Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-30-2004   #21
Chance_C
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4104 Chance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respected

Oh, and BTW, it would be "San Diego Like" to start Rivers instead of Brees. Brees has had a good preseason, and he should be the starter IMO
Old 08-30-2004   #22
pb5648

Talking Cornell rookie TE

Hi all, I'm brand new to the site. Live in Endicott, NY. My "little woman" is the aunt to John Freisor, #49 on your program. We're very interested to know if he has a shot to make the roster. Any new news would be appreciated. Feel free to email at Pp5561@aol.com. Thanks, Paul & Pam.
Old 08-30-2004   #23
Chance_C
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4104 Chance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
We're very interested to know if he has a shot to make the roster
With the way all our tight ends keep getting hurt, I wouldn't be surprised. But honestly he's behind Billy Miller, Mark Bruener, Matt Murphy and Jabari Holloway. He really doesn't have much of a chance to make the final 53 imo. Practice squad maybe. Seems like a great guy with the type of character that our front office seeks out. Here's to a few breaks (not the bone kind) going his way.
Old 08-30-2004   #24
RTP2110
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6844 RTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respected

Sorry, but #49 was just cut today.
RTP2110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004   #25
DominatorDavis
Veteran

Default Most recient article on Rivers

Link: http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/c...-7774771c.html

The Associated Press Aug 29, 2004

Two weeks before their opener in Houston, the San Diego Chargers haven't decided who will be their starting quarterback.
It'll be either Drew Brees, the starter for the past two years, or rookie Philip Rivers, the draft's fourth pick overall. But coach Marty Schottenheimer isn't ready to anoint his top guy just yet.

"We'll make a judgment on who we think that gives us the best chance to win the game and that's the way we approach it," he said. "Rookie, veteran, is really not relevant."

Brees is 26-of-40 for 361 yards in the Chargers' three exhibition games, two of which they've lost. He has two touchdown passes and two interceptions.

Rivers made his debut Friday after ending a contract holdout. He completed his first three passes, but finished 5-of-14 for 79 yards. He threw two interceptions and was sacked twice.

"You learn from it," said Rivers, the former N.C. State star. "I didn't want to struggle and throw the picks. I didn't expect to do that, but I was prepared that if I hit some bumps. ... It's part of it."
DominatorDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004   #26
TexanExile
Square 1 again

Rep Power: 3475 TexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respected

Maybe Brees was doing too well. That's just not the Charger way.

TexanExile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004   #27
RTP2110
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6844 RTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respected

Chargers still unsure about quarterback situation
Sept. 1, 2004
SportsLine.com wire reports

SAN FRANCISCO -- While most teams will rest their starting quarterback as much as possible in the final exhibition game this week, the San Diego Chargers are still trying to figure out who theirs is.

Heading into Thursday night's game against the San Francisco 49ers, the competition between rookie Philip Rivers and Drew Brees remains wide open even though Rivers has been in camp less than two weeks.

"We really don't have to make that decision right now," coach Marty Schottenheimer said. "The competition is still open and I'm not going to handicap it just yet."

Brees has started the past two years, but the team soured on him when he threw 15 interceptions and only 11 touchdowns last season, finishing as the AFC's 15th-rated quarterback.

Rivers is clearly the quarterback of the future after San Diego got him from the New York Giants in a deal for Eli Manning after the Giants had taken him with the fourth pick. But a contract dispute led to a holdout and Rivers missed 29 practices and two exhibition games, seemingly pushing that future off.

Rivers made his first pro appearance last week against Seattle, going 5-for-14 for 79 yards in two interceptions in a rough debut.

"You learn from it," Rivers said. "I didn't want to struggle and throw the picks. I didn't expect to do that, but I was prepared that if I hit some bumps that I got to understand that. It's part of it. Not be satisfied with it, but know it's part of it."

Brees is 26-of-40 for 361 yards, with two touchdowns and two interceptions in three exhibition contests and is hoping to keep the starting role.

"Obviously, that is a decision Marty is going to make," Brees said. "He told Philip and I from the beginning that it is going to be a competition."

CBS
Sponsored links
Old 09-01-2004   #28
Jwwillis
All Pro

Marty knows he is starting Brees. The Texans staff know he will start too. It shouldnt matter much to the Texans anyway. The Texans owe the Chargers a pounding and I'm predicting a blowout. Jr. and his boys were abnoxious the first time we faced those jerks. Jr. was pointing all in Carrs face and dancing all over the field. ( no taunting foul btw ) I'll never forget it and I hope the Texans havent either.

Go Texans!
Jwwillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004   #29
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346
Arrow

This article might explain the performance of the Texans in the final preseason game against the Bucs.

Quote:
Texans happy to be healthy heading into season

Associated Press

HOUSTON -- The final preseason game was a mere diversion for the Houston Texans as they prepared for the regular season opener, and it showed.

Safe to say they were looking ahead. After all, the Texans already were game-planning and practicing for the opener against the San Diego Chargers, with reserve tailback Adam Matthews portraying LaDainian Tomlinson.

Thus the lackluster game Thursday night, a 17-9 loss to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in which neither first-team offense scored a point in limited action.

Houston finished the exhibition season 1-3, matching the win total from its inaugural season in 2002. The Texans went winless during the exhibition season last year.

This story is from ESPN.com's automated news wire. Wire index
ESPN
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004   #30
HoustonTexans4Life
Rookie

Send a message via MSN to HoustonTexans4Life

It dont really matter who they start,, cause we'll take them down. And lets HOPE AfTeR we beat san deigo we can beat detroit cause Carrs hair is getting a lil to long ,plus itd be a good way to start the season. Texans San Deigo down !!!!!!!!!!
HoustonTexans4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004   #31
RTP2110
Hall of Fame

Chargers will announce the starter on Monday....

ESPN
Old 09-05-2004   #32
Shamrock
Rookie

A week ago, I thought Rivers would probably get the nod, but since the last preseason game, it's looking like it will be Brees.

Rumors have been flying that the Bolts are shopping Flutie around. Either Brees or Flutie could be traded this week. We'll have to see what shakes out on the final cuts.

BTW: I'm a Charger fan, but live near San Antonio. I really don't want to talk the smack, since the Texans are my second favorite team. I'm not expecting much from the Chargers this year. I just want to see them improve, yet at the same time, fire Marty at the end of the season.
Shamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004   #33
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Marty just announced on ESPN News that Brees will be the starter.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004   #34
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasguy346
Marty just announced on ESPN News that Brees will be the starter.
here is a link...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1875939

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read