Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-27-2006   #1
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Pitts on 610

He said right now he is a left guard and Wand at left tackle. Said he is dieting to get lighter because they are learning the pure zone blocking of moving and cutting. Great, now the other teams can call us dirty....McKinney, Weigart on the other side. That is it for now.
HoustonFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006   #2
pittbull
All Pro

Send a message via AIM to pittbull
Default Come on

I feel like a better at the track. I just want my horse to come in!!! Come on Bush, come on!!!
Old 04-27-2006   #3
pittbull
All Pro

Send a message via AIM to pittbull
Default Pitts

Sounds like he also wants reggie running behind him!
Old 04-27-2006   #4
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 42948 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog
He said right now he is a left guard and Wand at left tackle. Said he is dieting to get lighter because they are learning the pure zone blocking of moving and cutting. Great, now the other teams can call us dirty....McKinney, Weigart on the other side. That is it for now.
You have got to be kidding me. The best our line has looked was years 2 and latter half of year 4. That is with Pitts playing Left Tackle. Freeney makes Wand look like a chump. Wand couldn't even beat out Victor Riley for playing time much less starting.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006   #5
fball
Rookie

That because we had an incompetent coaching staff, that why they got fired!
fball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006   #6
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED
You have got to be kidding me. The best our line has looked was years 2 and latter half of year 4. That is with Pitts playing Left Tackle. Freeney makes Wand look like a chump. Wand couldn't even beat out Victor Riley for playing time much less starting.
They asked him straight up if he is a T or G and he said G for right now. He said he just wants to stick somewhere. Maybe I was reading too much into it but he seemed "resigned" or a little down about that question like he preferred T. Of course it is early and this is April. Looks like I'm not the only one who thouight he wasn't happy about being at LG. The guys on the show said you could tell and hear it through the phone.

Last edited by HoustonFrog; 04-27-2006 at 03:59 PM.
HoustonFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006   #7
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He said right now he is a left guard and Wand at left tackle.
Is this a good enough source to confirm the unfounded rumor that the left side isn't "set" with Pitts/McKinney?

Quote:
They asked him straight up if he is a T or G and he said G for right now. He said he just wants to stick somewhere. Maybe I was reading too much into it but he seemed "resigned" or a little down about that question like he preferred T. Of course it is early and this is April. Looks like I'm not the only one who thouight he wasn't happy about being at LG. The guys on the show said you could tell and hear it through the phone.
He probably isn't happy about it, because tackle, especially left tackle, is more glamorous. If he puts that behind him and plays guard as a team player, this is the best unit we have right now.

Last edited by Runner; 04-27-2006 at 04:42 PM.
Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-27-2006   #8
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED
Wand couldn't even beat out Victor Riley for playing time much less starting.
And the line played far worse after that brilliant decision.

Sherman has confidence in this line-up. I trust his judgement, but we'll certainly see how it unfolds.
Old 04-27-2006   #9
jacquescas
Hall of Fame

and once Eric Winston or Marcus McNeill (whomever we take in the 2nd round) comes in and beats the snot out of Wand it will be clear to Pitts that he is a guard.
jacquescas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006   #10
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner
He probably isn't happy about it, because tackle, especially left tackle, is more glamorous. If he puts that behind him and plays guard as a team player, this is the best unit we have right now.
Yes, and I have felt part of Wand's problems were Pitts playing LG. I have wanted Wiegert to play the LG position. I think that would be an excellent combination. Wiegert is always a team player and seems to take guys under his wing. I have always wanted Pitts at the RT or RG position.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006   #11
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibar_Harry
Yes, and I have felt part of Wand's problems were Pitts playing LG. I have wanted Wiegert to play the LG position. I think that would be an excellent combination. Wiegert is always a team player and seems to take guys under his wing. I have always wanted Pitts at the RT or RG position.
Thanks a lot. Now I'm really getting confused.

I've always thought that what Wand needs is a guy like Flannagan at LG to help him out. We should just put Pitts at center and, oh by the way, lets stick McKinney over at RT. See how that works out.

edit: Can't we stick Wade in at MLB?
HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006   #12
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72
Thanks a lot. Now I'm really getting confused.

I've always thought that what Wand needs is a guy like Flannagan at LG to help him out. We should just put Pitts at center and, oh by the way, lets stick McKinney over at RT. See how that works out.

edit: Can't we stick Wade in at MLB?
Make fun if you like, but the QB relys on left side protection. You need two guys working together. That's the way I feel.
Old 04-27-2006   #13
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Last year, just a few months ago actually, Pitts was our best LT and Wand was coming around at RT. I think we should stick with that unless we draft somebody like Winston. I must admit that I'm confused on this issue some, but I just don't see putting Wand at LT helping this team, even though he will probably be a lot better than he was 2 yrs. ago.
Old 04-27-2006   #14
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibar_Harry
Make fun if you like, but the QB relys on left side protection. You need two guys working together. That's the way I feel.
Sorry, I disagree some (I think), but I was really just having fun with ya.
Old 04-27-2006   #15
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

All Wand needs is some improved footwork and some double team help against Freeney, like 90% of the NFL does (including the Texans last year with Pitts/Brown).

When someone grades Wand only by the 2004 Indy games, they see a first year starter/second year project going one-on-one against a player that anyone short of Orlando Pace gets help with. This is a specific example of bad coaching.

Quote:
Last year, just a few months ago actually, Pitts was our best LT and Wand was coming around at RT. I think we should stick with that unless we draft somebody like Winston. I must admit that I'm confused on this issue some, but I just don't see putting Wand at LT helping this team, even though he will probably be a lot better than he was 2 yrs. ago.
Pitts was the best LT we had that played any significant time last year. Sherman thinks Wand is the best left tackle on the roster. Remember, he was a three year project that exceeded expectations by starting his second year. Then he was benched. We have some hidden gems on our roster who weren't discovered/used by our old staff.

Last edited by Runner; 04-27-2006 at 05:02 PM.
Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006   #16
SESupergenius

This is alarming if true. Another year lf shuffling=another year Carr gets sacks. Wand at LT? Are you kidding me? Where does Mckinney end up?
Old 04-27-2006   #17
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Sorry, I disagree some (I think), but I was really just having fun with ya.
Hey, that's alright, but I really do not like Pitts at the LG position. I think he has to much interest in the LT position. I think he needs a change of scenery. This is a gut feeling thing. I really feel strongly about Wiegert and his team play. Actually Wiegert played some LT for the Rams I believe. So he too is not unfamilar with the play at that position.

Line play is all about team work. I just feel these two are our best players for the left side at this point in time. After the draft that might be another matter.
Old 04-27-2006   #18
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by SESupergenius
This is alarming if true. Another year lf shuffling=another year Carr gets sacks. Wand at LT? Are you kidding me? Where does Mckinney end up?
The o-line depth chart for the past month has been Wand-Pitts-Flanagan-McKinney-Weigert.

Here's a previous discussion:

http://www.houstontexans.com/fan_zon...ad.php?t=21229
Old 04-27-2006   #19
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

Part of Pitts' performance last year was the shorter offensive release (Carr took fewer steps, then either dumped the ball off or high-tailed it to the nearest corner). I'm not trying to knock Pitts here, but I think if you are going to compare Pitts and Wands, you need to consider that Wand had to block longer.

Also, as has been mentioned, Wand received less help on the line; switching Pitts and McKinney could help the chemistry out.
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006   #20
Porky
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52757 Porky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respected

Pitts is a better guard flat out, and Wand fits this scheme, so give him a chance, at least pending what we do this weekend. I have no problem with this move. This isn't a suprise to the people who come here alot. And, there is also a good article on hpf regarding this for those interested.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read