Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-28-2006   #41
kcwilson
All Pro

Rep Power: 12 kcwilson was voted MVPkcwilson was voted MVPkcwilson was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerek
I understand your point, and as I have stated many times, IMO, Reggie Bush is one hell of a pickup for us. I am simply stating that I believe we are draftng Mario Williams. Casserly practically stamped it on his forehead these last three days. In the end, winning generates revenue.

America's team would be awesome, but look around the NFL. Who is currently "America's team?" The closest thing we've got, IMO, are the Steelers and the Patriots. Both are headlined by unflashy, fairly simplistic but extremely efficient quarterbacks. Neither have any Reggie-Bush-esque player on their roster. Both feature fantastic, dominating defenses. Neither show up on the ESPN highlight reels all too often. Both are brutally efficient in their execution of the game.

I myself am a fan of winning, first and foremost. Understand me: other than being $100 poorer for it, I have absolutely zero issue with us drafting Reggie. He will be a great NFL player, and I think he will make us that much better for having him. But, IMO, the "draft for popularity" is a weak argument. If it is a dead coin flip between MW and RB, then give the tie-breaker to popularity, sure. But if our coaches feel MW is going to make us better than RB will, then we simply have to draft MW. IMO.
Solid thinking... I respect the point of view. Any way it works out, we get a hell of a player!

And btw, if there is a cool t-shirt, size large in that $25 price range at the draft day parties, then I would take that in lieu of cash. I'd re-imburse for any shipping and handling above and beyond $25.
kcwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006   #42
MikeMc
All Pro

Houston is a dead "market". It is in the Third Coast, and everyone knows that LA and NYC are the markets. DAL gets love because of its storied history and SBs.

Houston barely got a sniff with the World Series/NBA All-Star game/ MLB All-Star Game/ SuperBowl combined!!!!

They mention Roger Clemens, and everyone talks about NY or Boston. David Carr was that sexy #1 pick, and look what he got out of it...Momentum BMW and Sienna Plantation commercials!! Woo Hoo.

So to think that drafting Reggie will shift the media circus' attention to Houston is just not thinking clearly.
Old 04-28-2006   #43
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 9120 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey
It is fine and all to make your prediction Jerek but to act like most people on these boards don't know much about Mario Williams is ridiculous.
I don't think it is ridiculous at all, friend. If you know all about Mario, great. Suffice it to say, I believe that most people don't. If you disagree with me, that is fine too.
Old 04-28-2006   #44
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 9120 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcwilson
Solid thinking... I respect the point of view. Any way it works out, we get a hell of a player!

And btw, if there is a cool t-shirt, size large in that $25 price range at the draft day parties, then I would take that in lieu of cash. I'd re-imburse for any shipping and handling above and beyond $25.
Will do my best to score a good one for you, in the event that I am wrong. Any other takers?
Old 04-28-2006   #45
MikeMc
All Pro

bckey, most people on here have never heard of Mario before Feb.....it was all about VY or Reggie Bush. Don't kid yourself!!!

Hmm, coaches let him take off after game 6 and look what happened. To have 5 and 6 sacks, then 14.5 shows something. Plus 20 TFL avg for 3 yrs shows something too.

Stop giving into the pro-RB banter.......Mario is the beast we have hoped for. We will finally make up for passing on Julius Peppers of 2002 Draft!
Old 04-28-2006   #46
swtbound07
Jackass of Day!

Rep Power: 904 swtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Will do my best to score a good one for you, in the event that I am wrong. Any other takers?

Hey Jerek, could you grab me a shirt as well? No bets, i want williams too, but im in florida and will pay you for all costs (kindly keep it under 50 bucks total though)

*edit* im an extra large

Sig by Michaelm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Maher
"I'll show you Obama's birth certificate when you show me Sarah Palin's high school diploma"
swtbound07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006   #47
kcwilson
All Pro

Rep Power: 12 kcwilson was voted MVPkcwilson was voted MVPkcwilson was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by swtbound07
Hey Jerek, could you grab me a shirt as well? No bets, i want williams too, but im in florida and will pay you for all costs (kindly keep it under 50 bucks total though)

*edit* im an extra large

Dude, jerek... you got yourself a nice little side business here... include a 15% service fee on all orders of course.
Sponsored links
Old 04-28-2006   #48
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 28016 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Lenny P, on ESPN news, just said that teh Texans are shifting their focus from Bush to Mario.

Getting interesting.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006   #49
The Duke
Rookie

Check This Out!

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft0...ory?id=2425818

HOOK'EM
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006   #50
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy
Lenny P, on ESPN news, just said that teh Texans are shifting their focus from Bush to Mario.

Getting interesting.
Believe me now or wait until tomorrow, but you might as well start dealing with it if you don't like Williams, or embrace it if you do.

Mario Williams is going to be a Texan.
Old 04-28-2006   #51
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 28016 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

It could still be a smokescreen. Now if it's 10am tommorow and were stilling here Mario talk, then I'll start to beleive it.

Untill then: Trust No One!
Old 04-28-2006   #52
kcwilson
All Pro

Does anyone feel like it is Xmas eve and you can't wait to see what is under the tree?

I have to wake up at 5:15am to play golf tomorrow am and know I won't get an ounce of sleep.
Old 04-28-2006   #53
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

I posted in another thread ESPN's comments regarding the house situation from the owner. It sounds like a real mess including gang members. If McNair read any of that I don't see how they would continue to think about investing in Bush given what McNair is looking for in his football players. Reggie's world is blowing up fast. They also commented his family was upset with the fact that the Texans were playing hardball by using Williams.

I said if they thought we were bad try NO or Adams. I think a decision has been made that Bush is just not worth the hassle, plus Williams is going to give you more playing time for the buck. Williams is actually a better fit in terms of what we need.

We are talking big dollars and the spector of Bush with all of his problems raises some real serious questions. I think there beginning to think he could be a bust or perhaps busted. Well, now I would like anyone other than Bush.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006   #54
exclude
Veteran

Quote:
Not really, took less than ten minutes I just have Photoshop skill on top of skill. Besides, I'm not drunk, I'm at the office. I am however afraid that lot of people are going to be angry drunks about this time tomorrow, which sucks, because we are going to be getting an amazing player and it is going to take half of this board eight games into the season and halfway toward a DROY campaign to warm up to that fact.
Manny Lawson, his linemate at NCST, will probably be the DROY.
Old 04-28-2006   #55
kcwilson
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibar_Harry
I posted in another thread ESPN's comments regarding the house situation from the owner. It sounds like a real mess including gang members. If McNair read any of that I don't see how they would continue to think about investing in Bush given what McNair is looking for in his football players. Reggie's world is blowing up fast. They also commented his family was upset with the fact that the Texans were playing hardball by using Williams.

I said if they thought we were bad try NO or Adams. I think a decision has been made that Bush is just not worth the hassle, plus Williams is going to give you more playing time for the buck. Williams is actually a better fit in terms of what we need.

We are talking big dollars and the spector of Bush with all of his problems raises some real serious questions. I think there beginning to think he could be a bust or perhaps busted. Well, now I would like anyone other than Bush.
Looks like extortion. Plus, the gang relationship was between the stepfather and Lake, not Reggie. I wouldn't characterize this one situation as 'all of his problems'. This is a single situation between Bush's relatives and the ThreeR ing Cirucs Sports Agency, at this point.
Old 04-28-2006   #56
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

No negotiations with Reggie in teh last 24 hours. From McNair's mouth via Mort.
Old 04-28-2006   #57
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcwilson
Looks like extortion. Plus, the gang relationship was between the stepfather and Lake, not Reggie. I wouldn't characterize this one situation as 'all of his problems'. This is a single situation between Bush's relatives and the ThreeR ing Cirucs Sports Agency, at this point.
Yes, but you have the possibility of someone wanting to hurt someone in this case. As more comes out it is looking not so cool. I think McNair has said no dice. May be they even said something that got back to him.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006   #58
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
I hope you are as excited as I am, and I hope that even the staunchest Bush or Young supporter will join me in welcoming Mr. Mario Williams to the Houston Texans.
I'm fine with that, as long as those "Bush Bowl" fans don't get their way.
Old 04-28-2006   #59
houstonhurricane
All Pro

Rep Power: 937 houstonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respected

Well, at least we are inching toward being the stupidest franchise in the league. If we don't want Bush, then that is one thing. However, if we are going to take Williams over Ferguson we might as well pack it in. Heck, just try to trade down a few spots for a mere second round pick.
Old 04-28-2006   #60
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default espn.com report

Even as Houston Texans officials continued to insist they have made no decision about the first selection in the draft, there were strong indications Friday afternoon that the team has redirected its focus to North Carolina State defensive end Mario Williams.

Texans executives were in substantive negotiations with Ben Dogra, the representative for Williams, throughout the day. Conversely, ESPN.com learned that the agent for Southern California tailback and Heisman Trophy winner Reggie Bush had not heard from the Texans, as of late Friday afternoon, in more than 24 hours.

The two sides spoke twice Thursday, but only briefly and made no progress toward an accord. During the week, progress was incremental and one person close to the discussions termed them "a little bit like being in quicksand."

In addition, league sources told ESPN.com that, in terms of guaranteed money, the latest offer made to Williams exceeds the best proposal made to Bush.

Minus any conversations with the Bush camp since Thursday, there seemed little chance the Texans could strike a pre-draft accord with the draft's highest-profile performer even if they were to jump-start the negotiations on Friday evening.

Texans general manager Charley Casserly had cautioned earlier in the week that anyone concluding the team had decided on Bush and was only using Williams as leverage was mistaken. He reiterated that the Texans were serious about both players, negotiating with both agents, and that one of the two would be the top pick.

Dogra, however, was originally reluctant to enter into negotiations because he felt that his client might be used to force Bush into a deal. Clearly, the Texans convinced him that was not the case.

Were the Texans to choose Williams, it would mark the first time since 2000 that a defensive player was the first prospect off the board. The Cleveland Browns chose defensive Courtney Brown with the first pick that year.

The choice of Williams by the Texans could also dramatically alter the landscape of the early segment of the first round. The New Orleans Saints, with the second choice, have indicated they would snap up Bush if he fell to their slot. But the Saints had hinted, in general, that they might entertain trade offers for their pick.

The availability of Bush at the No. 2 spot would almost certainly elicit trade offers.

Len Pasquarelli is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read