Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-28-2006   #1
clandestin
Veteran

Default The Texans new defense

Old 04-28-2006   #2
clandestin
Veteran

There is a silver lining to not picking R.B. or V.Y. Assuming Weaver turns out to be good to very good and Williams becomes the elite player he's expected to be, our DL has the potential to be at the top of the NFL.

Defense builds cham--I won't finish that. Look at what the Bears did last year. They had nothing for offense, but they did have a front four that could stop the run and destroy quarterbacks by themselves. (Their #4 RB barely touched the field btw.)

If we just drafted Julius Peppers+ this team will be in great shape.

Last edited by clandestin; 04-28-2006 at 08:33 PM.
clandestin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006   #3
D-Rob23
Veteran

I like this choice!!!

Old 04-28-2006   #4
MightyTExan
It's go time!

Rep Power: 19458 MightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Rob23
I like this choice!!!

OWNED!
MightyTExan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006   #5
clandestin
Veteran

Here's to more interviews like this!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch.php?v=vlSPqzgNig4
Old 04-28-2006   #6
Rosusu
All Pro

With that set up our front seven looks very strong. I think we could definitely use some upgrades in the secondary at either safety position or CB opposite of DRob. Defense does win championships, we sure as HELL wont be the Colts. (but maybe we can stop their offense a little bit...maybe?)
Old 04-28-2006   #7
MightyTExan
It's go time!

Rep Power: 19458 MightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respected

An article with some sense..............

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12471820/

But few Super Bowl teams have arrived at the big game without a stout defense. (The St. Louis Rams come to mind, but darned few others.)

By taking Williams, the Texans' defense is set. Put him at end and fill in with complimentary pieces. They go from a so-so defense to one that makes offensive coordinators tear their their hair out, just like that.

After that, Houston should start collecting offensive linemen, the more the better. If there's a wide-out they think could develop into a top player, toss him in the shopping cart, too. But they have their quarterback, David Carr, and they have Dominick Davis at running back, a perfectly serviceable ball carrier who averages better than four yards a carry and 1,000 a season. He's not Bush, but he doesn't have to be.
MightyTExan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-28-2006   #8
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

this means we have put a lot of money into our defense now...i support this choice and we better start seeing results quickly
Old 04-28-2006   #9
Texton
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyTExan
An article with some sense..............

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12471820/

But few Super Bowl teams have arrived at the big game without a stout defense. (The St. Louis Rams come to mind, but darned few others.)

By taking Williams, the Texans' defense is set. Put him at end and fill in with complimentary pieces. They go from a so-so defense to one that makes offensive coordinators tear their their hair out, just like that.

After that, Houston should start collecting offensive linemen, the more the better. If there's a wide-out they think could develop into a top player, toss him in the shopping cart, too. But they have their quarterback, David Carr, and they have Dominick Davis at running back, a perfectly serviceable ball carrier who averages better than four yards a carry and 1,000 a season. He's not Bush, but he doesn't have to be.
I couldn't agree more!
Texton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006   #10
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosusu
With that set up our front seven looks very strong. I think we could definitely use some upgrades in the secondary at either safety position or CB opposite of DRob. Defense does win championships, we sure as HELL wont be the Colts. (but maybe we can stop their offense a little bit...maybe?)
A good front 7 can "upgrade" the DBs we already have.
Old 04-28-2006   #11
ensign_lee
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 468 ensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respected

Not to poke holes, but why is Dunta our RCB and Faggins/Buchanon fighting for our LCB spot? :P

Only problem that I have with the Williams signing is what we're going to do with Peek/Babin now? I suppose we'll just rotate them in and out to keep everyone fresh, but meh.

At any rate, I wholeheartedly support this pick, if it is indeed what we're doing. Go Texans!
ensign_lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006   #12
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toan
What happen to Babin? Don't tell me we wasted all those picks to trade up and get Babin and he isn't even in our future plans.
If that happens, that is part of the cost of recovering fromt he previous regime's errors.
Old 04-28-2006   #13
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Don't forget that we still have the rest of the draft tomorrow. If we trade up in the first round to get a defensive back or a linebacker falls to us in the 2nd, he may be an immediate starter.
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006   #14
phantom17
#1 Fan in RGV!

Rep Power: 1292 phantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by clandestin
There is a silver lining to not picking R.B. or V.Y. Assuming Weaver turns out to be good to very good and Williams becomes the elite player he's expected to be, our DL has the potential to be at the top of the NFL.

Defense builds cham--I won't finish that. Look at what the Bears did last year. They had nothing for offense, but they did have a front four that could stop the run and destroy quarterbacks by themselves. (Their #4 RB barely touched the field btw.)

If we just drafted Julius Peppers+ this team will be in great shape.

AGREED! I'm LOvin' this pick! This was my first choice cuz it's all about the D! Kubes can find a good back in the later round! I have a feeling that he will pick one either 3rd or 4th round.
Old 04-28-2006   #15
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

CC in his interview on 610 said we were light on Dline for a 4-3 before this pick, but now we are fine.

When asked about Peek moving back to LB, he said that the exact way the players would be used would be best discussed by the coaching staff but that it has been discussed internally.
Texans_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006   #16
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

the way williams plays reminds me alot of Freeney, i mean that and his build. plus he looks like a beast on D. so getting weaver,,,now williams,,,,smith,,,,and whoever else,,,it already sounds like a qb attack to me.
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006   #17
Texan in Japan
All Pro

Rep Power: 7197 Texan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner
A good front 7 can "upgrade" the DBs we already have.
Agree, this might make P-Buch decent again!

Texan, back in Texas!
Texan in Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006   #18
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

i think the most important thing to keep in mind is that we are still going to take a runningback early...i believe we are going to trade up back into the 1st round and pick our runningback...also...this means we'll probably have to wait til round 3 to pick up any o-lineman...something i'm not crazy about...just wondering who that lineman will be
Old 04-29-2006   #19
shadowdrinker_x
Rookie

Wow..this all sounds so familiar...the Saints thought the same thing when they drafted Charles Grant..then Will Smith..

''A great front line can mask your weakness at Cb''...let me tell you guys..no..it can't...these Offensive Coordinators will exploit every weakness you have...Mario Williams alone does not fix the porous D of the Texans...Will Smith, a very, very good Rookie DE..did very little to help much of anything for us...infact..having 3 Pro Bowl Caliber DE's in Grant, Howard and Smith, used in a rotation that was supposed to make us pass rushing Gods..had a very negative effect on our sack totals...

Ferguson was the pick...Houston blew it...
shadowdrinker_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006   #20
mancunian
Daleks Rule

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Rep Power: 833 mancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom17
AGREED! I'm LOvin' this pick! This was my first choice cuz it's all about the D! Kubes can find a good back in the later round! I have a feeling that he will pick one either 3rd or 4th round.
Do you think Lendale White could fall to #33?
mancunian is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read