Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 04-28-2006   #1
Rosusu
All Pro

Default UT Players

I have a question for all the UT fans out there. Since Cass and McNair have both made it clear that we are not drafting VY would some of the hostility go away if we got other Longhorns later in the draft?

Jonathon Scott- Big, athletic tackle (6-7 310)
David Thomas- Has good hands, could be a touchdown threat. (also a deep snapper)
Rod Wright- Was considered a top 10 pick last year.
Will Allen- OG
Cedric Griffin- Very physical corner

I am a UT and VY fan but I am a bigger Texans fan and I see that all of their off season moves so far are just to do what is best for the team. We currently dont really have UT players on our roster that would ever see playing time. We have had a few A&M players (Mckinney, Glenn) and now we are being coached by one. So I think it would be nice to get a few Longhorns in here. Let me know what y'all think.
Old 04-28-2006   #2
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 108211 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

i'm deffinately not a UT fan (most of my family are aggies, i went to sam, sis is at tech), but i do kinda lead towards anyone from the state. i would like to see david thomas more than anyone else and think he'd be a pretty good fit in the system. he's all across draft boards and noone seems to have a consensus about where he ranks (anywhere from late second round to early 5th). i think we have more pressing needs first day, but if he falls to the 4th, i think he'd be a great addition ... if our guys have him rated highly, it wouldnt hurt my feelings to see him in the 3rd.
Old 04-28-2006   #3
Huge
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Huge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVP

It's always a bonus to have your favorite collegiate players play for your favorite NFL team but it's not something that I rely on to get me through.

So I usually hope that if they don't come to Dallas, that they're at least drafted by a team that will give them the best opportunity to succeed. Chris Simms is a perfect example of this. Roy Williams would be an example of the opposite.
Huge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006   #4
Frills
Veteran

Ced Benson and Mike and Ricky Williams are great NFL players as well.
Frills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006   #5
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosusu
David Thomas- Has good hands, could be a touchdown threat. (also a deep snapper)
Will Allen- OG
I don't think that Scott has the speed to work well for the Texans. When I looked into Thomas, I saw that he would not be a great fit for the Texans either. See my post here for more info:
http://www.houstontexans.com/fan_zon...ht=dave+thomas
Cedric Griffin still looks good to me. He was one of my favorite players to watch. He has the best chance of landing here because CB is something the Texans could use.
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006   #6
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frills
And Casey Hampton, Derrick Johnson and others have been good. Are you an Aggie?The obssession is overhwelming.

As for the question..I think David Thomas is going to do well and succeed. I think he is moving up the boards.
HoustonFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006   #7
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Of the Longhorns in this draft, I think Cedric Griffin has the most likelihood of being a Texan.
Old 04-28-2006   #8
Htown34s
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOgre
Of the Longhorns in this draft, I think Cedric Griffin has the most likelihood of being a Texan.
I agree, mainly because where he is slotted to be taken. I don't think the FO will chose a player that they have ranked lower just because he's an Aggie or Longhorn.
Old 04-28-2006   #9
Caesar
Veteran

Quote:
Since Cass and McNair have both made it clear that we are not drafting VY would some of the hostility go away if we got other Longhorns later in the draft?
It would take away some of my "hostility", but it's not gonna happen. The Texans have passed on UT players at need positions in favor of players who have proven to be of lesser quality, several times. Travis Johnson over DJ, Seth Wand over Derrick Dockery, Dave Ragone over Chris Simms, etc. There's no reason to think that would stop this year.

Based on the projections I've seen, I expect Ced Griffin, Rod Wright, David Thomas, and Jonathan Scott to all be available for our two 3rd round picks. I also expect the Texans to draft some lesser quality nobodies without giving the UT players a sniff. It's become a tradition.

OTOH, it would come as no surprise at all to see Reggie McNeal, Johnny Jolly, or Jason Carter in a Texans uniform next year.
Caesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006   #10
Chicagotexan1
Hall of Fame

Location: In a van down by the river next to another van down by the river
Rep Power: 52 Chicagotexan1 is a quality contributor and well respectedChicagotexan1 is a quality contributor and well respectedChicagotexan1 is a quality contributor and well respectedChicagotexan1 is a quality contributor and well respectedChicagotexan1 is a quality contributor and well respectedChicagotexan1 is a quality contributor and well respectedChicagotexan1 is a quality contributor and well respectedChicagotexan1 is a quality contributor and well respectedChicagotexan1 is a quality contributor and well respectedChicagotexan1 is a quality contributor and well respectedChicagotexan1 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog
And Casey Hampton, Derrick Johnson and others have been good. Are you an Aggie?The obssession is overhwelming.

As for the question..I think David Thomas is going to do well and succeed. I think he is moving up the boards.
DT looks like Todd Heap. He might be a very good player. But I think Huff will have the biggest impact as a rook. That boy can fly.
Chicagotexan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006   #11
Haams
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesar
OTOH, it would come as no surprise at all to see Reggie McNeal, Johnny Jolly, or Jason Carter in a Texans uniform next year.
Man, I agreed to everything you started this post with. The way we continually pass on Longhorns who I really want to see on the team is sickening. Especially with DJ. But on another note, I really hope we see Reggie Mcneal in a Texans jersey. I think that dude is a superb talent who get screwed by ending up A&M. Whoever takes him is getting a player.
Old 04-28-2006   #12
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I have a question for all the UT fans out there. Since Cass and McNair have both made it clear that we are not drafting VY would some of the hostility go away if we got other Longhorns later in the draft?

Will Allen- OG

I am a UT and VY fan but I am a bigger Texans fan and I see that all of their off season moves so far are just to do what is best for the team. We currently dont really have UT players on our roster that would ever see playing time. We have had a few A&M players (Mckinney, Glenn) and now we are being coached by one. So I think it would be nice to get a few Longhorns in here. Let me know what y'all think.
The only player(s) I'd be extremely happy about is Huff or Ced. We have no shot at Huff. You can look it up and about the time we were discussing Travis Johnson vs Derick Johnson last year, I posted that Rod Wright had a shot to be a top five pick if not the #1 overall.
He lost a step from his shopmore to his senior season. The switch in Defense after Derick left exposed his lack of strength. Once he moved back inside, he just wasn't the same player he was his sophmore season. I thought with his great first step he would make a perfect 3-4 DE.
MHO on the rest....

Will Allen a road grader, doesn't fit the scheme.
Johnathon Scott, Wand desease, weak upper body strength
David Thomas H-Back with great hands.

Last edited by threetoedpete; 04-28-2006 at 11:54 AM.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006   #13
tsip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 tsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVP
Default kidding, right?

...don't hold your breath--between the Aggies and UT, there is one player on the roster and he is not a Longhorn!!
tsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006   #14
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Thomas had a great career at Texas and was very valuable to Young's performances, particularly in the Rose Bowl. But we don't need another tight end.

Cedric Griffith has a good shot though because we need DBs.
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006   #15
The Duke
Rookie

Houston doesn't Draft Texas players.

GO HOUSTON CALIFORNIANS!!!

HOOK'EM
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006   #16
kingh99

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOgre
I'd rather have Michael Griffin next year. That guys got game.
Old 04-28-2006   #17
MasterC25
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frills
Not Mike Williams he is a bust that was just released by the Bills.
MasterC25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006   #18
dwilt72
Veteran

Quote:
Not really. VY is VY. I'm a big Longhorn fan, but I think not taking him is a big mistake. However, I'm super afraid they are going to pass on RB too (even bigger mistake). I understand that they think RB will make them better faster and I don't disagree with that. However, in the right offense, I think VY could HUGE! So to answer your question, taking a Longhorn just for the sake of taking a Longhorn won't make me feel better. I will still be super disappointed that they didn't draft VY, but I will still be a Texans fan. However, if he turns out to be the player I think he will be, I'll be calling in to sports shows reminding them of their mistake.
dwilt72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006   #19
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 108211 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Duke
Houston doesn't Draft Texas players.

GO HOUSTON CALIFORNIANS!!!
what gets me is it seems almost intentional to avoid anyone from this state.
Old 04-28-2006   #20
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 248395 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I'm not a UT fan. I'm a VY fan...... I'm also a Texans fan. It boggles my mind, that things were so perfect for us to drop the 2nd best player of the 2002 draft(when only 2 first round picks not labeled busts..... yet). We owed him nothing......... monetarily. We have the #1 overall. We have a new System, we aren't going to be in the playoff hunt, we don't have Veteran players who may be on their last year who deserve the final best push of the team to get to the SuperBowl.

We've got a highly touted QB coach, a Coach who utilizes system runningbacks in his running system....

Vince wasn't supposed to come out this year, but after one of the best college performance ever, against one of the best college teams........ ever, he opted to enter the draft early, with the hopes of playing for his hometown team..........

it was perfect.

Jamaal Charles....... sign Jamaal Charles in 3 years, if he's still playing at a high level. Then I'll forgive the Texans...... he's not from Houston, so you can't pull that hometown crap.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read