Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-28-2004   #21
BornOrange
All Pro

Rep Power: 15 BornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.
So in other words, Moses has two returns, one for 55 and one for 19.
No, in other words Moses did better last season against legitimate NFL competition than Starling has done so far in the preseason against a lower level of competition.

I'm with you. I would prefer to have someone beat out Moses so the Texans could better utilize that roster spot. But until that happens the Texans will keep Moses because even though he is a one-trick pony, that trick is an important one.

As of now I think Moses is still on the 53 man roster, and that Starling has made the team as well.
BornOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004   #22
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think I've ever said I 'prefer' that Moses get beat out by anyone, although I've discussed the possiblity (like everyone else) and kicked around why it could be advantageous. I'm pretty much willing to go with what the coaches think are the right combo of players.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004   #23
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 57901 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

You all are probably right about Starling since you've been able to closely watch and monitor the situation. I feel differently for several reasons-

1. Intelligence, from what I've read Sloan has him beat hands down, you can look it up if you like.
2. Versatility, Starling does not impress me as a natural returner, the Job remains JJ's so that is mute, plus there are other players who have demonstrated potential return material (Vontez Duff).
3. Which WR position does Starling excell at? Can he play a 1, 2 or 3. Here Sloan has proven, at a major program I might add that he can play all three if needed.

In retrospect I don't think Starling or Sloan will make the 53 man roster, both should be placed on the practice squad, but I've been known to be wrong before so I will gladly admit I'm wrong if not the case. I've heard that NFL teams have to make decisons starting with cut-down Tuesday. When is the official 53 man roster announced
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004   #24
dredge
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover
When is the official 53 man roster announced

Aug. 31: Roster cut to maximum of 65 players.

Sept. 5: Roster cut to maximum of 53 players

I believe the 8 man practice squad will be announced on Sept. 6.
dredge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004   #25
rdbrem
Rookie

I don't think Duff is going to make it. He's got an injured rotator cuff, so he can't do anything to improve his standing. Do you keep a guy who's injured, and inexperienced? Maybe practice squad. And from what I've heard in practice, he's been beaten badly a couple of times.

Also, his last season at Notre Dame wasn't as good as his previous ones. Think Starling and Moses both have him beat right now.
Old 08-29-2004   #26
CoachJim
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to CoachJim Send a message via Yahoo to CoachJim
Default Moses...

Call me an unobservant ***** but I haven't seen a whole lot of times that JJ gets reps at WR in practice or game situations. I mean I know we as fans can't possibly see every little thing that goes on in a practice session but it seems to me you never even hear of JJ making or breaking a case for himself at the WR position. God knows you'll hear about him & how he's prolly gonna get cut cuz he's a "One Trick Pony" but if he's not given a chance to make a case for himself, I don't see how we can just assume his days are truly numbered as a Texan. (Just for the record, my wife is the JJ fan in this household & can't understand why they wanna cut her lil "hotdog")
Old 08-29-2004   #27
A Texan
Veteran

I haven't seen anybody in the preseason that looks as good as J. J. at kickoff returns. I guess it comes down to whether they think its worth a roster spot. I believe one of the knocks on Kendrick Starling was that he didn't do much after the catch in college. Also some teams might have been turned off by the fact that he has very small hands (8 1/4"). Great speed though (4.32).
A Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read