Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 04-27-2006   #1
Seņor Stan
El Guapo

Rep Power: 44649 Seņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Bush Update from Lenny Pasquarelli

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft0...ory?id=2424706

Seems like the earlier reported progress is incremental at best.
Seņor Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006   #2
TexasJedi
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seņor Stan
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft0...ory?id=2424706

Seems like the earlier reported progress is incremental at best.
This is the part I don't like.

Quote:
Another factor that slowed talks a bit was a report suggesting the Texans had cleverly leveraged Bush by simultaneously negotiating with North Carolina State defensive end Mario Williams, the only other candidate for the top spot in the draft. That report angered some members of the Bush family and seemed to further steel the USC star's resolve to land a contract he considered to be market value.
TexasJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006   #3
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 28048 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Interesting article and very glad the Texans are doing there due diligence. We have the leverage and I commend the FO and McNair for the work they have done to date.
Old 04-27-2006   #4
JDizzle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2754 JDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respected

Agreed, Kaiser. Bush is a phenom, but he better get use to this kind of stuff. Your crap actually stinks in the NFL.
JDizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006   #5
Mike Kerns
LYSB Podcast

Section: My Living Room
Rep Power: 1517 Mike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Mike Kerns Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Kerns Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Kerns

To quote Dr. Evil: "..........*****."
Mike Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006   #6
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19489 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro
Interesting article and very glad the Texans are doing there due diligence. We have the leverage and I commend the FO and McNair for the work they have done to date.

I agree. Business is business, and they are trying to negotiate millions of dollars, what are they supposed to do offer up McNair's house as a signing bonus. If I was Bush's family, I would be more grateful they have a kid with such unbelievable talent, if the article is accurate that is.
Old 04-27-2006   #7
Texans34Life
I BLEED TEXANS!

Rep Power: 1028 Texans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Wow, I love the position we are in. Got the top 2 college players in the palm of our hands.

Who to pick, Mario "The Beast" Williams or Reggie "The Jet" Bush? Hmmmmmmmmmmmm........

HoustonTexans4Life - 2010-2011 CHAMPION of TexansTalk Survivor and TexansTalk Pick'em
Texans34Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-27-2006   #8
4Texans
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46 4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected

Bush better not get too cute with his contract demands. what do you think the financial drop off would be if the Texans take Williams, and Bush slips to 2, 3, 4??? The cost for RB's starts going down really fast........
Old 04-27-2006   #9
barzilla
Veteran

Paint me in the minority on this one, but it seems like Bush has been their number one all along. It's one thing to tell the press you are choosing between two players, but you should really focus on negotiations with your top choice instead of playing both halves out of the middle. That can end up blowing up in your face.
barzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006   #10
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 28048 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by barzilla
Paint me in the minority on this one, but it seems like Bush has been their number one all along. It's one thing to tell the press you are choosing between two players, but you should really focus on negotiations with your top choice instead of playing both halves out of the middle. That can end up blowing up in your face.
Although I agree with your logic most of the time in this type of situation, I would disagree in this instance as Mr. McNair has been consistent with this in 2002 and in 2006 in that he deems it extremely important to have a deal done before the draft. He even said it again this morning on ESPN. He has the #1 and he has set expectations to the potential parties. Whether it is smoke and mirrors or not no one can claim he is not consistent and in the court of public/private opinion consistency normally wins out.
Old 04-27-2006   #11
Texas_Thrill
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Texas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballotTexas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Quote:
Originally Posted by barzilla
I agree with this to a point. It seems as if that's who you want you are wasting valuble time trying to make sure MW's contract talks keep pace. I'd give him minimal time at best.

With only 3 being signed though before the draft I'm not really feeling like this will make a difference one way or the other. They will still pick bush.

I'm actually in bush's corner. The Texans FO have made this hype machine by jumping on his jockstrap so early. At this point why should he NOT make more than A. Smith did last year???? I mean he can WALK on water according to our front office.
Old 04-27-2006   #12
Mike Kerns
LYSB Podcast

Rep Power: 1517 Mike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Mike Kerns Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Kerns Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Kerns

I don't think much of our front office is going to bed until Monday.
Old 04-27-2006   #13
HeroTime
Rookie

To bad Mario is said to want the same pay as Reggie is. If both players are said to be equal then moneywise the smart thing to do is pick Mario. DE make more than RB on average.

I for one am not convinced that Mario is even higher rated than D'brick.
HeroTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006   #14
Mike Kerns
LYSB Podcast

I heard someone say that both Mario AND Reggie are wanting more than Alex Smith. No way I shell that out for Mario If I am in control. But I'm not, so I will have to wait and see.
Old 04-27-2006   #15
Dr. Toro
All Pro

Rep Power: 10 Dr. Toro is on the Pro-Bowl ballotDr. Toro is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

The problem is Mario's people haven't responded to our original offer, according to Mclain.
Dr. Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006   #16
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 30061 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasJedi
This is the part I don't like.
I didn't like that part either. Maybe it is Charlie saying it they don't like We need to play hardball but it gave them a little more resolve. Typical of these things.
HoustonFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006   #17
outofhnd
All Pro

itll be tomorrow evening if we have a deal done...

you know WE have other picks we have to prepare for...

I dont think we wanna waste a whole day answering questions about why they are drafting who they are drafting when they can do that sat and sun night.
Old 04-27-2006   #18
barzilla
Veteran

What they don't realize is that they may be pissing off the Williams camp at the same time. I was watching the NFL Network and a reporter asked Williams what he thought of the fact that "a deal with Bush was imminent". If this turns out not to be true we look like asses and his people will hold our feet to the fire.

I say you privately make your pick and when you think you won't get an offer for the pick you want you start negotiations with your choice. If you keep going over the next day you will at least make progress.
barzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006   #19
outofhnd
All Pro

niether side can be happy about this period.. But this is a business, people dont understand 50 million dollars in a player who hasnt even suited up for the team is a lot of money to bet the farm on 1 guy.. I like the fact we are keeping things open... we are not handcuffed at all..
Old 04-27-2006   #20
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 43261 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frak The Jags
I heard someone say that both Mario AND Reggie are wanting more than Alex Smith. No way I shell that out for Mario If I am in control. But I'm not, so I will have to wait and see.
At least DE's are a higher paid commodity in general than RB's. THat makes it a more realistic demand. IF that is the case and not just heresay
kiwitexansfan is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read