Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-29-2006   #1
UGA
Rookie

Default The best draft in our history!!!

I think we are morons for passing up Bush and Young. We are the laughing stock of the entire football universe right now. Only the texans could pass up two elite players like that...

With that said i belive this is our best draft ever! lol

Its taken years for the team to realize that you have to build a team from the inside out, and at the very least im glad that we have finally used our picks to address the team as such. 2 olineman, 2 front seven defenders... somebody finally got a clue around town. these werent sexy picks, but i belive they might be our most effective to this point. games are generally won in the trenches, and we are extremely weak on both sides.

so while i think weve probably picked Sam Bowie ahead of Micheal Jordan, at least the picks were used in the best way possible otherwise.

on a personal note i wish we would have nabbed TE leonard pope with one of our 2 third rounders. he is a physical monster with insanely soft hands. oh well....
UGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006   #2
Bobo
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGA
I think we are morons for passing up Bush and Young. We are the laughing stock of the entire football universe right now. Only the texans could pass up two elite players like that...
You act like the only players on the field are QBs and RBs.
Bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006   #3
UGA
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo
You act like the only players on the field are QBs and RBs.
look at the last superbowl....

Hasslebeck, Alexander, Rothlesburger (sp?) and Parker. 3 of the 4 were probowlers and Parker was a 1000+ yard rusher.

yes there are more players on the field, but few who have such a dramatic effect on the outcome.

btw what were the qb and rb combos for the teams those played to get in the superbowl?

manning, james, delhomme and goings. 3 more pro bowlers out of 4.

see the trend?
Old 04-29-2006   #4
TFL
Veteran

Rep Power: 4909 TFL is a quality contributor and well respectedTFL is a quality contributor and well respectedTFL is a quality contributor and well respectedTFL is a quality contributor and well respectedTFL is a quality contributor and well respectedTFL is a quality contributor and well respectedTFL is a quality contributor and well respectedTFL is a quality contributor and well respectedTFL is a quality contributor and well respectedTFL is a quality contributor and well respectedTFL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGA

With that said i belive this is our best draft ever! lol

Its taken years for the team to realize that you have to build a team from the inside out, and at the very least im glad that we have finally used our picks to address the team as such. 2 olineman, 2 front seven defenders... somebody finally got a clue around town. these werent sexy picks, but i belive they might be our most effective to this point. games are generally won in the trenches, and we are extremely weak on both sides.

so while i think weve probably picked Sam Bowie ahead of Micheal Jordan, at least the picks were used in the best way possible otherwise.

on a personal note i wish we would have nabbed TE leonard pope with one of our 2 third rounders. he is a physical monster with insanely soft hands. oh well....
Alot people think Mario Williams is a elite player also. Right now Mario has to prove himslef though.
TFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006   #5
WildBlackBear32
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGA

Hasslebeck, Alexander, Rothlesburger (sp?) and Parker. 3 of the 4 were probowlers and Parker was a 1000+ yard rusher.

yes there are more players on the field, but few who have such a dramatic effect on the outcome.

btw what were the qb and rb combos for the teams those played to get in the superbowl?

see the trend?
Despite what the Pro Bowl rosters may say, Roethlisberger is NOT a pro bowl calibre QB. The only thing Pro-Bowl-esque Ben has is his passer rating due to his lack of attempts.
WildBlackBear32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006   #6
UGA
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBlackBear32
Despite what the Pro Bowl rosters may say, Roethlisberger is NOT a pro bowl calibre QB. The only thing Pro-Bowl-esque Ben has is his passer rating due to his lack of attempts.
31 other teams would take Ben over Carr!
Old 04-29-2006   #7
killeentexan
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGA

and Hasslebeck was taken in the 6th round while Parker went undrafted........so what kind of trend are we looking at?
killeentexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-29-2006   #8
UGA
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by killeentexan
and Hasslebeck was taken in the 6th round while Parker went undrafted........so what kind of trend are we looking at?
its quite obvious and elementary despite your most loyal apologist attempts.

btw, i do belive this was our best draft EVER!
Old 04-29-2006   #9
TexansNeedRBin05
Veteran

Rep Power: 0 TexansNeedRBin05 has been demoted to the practice squad
Send a message via AIM to TexansNeedRBin05 Send a message via MSN to TexansNeedRBin05

It was forsure the best 3rd round ever!
TexansNeedRBin05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006   #10
ClintonPortis26
Rookie

I personally think the Texans had a great draft. Look, the Houston Texans are basically a new franchise still with no identity, no defense,no offense. Your franchises face is David Carr for crying out loud(not that hes bad, I think he can be a good QB). What you need to do is basically just say to yourselves "Ignore the flavor of the day" which is Reggie Bush and Vince Young and say "Let's build this team from the line up" and you did that by taken in my opinion a 5-Star Defensive Lineman Prospect and two offensive lineman prospects that could be average offensive line starters in this league.

Then after that you drafted a very underrated Linebacker who was arguably one of the best Linebackers in the country last season and was the leader of that Alabama Defense last season in DeMeco Ryans. The only things people have againts Ryans is his size and athletisism and look what short Linebackers such as Johnathon Vilma and Antonio Pierce are doing these days.

In my Opinion you guys had a great first day despite passing on Reggie Bush and the born-to-dissapoint in the nfl Quarterback in Vince Young.
Old 04-29-2006   #11
texanskan
Veteran

Section: 115 Row H
Rep Power: 611 texanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Skype™ to texanskan

So far best draft ever!

But I am so pissed off!

"You either got a jump shot or you slang crack rock"
texanskan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006   #12
Ihategeeks
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26 Ihategeeks is a Hall of FamerIhategeeks is a Hall of FamerIhategeeks is a Hall of FamerIhategeeks is a Hall of FamerIhategeeks is a Hall of FamerIhategeeks is a Hall of FamerIhategeeks is a Hall of FamerIhategeeks is a Hall of FamerIhategeeks is a Hall of FamerIhategeeks is a Hall of Famer

You guys got both of my favorite players in the draft.
Winston and Williams.

That can't be a good sign.
Old 04-30-2006   #13
New_Texans
All Pro

Rep Power: 29 New_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGA

see the trend?
They also had something called a Defense and PLAYMAKERS on DEFENSE

The TEXANS now have 1 playmaker (Dunta) and another potential Playmaker in Super Mario who could be Jevon Kearse Jr. (hopefully with less injuries).

The Texans had an extremely good 1st day of the draft.

Calm Down and think about what the texans did even though they passed up the so-called future hall of famers (even though i noticed that VY cant through the ball in small windows...which is bugging me cause i want him to do well and Reggie didnt look to enthusiastic at all today maybe hes just like that... but i think hes going to be awesome but just kinda like Marshall Faulk not Gale Sawyers cause Gale Sawyers would run over u too and stiff arm u in the face...Bush isnt as physical of a runner).

The texans had a great draft and im excited about this team they finally have real depth in the team.
Old 04-30-2006   #14
txnguy

I don't know who is making the decisions for our team, but not taking BUSH, has got to be the stupidest decision in history. A player like Bush comes once per decade. You have to take him. He is an immediate impact player. And yes, everyone can fool themselves and say Mario Williams is a good pick. But face it, Mario Williams is not a 1st round pick like Reggie Bush. Mario Williams is a very inconsistant player. Sometimes he plays at 100%, and other times he doesn't. At one point, Mario Williams had only 1 sack in his first 5 games. It took his coach at S Carolina State to straighten him out and get his focus back. Reggie Bush doesn't need this type of coddling. Yes, I am upset, and I have good reason. With decisions like this, I forsee another lack luster year for our offense.
Old 04-30-2006   #15
erasethevirus
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGA
so while i think weve probably picked Sam Bowie ahead of Micheal Jordan, at least the picks were used in the best way possible otherwise....

i think we got the olajuwon instead of the jordan, not the bowie, just like an'84
erasethevirus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006   #16
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Easily our best draft in years, the media won't give us credit for it since we took Mario instead of Reggie (and made every single media "expert" look like an idiot in the process for missing on the #1 overall pick), but our whole 1st day has been great (granted you should have nice picks after a 2-14 season). However, we got lucky with Winston and Spencer falling to us but we took both of them and should beef our OLine, maybe not at the start of this season but by the end of it we should be looking a lot better there, we got one of the top 5 LBs in this draft in the 2nd round, and we got the best DE since I don't know when at #1. For once we're not right at the bottom of the league in terms of draft quality, I'd say we have one of the top 5 drafts going right now. Definitely a good sign of things to come.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006   #17
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13071 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by txnguy
I don't know who is making the decisions for our team, but not taking BUSH, has got to be the stupidest decision in history. A player like Bush comes once per decade. You have to take him. He is an immediate impact player. And yes, everyone can fool themselves and say Mario Williams is a good pick. But face it, Mario Williams is not a 1st round pick like Reggie Bush. Mario Williams is a very inconsistant player. Sometimes he plays at 100%, and other times he doesn't.
Well, obviously Mario was a first round pick, which in turn makes your post look real dumb
Old 04-30-2006   #18
kingh99

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasethevirus
i think we got the olajuwon instead of the jordan, not the bowie, just like an'84
If we just got our Neil Smith and Derrick Thomas I'll be cool with Bush badmouthing his way to Los Ange... err New Orleans. I'm beginning to think he was looking out two years and the league didn't have a problem at all with him placating NO fans until the sad decision gets announced to move the team to LA.

/adjusts tinfoil
Old 04-30-2006   #19
UGA
Rookie

ive had a night to sit on this draft and i pretty much feel the same way.

i think we screwed up bigtime, but i do think they improved the team with the other 4 picks. if they were going to blow the draft at least they would go with oline and front seven defenders. we cannot deny that williams and ryans are top caliber defensive players that will certainly help our swiss cheese d. the oline picks were pretty solid, though i would have liked to get Pope with Winston instead.

but i do find it intresting that we are the only team in the league scared enough blow a no brainer first pick. we should have traded down a couple spots for williams at the very least. if you dont have the stones to pick Bush, you should have gotten some value for Williams. even if it was just a third rounder to go back a couple picks, we should have gotten something in return for bypassing two players like Bush and Young. NO wanted a Walker type deal for their pick, but we could have settled for anything to increase the value of selecting Williams.
Old 04-30-2006   #20
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 354011 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGA

see the trend?
Let's see--Alan Faneca, Jeff Hartings, Casey Hampton, Joey Porter, Troy Polamalu, Walter Jones, Steve Hutchinson, Robbie Tobeck, Mack Strong, Lofa Tatupa...

Yeah, I am seeing a trend--probowl QB's and RB's don't get to the SB without a supporting cast. But wait how about that 2nd tier of playing to be in the SB...

Julius Peppers, Mike Wahle, Steve Smith, Marvin Harrison, Jeff Saturday, Dwight Freeney, Cato June, Bob Sanders.

Yup, trend still there--it takes a team.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read