Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 04-27-2006   #1
pittbull
All Pro

Send a message via AIM to pittbull
Default 31 out of 32...

How many teams in the league would disregard Reggie Bush and pass on him if the Texans pull the biggest blunder in NFL draft history, by selecting another player, without any compensation?

I say at least 28 out of 31 would. With the exception of San Diego, Kansas City, and maybe Seattle. Every other team would gow with Bush.

What do you think?
Old 04-27-2006   #2
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittbull
How many teams in the league would disregard Reggie Bush and pass on him if the Texans pull the biggest blunder in NFL draft history, by selecting another player, without any compensation?

I say at least 28 out of 31 would. With the exception of San Diego, Kansas City, and maybe Seattle. Every other team would gow with Bush.

What do you think?
Given we were the 2nd worst defense in the league last year with young Safeties and CB's returning. I could see how we would pass on him for a better pass rush.
Old 04-27-2006   #3
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

I think they would all tell you what a great player Bush is and that an athlete like that doesn't come along that often. Then if you pressured them, they would probably tell you about how rarely#1 Running Back draft picks make it to the Super Bowl. Then they would look at their books and determine if it was something they really needed or if they really needed that #1 draft pick to go somewhere else. Basically, I think they will overanalyze it to death.

If the Texans don't take Bush, he won't make it out of the top 5. Jets, Saints, and Titans could all use a stout running back, just like the Texans. But without that choice, they are going with the next best things.
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006   #4
pittbull
All Pro

Send a message via AIM to pittbull
Default I hear ya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro
Given we were the 2nd worst defense in the league last year with young Safeties and CB's returning. I could see how we would pass on him for a better pass rush.
I undestand we have needs, but there are other players in the draft for defense, but there isn't another Bush or Young.
Old 04-27-2006   #5
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I undestand we have needs, but there are other players in the draft for defense, but there isn't another Bush or Young.
I agree my man. When we got the #1 we all knew that many of us would be disappointed with who ever we picked. I am a Texans fan first and will not be disappointed if we take Bush or Williams, but will be concerned about our defense for the next couple of years if we take Bush.

I don't hope that VY struggles with his new team, but would not mind if he found himslef back here in a couple of years as I am all for having another team develop a QB.
Old 04-27-2006   #6
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 378037 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Bush is BPA, by just about anyone's analysis.

BUT (big but ), what do we need more? Another RB, or a dominant pash rusher?

Personally, I'm a defense-wins-champions kinda' guy, so I guess I secretly lean towards Williams (no secret now, 'eh?).

I won't mind either player, or even if they do something crazy like take Young. We get a playmaker, which we need on both sides of the ball.
Old 04-27-2006   #7
Texas_Thrill
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Texas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballotTexas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel

Personally, I'm a defense-wins-champions kinda' guy, so I guess I secretly lean towards Williams (no secret now, 'eh?).

I won't mind either player, or even if they do something crazy like take Young. We get a playmaker, which we need on both sides of the ball.
Agreed. For goodness sake though PLEASE DON'T LET us turn into the COLTS!!!!
Old 04-27-2006   #8
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 128861 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

i think you'd be suprised. i'm willing to bet that a lot of teams that are looking for a qb would pass on bush. i didnt keep up with everybody's offseason, but teams like tennessee, washington, dallas, kansas city, would take either leinhart or young first. then there are teams like new orleans, san diego, seattle, giants, & atlanta who'd look more at d'brick or mario. and then some like the raiders, vikings, & browns who are a toss up. yes, the majority would obviously take him, but that's 12 teams right there without researching. but, as always it's just one person's guess.
Old 04-27-2006   #9
houstonhurricane
All Pro

Rep Power: 938 houstonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respected

If we ignorantly passed on Bush, the Saints would snap him up in a heartbeat. Williams MAY turn out to be a fine defensive player. However, if he could not dominate an entire season at the collegiate level, I am not sure how his workouts at the combine should serve as an indicator that he is now ready to dominate at the NFL level...
Old 04-27-2006   #10
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 70559 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel

Not true. At least according to Ron Wolf, most of the NFL men he's still in contact with have Mario Williams rated #1. I don't think Ron Wolf has an agenda so I would believe he is being honest.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006   #11
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 11661 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy
Not true. At least according to Ron Wolf, most of the NFL men he's still in contact with have Mario Williams rated #1. I don't think Ron Wolf has an agenda so I would believe he is being honest.
That is true. Many have Williams as the #1 overall choice. Bush is certainly flashier and better known, but it isn't just our FO that thinks he is worthy of the #1 pick. Trust me, a guy like Kubiak isn't making this decision lightly.
Old 04-28-2006   #12
Mike Kerns
LYSB Podcast

Section: My Living Room
Rep Power: 1518 Mike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Mike Kerns Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Kerns Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Kerns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Thrill
Agreed. For goodness sake though PLEASE DON'T LET us turn into the COLTS!!!!
Yeah, it would SUCK to make the playoffs every year, I agree...
Mike Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006   #13
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 98483 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonhurricane
If we ignorantly passed on Bush, the Saints would snap him up in a heartbeat. Williams MAY turn out to be a fine defensive player. However, if he could not dominate an entire season at the collegiate level, I am not sure how his workouts at the combine should serve as an indicator that he is now ready to dominate at the NFL level...
If you have read about what Mario Williams was asked to do at the college level his role as asked by the coaches was outside containment quite a bit of the time. He wasn't just turned loose on the quarterback, he said at one point that he wasn't allowed to make inside moves on his man. This is why he wasn't racking up big sack numbers every game. It also tells us that he is disciplined and team first player.

If you want to see the quotes from Mario they are in the draft section somewhere.
kiwitexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006   #14
Bearfan Blue and Orange
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frak The Jags
That would be fun for about 3 times, and then everyone would be calling for someone's head because we cannot with the BIG GAME!!!

Getting to the playoffs is a goal, but EVERY football fan and player knows you play for the SuperBowl, not the playoffs only.

Want an example... Look at Denver, Minnesota, Buffalo just to name a few. Fun at the beginning, but really sucks when you cannot get to the end!!!

and something EVERY football fan knows... DEFENSE WINS SUPERBOWLS!!!

Want an example... Bears, Ravens, Steelers, just to name a few.
Bearfan Blue and Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006   #15
Bearfan Blue and Orange
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonhurricane

Noone has defended that Bush is an elite RB either, he only played "part-time" at RB at USC. I think that was on purpose by the coaching staff at USC because I think they knew what he could do and that was not be a dominant true RB.

Williams will be MORE than a "fine" defensive player. Texans already have talent at WR, RB, and TE now. The FO has helped solidify the Front line of the offense 10x better than last season. I think if you really want to get to the playoffs, you draft WILLIAMS, he is going to be easier to sign and get into camp when it starts, immediate impact at the position at hand. I would rather have a player dominant in his position than good in a few positions, especially if he is going to be my #1 pick in the draft.

I think if Bush was a true RB that rushed 20-30 times a game and dominated that position in college, I would be more inclined to pick him #1.

Williams is the guy...
Bearfan Blue and Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006   #16
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

We need a playmaker on offense and a playmaker on defense. We should walk away with one of those two in Bush or Williams. I'm excited either way. However, I think the 2nd-4th round selections are really going to be even more of a key to this draft. Hopefully Casserly surprises us and doesn't F this up.
Old 04-28-2006   #17
Texas_Thrill
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Texas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballotTexas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Quote:
Silly me for wanting to WIN SUPER BOWLS....not just make an appearance.
Old 04-28-2006   #18
Texans2005
Rookie

Default You Are Correct

Quote:

What do you think?
If we pass on REGGIE BUSH, then every fan of the NFL will realize that our 2-14 Record last year was not a fluke and completely due to AN ABSOLUTELY WORST THAN TERRIBLE GM of this football team.
:brickwall :brickwall :brickwall :brickwall :
Texans2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006   #19
Texas
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to Texas

Seattle - Kansas City - San Diego - Tampa Bay - Miami and even a few more I beleive would pass on him...I would really rather us draft Williams so we dont end up like the colts but then again going from 2-14 to being like the colts wouldnt be bad...Either way Bush or Williams im happy
Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006   #20
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

Quote:

yeah if its always heartbreak after heartbreak, cause teams with good defenses always win, its rare you ever see just a good offensive team win the superbowl. NE, Pittsburg, last 4 SB winners both had VERY good defenses, and then the colts wow the playoffs but how many SB rings do they have ?
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read