time. Would you say the Texans missed out?
What if during that time span. The Texans have moved into the penthouse suites with Pittsburgh, Denver, and New England in the AFC? They are consistently in the playoffs. They have been to a couple of Super Bowls and won one. They have a dominating defense that opposing teams fear. Williams has been to a couple of pro bowls, but he isn't in the same class as Bush. Did the Texans still miss out?

I can see this scenario playing out like this. I honestly believe that the Texans will be part of that elite group. They have the coach to get them there and they are building a foundation. I can be called a homer or a steel blue goggled apologist. I don't care. I'm an optimist. I love this game and I love watching a defense get after it.
Old 04-30-2006   #10
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 24376 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

Wow, Texanbacker - that scenario gave me chills... I can see that happening (and being a little bit of homer helps I'm sure). Good post brstyles. I think I was probably pro-Bush as well since the 'niner game as when I heard the selection the Texans were taking, I had the initial shock. That was probably due to the media hype I was being fed for 4 months and knew Vince was out after Carr's extension. But now a couple of days later, I see the selections made were "football decisions" and not "majority fan rule" decisions and I'm glad our our F.O. is able to stand up to that.

If DD can do wonders behind the O-line setup we had in the past led by our "coaching" staff (word used losely) of previous years, I can just imagine what'll happen if Kubiak and Sherman can bring Denver's style here and bring DD and other no-name runningbacks into the 1000 yd + each range on a yearly basis.
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006   #11
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Each of us at times are critical of various things the Texans do, but when its all said and done its what is best for the team as a whole that counts. For example, I do not like our 2nd round pick, but Kubiak is very high on him. When you listen to Kubiak you begin to see and hear a man playing chess. He knows where everyone is going to fit in his scheme of things and why he made the move he did.

I will add that McNair,Casserly and Kubiak are drafting on the same page. Everyone they pick up is of character and they constantly comment on that. When Mario was asked in an interview where he was at when he got the word he was the number 1 pick, I believe he said he was with some kids at a children's hospital.

Now, I'm going to open up a can of worms and say over the next few weeks you are going to be happy we didn't draft Bush. I think we have only seen the tip of the iceberg of a very nasty situation. Its most unfortunate, but the whole SC things is unraveling big time. In NY Linert and Young hung around togerther, not Bush and Linert. I found that most interesting and they apparently have become good friends.

I've stated for a period of time that money, signability, EGO and character were all big factors in selecting the number 1 pick this year. They can say all they want, but they were factors which tipped the balance of scales. When you have two people rated roughly equal then other factors become a part of the decision. I believe Casserly said he called Wednesday morning and afternoon and Thursday morning with respect to Bush's problems. Remember, they broke off negoiations Thursday morning. I think they began to smell something. So under those circumstances you take the next person in line.

I am extremely optomistic about what is going to happen this year and I believe we will at least make the playoffs. I like Kubiak and his approach to the game. I like his enthusiasum. Every aspect of the game he talks about gives me more certainty in my mind that he really does know what happened to the Texans and how to fix it. Even the injuries may have been a function of what are previous coaching staff was doing.

As I keep saying folks, just sit back and relax and leave the coaching to KUBIAK. Have TRUST in what you have, not what you don't have.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006   #12
3960AD
Rookie

Snapple:
Good post, I do have to disagree with you on those teams in the 90's though. All those teams did well on defense, even the Rams. They were I believe a top 5 defense and set a offensive record for most points.

Quote:
You can't honestly think it's Barry's fault the Lions never made the Superbowl. He's the only reason that horrible team made the post-season. If they had drafted some defensive player instead of Barry Sanders, they never would've made the NFC championship game like they did. Hell, they never would've had a winning record.

'99 St. Louis Rams, '94 San Francisco 49ers, all of the '90s Cowboys teams, they won Superbowls with loaded offense, not loaded defense.

We need improvements on both sides of the ball, not just defense. When you have the #1 pick, if you want it to go the farthest, you take the best player available, or you trade it away for a lucrative deal. You don't try to force an unworthy player into the #1 pick to fill a need. That's how #1 picks become flops.

Of course they're trying to get to the Superbowl. Every team is. Mario Williams was a bad choice, though.
3960AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006   #13
TexansNeedRBin05
Veteran

Rep Power: 0 TexansNeedRBin05 has been demoted to the practice squad
Send a message via AIM to TexansNeedRBin05 Send a message via MSN to TexansNeedRBin05
Default Look at what Bush did in the Rose Bowl...

I mean he didn't even play very much..Why do we need a guy that's only gonna play 1/4 of the time? DD might have some faults but he can play the whole game. I have heard people say Bush can't take every carry in the game...Why do we need a guy like that here? DD and Bush are both small backs, there no way we could have had both of them (not to mention the cap.) We signed DD to a long term contract so no way we could have traded him. Pluse there ALOT of good RB, how many 6'7 295 pound DE that run a 4.7 are there? Not very many..How many elite DE are there? 7 at the most? I think we made the best pick...The only player I could see being better than Super Mario is Vince Young but we have a great QB in Carr. I mean LenDale got most of the carrys in the Rose Bowl..It's just something to think about.
TexansNeedRBin05 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read