Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Bush Update from Lenny Pasquarelli

Señor Stan said:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft06/news/story?id=2424706

Seems like the earlier reported progress is incremental at best.

This is the part I don't like.

Another factor that slowed talks a bit was a report suggesting the Texans had cleverly leveraged Bush by simultaneously negotiating with North Carolina State defensive end Mario Williams, the only other candidate for the top spot in the draft. That report angered some members of the Bush family and seemed to further steel the USC star's resolve to land a contract he considered to be market value.

Interesting article and very glad the Texans are doing there due diligence. We have the leverage and I commend the FO and McNair for the work they have done to date.

Agreed, Kaiser. Bush is a phenom, but he better get use to this kind of stuff. Your crap actually stinks in the NFL.

Kaiser Toro said:
Interesting article and very glad the Texans are doing there due diligence. We have the leverage and I commend the FO and McNair for the work they have done to date.

I agree. Business is business, and they are trying to negotiate millions of dollars, what are they supposed to do offer up McNair's house as a signing bonus. If I was Bush's family, I would be more grateful they have a kid with such unbelievable talent, if the article is accurate that is.

Wow, I love the position we are in. Got the top 2 college players in the palm of our hands.

Who to pick, Mario "The Beast" Williams or Reggie "The Jet" Bush? Hmmmmmmmmmmmm........

Bush better not get too cute with his contract demands. what do you think the financial drop off would be if the Texans take Williams, and Bush slips to 2, 3, 4??? The cost for RB's starts going down really fast........

Paint me in the minority on this one, but it seems like Bush has been their number one all along. It's one thing to tell the press you are choosing between two players, but you should really focus on negotiations with your top choice instead of playing both halves out of the middle. That can end up blowing up in your face.

barzilla said:
Paint me in the minority on this one, but it seems like Bush has been their number one all along. It's one thing to tell the press you are choosing between two players, but you should really focus on negotiations with your top choice instead of playing both halves out of the middle. That can end up blowing up in your face.

Although I agree with your logic most of the time in this type of situation, I would disagree in this instance as Mr. McNair has been consistent with this in 2002 and in 2006 in that he deems it extremely important to have a deal done before the draft. He even said it again this morning on ESPN. He has the #1 and he has set expectations to the potential parties. Whether it is smoke and mirrors or not no one can claim he is not consistent and in the court of public/private opinion consistency normally wins out.

:rolleyes:
barzilla said:

I agree with this to a point. It seems as if that's who you want you are wasting valuble time trying to make sure MW's contract talks keep pace. I'd give him minimal time at best.

With only 3 being signed though before the draft I'm not really feeling like this will make a difference one way or the other. They will still pick bush.

I'm actually in bush's corner. The Texans FO have made this hype machine by jumping on his jockstrap so early. At this point why should he NOT make more than A. Smith did last year???? I mean he can WALK on water according to our front office.

To bad Mario is said to want the same pay as Reggie is. If both players are said to be equal then moneywise the smart thing to do is pick Mario. DE make more than RB on average.

I for one am not convinced that Mario is even higher rated than D'brick.

I heard someone say that both Mario AND Reggie are wanting more than Alex Smith. No way I shell that out for Mario If I am in control. But I'm not, so I will have to wait and see.

TexasJedi said:
This is the part I don't like.

I didn't like that part either. Maybe it is Charlie saying it they don't like:) We need to play hardball but it gave them a little more resolve. Typical of these things.

itll be tomorrow evening if we have a deal done...

you know WE have other picks we have to prepare for...

I dont think we wanna waste a whole day answering questions about why they are drafting who they are drafting when they can do that sat and sun night.

What they don't realize is that they may be pissing off the Williams camp at the same time. I was watching the NFL Network and a reporter asked Williams what he thought of the fact that "a deal with Bush was imminent". If this turns out not to be true we look like asses and his people will hold our feet to the fire.

I say you privately make your pick and when you think you won't get an offer for the pick you want you start negotiations with your choice. If you keep going over the next day you will at least make progress.

niether side can be happy about this period.. But this is a business, people dont understand 50 million dollars in a player who hasnt even suited up for the team is a lot of money to bet the farm on 1 guy.. I like the fact we are keeping things open... we are not handcuffed at all..

Frak The Jags said:
I heard someone say that both Mario AND Reggie are wanting more than Alex Smith. No way I shell that out for Mario If I am in control. But I'm not, so I will have to wait and see.

At least DE's are a higher paid commodity in general than RB's. THat makes it a more realistic demand. IF that is the case and not just heresay

What's wrong with us settling in the middle between what he wants and what Alex Smith received?

Meet in the middle and get on with life.

And if the talk about Mario is true, then YES he will make us pay dearly for using him as a decoy. And why would he want to play for us if we DID use him in the early stages?

All this makes me think we are landing Bush whether we have a deal or not. We're close to signing him...and now it makes the conpsiracy theorist in me wonder if the Texans had snoops out there to find this dirt on Bush so they could squeeze him back since the Bush family squeezed the Texans about the Mario decoy thing. What do you think? Interesting timing, eh? Get a little dirt on a guy, knowing it doesn't mean a lot...but that it IS showing that Bush needs to be thankful and sign the paper. Of course, I'll have one poster who will tsk tsk me for even suggesting that McNair would do such a thing or allow it to happen. "It's not personal, Tom...it's strictly business" -- Michael Corleone.

Back