Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-29-2006   #1
TexanFanInCC
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to TexanFanInCC Send a message via Yahoo to TexanFanInCC
Default our new defensive front 7 depth chart

mine looks like this:

1st team:

DE - weaver
DT - seth payne
DT - robaire smith
DE - mario williams
OLB - morlon greenwood
MLB - kailee wong
OLB - demeco ryans

2nd team

DE - jason babin
DT - jerry deloach
DT - travis johnson
DE - antwan peek
OLB - shantee orr
MLB - sam cowart
OLB - dashon polk

am i forgetting anyone? im not looking at rosters at the moment.
Old 04-29-2006   #2
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Cowart will start. Kailee Wong may not be fully recovered by the time the season begins.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006   #3
F-minus67
Hall of Fame

I don't think that Williams will start right away. He has all the skills, but he needs to have a little more coaching. He will most likely start by the end of the year but until then the DEs will probably be Babins and Weaver.
Old 04-29-2006   #4
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

Babin doesn't stand a chance against Mario Williams. Super Mario starts from day 1.
Old 04-29-2006   #5
WILLIEG
Veteran

You don't draft a guy #1 and not expect him to contribute right away. plus the best way to work out what problems that arise is to gain experience and learn from it.
WILLIEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006   #6
amazingandre
All Pro

if they dont start them new guyitd b stupid especially mario. i wasnt pleased to see him picked but you got no choice as a fan. so the least the coaches can do is start them all.
amazingandre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006   #7
Mathis13
Veteran

i think T. Johnson would start over Seth Payne
Mathis13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-29-2006   #8
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

DE - Williams, DT - TJ, DT - Smith, DE - Weaver

Will - Greenwood, MLB - Ryans, Sam - Wong/Peek

If Posey can play the Sam so can Peek. Greenwood is the will backer and I think Ryans ends up in the middle.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006   #9
Texanator14
Rookie

Ya you forgot N.D. Kalu
Texanator14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006   #10
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
DE - Williams, DT - TJ, DT - Smith, DE - Weaver

Will - Greenwood, MLB - Ryans, Sam - Wong/Peek

If Posey can play the Sam so can Peek. Greenwood is the will backer and I think Ryans ends up in the middle.
I think that's very possible, but I wouldn't be surprised if Cowart ends up starting at the mike and Ryans starts at the sam...
Old 04-29-2006   #11
Trapped
Veteran

I am very optimistic and i think this front 4 has the potential to drop back 7 on every play and still stop the run and have adequate pass rush. Mario is a man-child, he's about as big as Richard Seymour, with Julius Peppers measurables.

Maybe not this year, but certainly next year. Then if Babin and Peek can improve in any way, they can be 3rd down edge rushers with mario and weaver in the middle playing dts on passing downs.
Trapped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006   #12
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-ReK
I think that's very possible, but I wouldn't be surprised if Cowart ends up starting at the mike and Ryans starts at the sam...
Ryans isn't the ideal size to be at the Sam imo...he's better suited for the middle or the will (but probably not fast enough). I think he ends up inside. Keep in mind the Sam has to take on blocking TE's and often take on RT's in the running game. I bet Cowart doesn't make the team.

Old 04-29-2006   #13
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

You don't think Babin would be a better fit at the Sam?
Old 04-29-2006   #14
fshaw
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanator14
Ya you forgot N.D. Kalu
who?????????
fshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006   #15
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEEL BLUE TEXANS
You don't think Babin would be a better fit at the Sam?
not at all...back up DE. Babin is more like a lineman and less like a linebacker than Peek is.

Old 04-29-2006   #16
fshaw
Rookie

Johnson get hurt early last year? or just didn't play much????
fshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006   #17
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
Ryans isn't the ideal size to be at the Sam imo...he's better suited for the middle or the will (but probably not fast enough). I think he ends up inside. Keep in mind the Sam has to take on blocking TE's and often take on RT's in the running game.
That's true, but I have the sneaking suspicion that he will be placed at the sam due to need...I'm not sure that Peek has what it takes to be a good sam, and Wong may not be ready for the start of the season...I really do like the idea of Ryans at the mike, though...He has top intangibles and is a good run stuffer who can drop back into coverage...Maybe I'm just leary after seeing Capers continually play people out of position...

I know this is somewhat off topic, but do you see Spencer making an impact this year, and if so, at what position?
Old 04-29-2006   #18
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-ReK
That's true, but I have the sneaking suspicion that he will be placed at the sam due to need...I'm not sure that Peek has what it takes to be a good sam, and Wong may not be ready for the start of the season...I really do like the idea of Ryans at the mike, though...He has top intangibles and is a good run stuffer who can drop back into coverage...Maybe I'm just leary after seeing Capers continually play people out of position...

I know this is somewhat off topic, but do you see Spencer making an impact this year, and if so, at what position?
Posey isn't the athlete that Peek is and Peek has trouble keeping enough weight on for the line in a 4-3, so if Posey can handle the Sam, so can Peek. If Peek can't handle it (probably low odds) Wong will play it and save himself from being cut. Outside possibility is Shantee Orr at the Sam...I'd put money on Ryans in the middle. Spencer will be our RT of the future. Hes not a G in this scheme.

Old 04-30-2006   #19
TexanFanInCC
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to TexanFanInCC Send a message via Yahoo to TexanFanInCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-minus67
I don't think that Williams will start right away. He has all the skills, but he needs to have a little more coaching. He will most likely start by the end of the year but until then the DEs will probably be Babins and Weaver.
williams not starting??!! why use the #1 pick on him anyways?
Old 04-30-2006   #20
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-minus67
Mario will start from day 1, if the season started tomorrow he'd be our starter. Babin is not going to play over Peek either, I don't expect Babin to be on our roster after this coming season unless he really shows something. We now have a 295 lb. weakside DE that is as athletic as Julius Peppers and as strong as most good DTs, I don't know if you people realize what that is going to do to opposing offenses. We will have 580+ lbs. of DEs in the game, plus 630+ lbs. in DTs, so that is over 1200 lbs. of DLine occupying blockers and disrupting running games. In passing situations we bump Weaver inside to DT, move Mario to strongside DE, and bring Peek in at weakside DE and we have a nice pass rushing line as Weaver is a decent pass rusher for a DT and then Mario at strongside and Peek in single coverage on weakside will be nice, maybe even occasionally put Weaver and Mario at DT and Babin and Peek at DE. I smell a 45+ sack year for our defense.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read