Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-28-2006   #1
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 11661 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek
Default The Official Welcome Mario Williams Thread

Less than 24 hours away from the draft, I am quite certain, given the public statements of our intrepid GM, that tomorrow we are going to make the very unglamorous, sure to be unpopular decision and choose Mario Williams with the first pick of the draft.

As I continue to read through the majority of posts on this board, I am convinced that most people on this board don't even know who Mario Williams is, other than "some DE" who is about to spoil their months-long favorite, Reggie Bush. That being the case, allow me to tell you about Mario Williams:

Williams leaves NCST as a junior who has had a solid but relatively unremarkable career. He put up 13 sacks this season against a modest schedule. Despite that he has not amassed the spectacular highlight films of a Reggie Bush, nor the immortal status of local legend Vince Young, he is nonetheless an unprecedented physical specimen and is widely regarded by many coaching staffs and scouting departments around the league as being either equal to, slightly inferior to, or in some cases slightly superior to Reggie Bush. Though much less known or regarded amongst many fanbases, he is a bright yet somewhat raw recruit with as much upside as anyone in this year's draft, yet already a certain starter on virtually any NFL squad.

Willams has met with our coaching staff and has obviously impressed, given that his name is even in mention with once unaninimous decision Reggie Bush, let alone as a "50/50 candidate."

Here is just some of what others are saying about MW:

"An amazing natural athlete with rare ability...Has excellent size and a big frame with long arms...Outstanding pass rusher who can dominate a game...Moves well and has very good speed and quickness...Has great range and can make plays all over the field...Productive and really came on down the stretch, ending his college career with a bang...Still developing and has not yet reached his full potential." - Scott Wright (nfldraftcountdown.com)

"Possesses a rare combination of size, athletic ability and speed. Is tall and well-built. Massive wingspan with long arms and big hands. Prototypical looking DE but with exceptional natural athleticism. He flashes rare playmaking skills when he gives good effort and plays with solid technique. His upside is outstanding. He shows very good initial quickness for his size. Is able to beat most OT's with his first step. Has a powerful upper body and shows the potential to develop a wide array of effective pass rush moves. He possesses the top end speed and body control to consistently turn the corner as a perimeter pass rusher. He is a smooth, fluid athlete with outstanding COD skills for his size. Is extremely mobile and shows the ability to consistently stay off of blocks and make plays in pursuit vs. the run. He shows good speed when chasing and makes a lot of plays from behind. Is a decent open-field tackler. Shows a natural nose for the ball and generates a lot of big plays when he's in the vicinity. Effort, technique and bulk are areas of concern, but he has made progress in all three over the course of his three seasons at N.C. State. Is a young prospect that only turned 21 years old on Jan. 31st, 2006.
(ESPN Insider Preview, from Scouts Inc.)

"Williams had a complete workout at the Combine. He ran his two 40s in 4.66 and 4.72. He also recorded a 40-inch vertical jump, a 10-foot long jump, a 4.36 short shuttle, a 7.19 three-cone drill and 35 bench presses. He played running back and defensive end in high school. He averaged 10 yards per carry as a running back, notched 13 sacks and blocked five kicks. He graduated high school in three-and-a-half years and entered N.C. State in December 2002. He started 13 games in 2003, 11 in 2004 and 12 in 2005. He had 25 career sacks. A player much like the Panthers' Julius Peppers, Williams has great upside and is an outstanding athlete. He's very strong (35 lifts), and can be a player like the Patriots' Richard Seymour and play both end and tackle at a high level. Because of his size, things come very easy for him and he sometimes takes a play or two off. He needs to play with more urgency every play. He should be an All-Pro, Pro Bowl-type player." - NFL.com, Gil Brandt

AT THE COMBINE:
Bench pressed 225 lbs 35 (39 according to the Chron?) times.
40.5 in vertical jump.
4.66 and 4.72 in the 40.
4.36 short shuttle.
7.19 three-cone drill.
6'7", 295 lbs.

DISCLAIMER: If I am wrong in regards to this bold and fearless prediction, that is fine. I like Reggie Bush, I think he will have a fine NFL career, and I would not be upset or disappointed in the least if he has said fine NFL career with the Houston Texans. I am merely calling it like I see it, and virtually everything this organization has said and done this last week points to Mario Williams being our choice.

I hope you are as excited as I am, and I hope that even the staunchest Bush or Young supporter will join me in welcoming Mr. Mario Williams to the Houston Texans.
Old 04-28-2006   #2
Mario Williams
Rookie

It's Reggie Bush buddy.
Old 04-28-2006   #3
Mike Kerns
LYSB Podcast

Section: My Living Room
Rep Power: 1518 Mike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Mike Kerns Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Kerns Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Kerns

I think you're awesome Jerek, but I pray you are wrong.
Mike Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006   #4
kingh99

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerek
Less than 24 hours away from the draft, I am quite certain, given the public statements of our intrepid GM, that tomorrow we are going to make the very unglamorous, sure to be unpopular decision and choose Mario Williams with the first pick of the draft.

As I continue to read through the majority of posts on this board, I am convinced that most people on this board don't even know who Mario Williams is, other than "some DE" who is about to spoil their months-long favorite, Reggie Bush. That being the case, allow me to tell you about Mario Williams:

Williams leaves NCST as a junior who has had a solid but relatively unremarkable career. He put up 13 sacks this season against a modest schedule. Despite that he has not amassed the spectacular highlight films of a Reggie Bush, nor the immortal status of local legend Vince Young, he is nonetheless an unprecedented physical specimen and is widely regarded by many coaching staffs and scouting departments around the league as being either equal to, slightly inferior to, or in some cases slightly superior to Reggie Bush. Though much less known or regarded amongst many fanbases, he is a bright yet somewhat raw recruit with as much upside as anyone in this year's draft, yet already a certain starter on virtually any NFL squad.

Willams has met with our coaching staff and has obviously impressed, given that his name is even in mention with once unaninimous decision Reggie Bush, let alone as a "50/50 candidate."

Here is just some of what others are saying about MW:

"An amazing natural athlete with rare ability...Has excellent size and a big frame with long arms...Outstanding pass rusher who can dominate a game...Moves well and has very good speed and quickness...Has great range and can make plays all over the field...Productive and really came on down the stretch, ending his college career with a bang...Still developing and has not yet reached his full potential." - Scott Wright (nfldraftcountdown.com)

"Possesses a rare combination of size, athletic ability and speed. Is tall and well-built. Massive wingspan with long arms and big hands. Prototypical looking DE but with exceptional natural athleticism. He flashes rare playmaking skills when he gives good effort and plays with solid technique. His upside is outstanding. He shows very good initial quickness for his size. Is able to beat most OT's with his first step. Has a powerful upper body and shows the potential to develop a wide array of effective pass rush moves. He possesses the top end speed and body control to consistently turn the corner as a perimeter pass rusher. He is a smooth, fluid athlete with outstanding COD skills for his size. Is extremely mobile and shows the ability to consistently stay off of blocks and make plays in pursuit vs. the run. He shows good speed when chasing and makes a lot of plays from behind. Is a decent open-field tackler. Shows a natural nose for the ball and generates a lot of big plays when he's in the vicinity. Effort, technique and bulk are areas of concern, but he has made progress in all three over the course of his three seasons at N.C. State. Is a young prospect that only turned 21 years old on Jan. 31st, 2006.
(ESPN Insider Preview, from Scouts Inc.)

"Williams had a complete workout at the Combine. He ran his two 40s in 4.66 and 4.72. He also recorded a 40-inch vertical jump, a 10-foot long jump, a 4.36 short shuttle, a 7.19 three-cone drill and 35 bench presses. He played running back and defensive end in high school. He averaged 10 yards per carry as a running back, notched 13 sacks and blocked five kicks. He graduated high school in three-and-a-half years and entered N.C. State in December 2002. He started 13 games in 2003, 11 in 2004 and 12 in 2005. He had 25 career sacks. A player much like the Panthers' Julius Peppers, Williams has great upside and is an outstanding athlete. He's very strong (35 lifts), and can be a player like the Patriots' Richard Seymour and play both end and tackle at a high level. Because of his size, things come very easy for him and he sometimes takes a play or two off. He needs to play with more urgency every play. He should be an All-Pro, Pro Bowl-type player." - NFL.com, Gil Brandt

AT THE COMBINE:
Bench pressed 225 lbs 35 (39 according to the Chron?) times.
40.5 in vertical jump.
4.66 and 4.72 in the 40.
4.36 short shuttle.
7.19 three-cone drill.
6'7", 295 lbs.

DISCLAIMER: If I am wrong in regards to this bold and fearless prediction, that is fine. I like Reggie Bush, I think he will have a fine NFL career, and I would not be upset or disappointed in the least if he has said fine NFL career with the Houston Texans. I am merely calling it like I see it, and virtually everything this organization has said and done this last week points to Mario Williams being our choice.

I hope you are as excited as I am, and I hope that even the staunchest Bush or Young supporter will join me in welcoming Mr. Mario Williams to the Houston Texans.
Reggie Bush is easily 3 times more important to this team than Williams. He's the table setter for Carr and the offense. He's the reason the O-line will be 3000% better. I cannot fathom the Texans screwing this up. It's truly unfathomable.
Old 04-28-2006   #5
bad
Veteran

Rep Power: 12 bad is on the Pro-Bowl ballotbad is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Quote:
...I am merely calling it like I see it, and virtually everything this organization has said and done this last week points to Mario Williams being our choice.

I still think we're drafting Bush, but I hope and expect that when the dust clears we'll all have the common sense (and common decency) to welcome ALL of our newest Texans with open arms.

And while I'm at it, peace on Earth would be nice.

And a ham sammich.

Vince Lombardi
bad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006   #6
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Jerek calls his shot. 'Bout time somebody called this one.

We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006   #7
kcwilson
All Pro

Rep Power: 12 kcwilson was voted MVPkcwilson was voted MVPkcwilson was voted MVP

"unprecedented physical speciem" careful how you use the word unprecedented... Many believe he doesn't have the speed of a Peppers, who has set the 'precedent'.

"Outstanding pass rusher who can dominate a game" careful when you say this, because there were many games where he was a no show this year and the past few years... against a "modest schedule".

Most of his sacks came in the span of a few games, which hardly counts as dominant.

" I am merely calling it like I see it, and virtually everything this organization has said and done this last week points to Mario Williams being our choice."
...with the exception of multiple contract negotiations with Bush and only a few charitable exchanges with Williams.

I am not Anti-MW, I only think that for the #1 overall pick, you take the best available with as little downside, and I don't see how Bush doesn't fit that mold better than MW.

MW will not put fans in the seats and will not draw attention NATIONALLY to the Texans. RB, his Adidas contract, and all his Subway sandwiches make us a prime time team to watch.

There was a good article somewhere about the attention that Bush brings nationally and internationally which would make McNair's quest to become the NY Yankees of the NFL more achievable. Might have been Jon Lopez. But it makes the most sense.

I like both players and would be happy with either, however, I prefer being safe with Bush at #1 and think the AFC South has their hands full chasing him and AJ around the field.
kcwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-28-2006   #8
The Duke
Rookie

I am with you. I think Williams is a better fit for this team long term.

Defense wins Championships!!!!

HOOK'EM
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006   #9
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 78323 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad
I still think we're drafting Bush, but I hope and expect that when the dust clears we'll all have the common sense (and common decency) to welcome ALL of our newest Texans with open arms.

And while I'm at it, peace on Earth would be nice.

And a ham sammich.
What? No refreshing beverage????

Nice post Jerek.

I agree with the above quote. And will add that if we pick Williams, I will try to improve my PSLs even better and buy from some disappointed sucka.
Texans_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006   #10
WildBlackBear32
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcwilson
MW will not put fans in the seats and will not draw attention NATIONALLY to the Texans. RB, his Adidas contract, and all his Subway sandwiches make us a prime time team to watch.
Why not? If Mario leads the defense in sacks and helps turn them around statistically the team will be winning more, no? When you win you get butts in the seats. You get media attention. Hell, even top defensive ends get good jersey sales. I was pro-Reggie Bush and Anti-Mario for a long time, now I'm really up in the air about both. A top DE is 10x harder to come by than a top RB.
WildBlackBear32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006   #11
Porky
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67402 Porky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingh99
Reggie Bush is easily 3 times more important to this team than Williams. He's the table setter for Carr and the offense. He's the reason the O-line will be 3000% better. I cannot fathom the Texans screwing this up. It's truly unfathomable.
Ditto. Williams will not have the impact a Bush will have, and the fans will revolt. Mcnair will be persona non grata and worse than Bottom Line Bud. Picking a player because of signability has to be the stupidest thing I have ever heard. I truly hope this is a smokescreen.
Old 04-28-2006   #12
kcwilson
All Pro

Rep Power: 12 kcwilson was voted MVPkcwilson was voted MVPkcwilson was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBlackBear32
Why not? If Mario leads the defense in sacks and helps turn them around statistically the team will be winning more, no? When you win you get butts in the seats. You get media attention. Hell, even top defensive ends get good jersey sales. I was pro-Reggie Bush and Anti-Mario for a long time, now I'm really up in the air about both. A top DE is 10x harder to come by than a top RB.
Not for garnering national attention... Chicks dig the longball. Imagine the Texans power by having a native SoCal product on your team... with no LA team and SD moving to Vegas.

Reggie has way more star power than Williams... undisputed. And that is what will drive national attention.
Old 04-28-2006   #13
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 11661 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porky
Ditto. Williams will not have the impact a Bush will have, and the fans will revolt. Mcnair will be persona non grata and worse than Bottom Line Bud. Picking a player because of signability has to be the stupidest thing I have ever heard. I truly hope this is a smokescreen.
Come on porky, don't gas out on me yet. What is wrong about that is that this quote is exactly the same thing -- almost word for word -- that you have been criticizing in the Young camp.

I truly hope you can embrace the massive upside of both Bush and Williams. As I say, I like both of them and would be overly excited to watch either suit up for us next year. Both are tremendous game changers and both are going to do big things in this league. I just firmly believe MW is going to be a Texan this time tomorrow.
Old 04-28-2006   #14
bad
Veteran

Rep Power: 12 bad is on the Pro-Bowl ballotbad is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Quote:
...Picking a player because of signability has to be the stupidest thing I have ever heard...
Yep. Pretty stupid. But stupider than picking a player because a mattress salesman demanded it? 'Cuz that would be Super Duper Stupid.

Vince Lombardi
bad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006   #15
V Man
Pumpkinhead

Rep Power: 19 V Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via MSN to V Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBlackBear32
. A top DE is 10x harder to come by than a top RB.
This is why I think they are still talking to two players. Even as good as Bush is, Kubiack knows with his system you can win will a solid back not necessarily a stud one. But on the other hand, our pass rush stinks out loud. That is why I wouldn't hate getting Bush, but I am personally pulling for Super Mario
V Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006   #16
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcwilson
Not for garnering national attention... Chicks dig the longball. Imagine the Texans power by having a native SoCal product on your team... with no LA team and SD moving to Vegas.

Reggie has way more star power than Williams... undisputed. And that is what will drive national attention.
I do not really give a damn about national media attention to be honest with you. Mike Vick got national media attention -- went to the Pro Bowl again this year, despite sucking -- and the Falcons got a big flash in the pan for that multi million dollar contract. Ask New England how that "no media attention" thing is working out for them. Show me the Reggie Bush on that lousy team. I want to watch wins, and fans want to watch wins. Not in the ballpark of saying Reggie Bush won't make us a better team, but the FO has to be concerned with winning. If they feel Mario Williams improves this team more than Reggie Bush, then they draft Mario Williams.
Old 04-28-2006   #17
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

I say let him fight it out with this guy.

Everybody wins.

We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006   #18
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk75
He is a little drunk dont mind him, I know you know the World knows it is Reggie Bush, I just feel bad it looks like he put a lot of work into that picture.
Not really, took less than ten minutes I just have Photoshop skill on top of skill. Besides, I'm not drunk, I'm at the office. I am however afraid that lot of people are going to be angry drunks about this time tomorrow, which sucks, because we are going to be getting an amazing player and it is going to take half of this board eight games into the season and halfway toward a DROY campaign to warm up to that fact.
Old 04-28-2006   #19
david0205
Rookie

Quote:
AMEN AMEN....freaking retards....you know, TAKE ME. I will sign for 10% less than Alex Smith. Forget Bush and Williams. Ask Trevor Cobb is he wants to come out of retirement!!!
david0205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006   #20
kcwilson
All Pro

Quote:
I do not really give a damn about national media attention to be honest with you. Mike Vick got national media attention -- went to the Pro Bowl again this year, despite sucking -- and the Falcons got a big flash in the pan for that multi million dollar contract. Ask New England how that "no media attention" thing is working out for them. Show me the Reggie Bush on that lousy team. I want to watch wins, and fans want to watch wins. Not in the ballpark of saying Reggie Bush won't make us a better team, but the FO has to be concerned with winning. If they feel Mario Williams improves this team more than Reggie Bush, then they draft Mario Williams.
With all due respecet, it isn't about what you want. It is what McNair wants. A man doesn't get that rich and then say, "You know what? I am good now. I don't want too much money."

Bush is more marketable, and I feel McNair would like to believe that with his talent, he can get a stud offense and if we suck this year (which is a distinct possibility), take a stud DE next year after the Peek/Babin at RDE experiment turns into a debacle. This team has never had an explosive offense... and if we can fix that, then football is more exciting because at least we score.

CHICKS DIG THE LONGBALL.

I like MW too. If we get him I am 100% behind him. Tomorrow only really tells us as fans what development path mgmt is taking with the team - win now vs. win later.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read