Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-27-2006   #1
David's Busted Carr
Veteran

Default What could we get for DD?

Now that it looks like Reggie is s done deal, we should start exploring DD trades. I think it would be in the best interest of DD and the Texans to move him. He is still a starting caliber RB, but with Reggie he's demoted to the bench and he's making too much money for that. And Vernand Morency can fill the backup role just fine.

I've read on a few boards about a rumor of the Texans trying to trade him to the Jets for DT Dewayne Robertson. I'd do that in a heartbeat if I'm the Texans, and it makes sense for the Jets to replace Curtis Martin. But if that doesn't work out, what else should we go after? Another draft pick? Perhaps a 2nd or 3rd rounder?

Last edited by David's Busted Carr; 04-27-2006 at 11:35 AM.
David's Busted Carr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006   #2
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5496 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

If hes is traded, I want either a pick or a starting caliber DB or OL. He has value and may be sought after. The pick would be mid 3rd early 4th.
Old 04-27-2006   #3
Texas_Thrill
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Texas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballotTexas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Don't think that DD is going anywhere. Morency is unproven and nobody is sure if or what Bush's role will be as of yet.

I'm not going to assume he's the starting back. Remember he still needs to learn how to BLOCK in the NFL. No small task and since we saw how WELL DD did at it...I'm certainly not ready to just hand RB the starting role.

I'm not sure also the salary cap implications of moving DD. I still find it crazy that our backfield (both whom will be part-time now) is valued at 70 million plus. :brickwall
Old 04-27-2006   #4
Texas
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to Texas

I beleive we will keep DD because in Denver kubiak with multiple "starting" rb's...I think we will run splitback and use RB in the slot to cause mis-matches...However if we were to trade DD i'd like to get a starting Safety to compete with who we have...
Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006   #5
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

There is no way I want to trade DD. A two back set, with Reggie and DD sounds great to me. I am sure most of the time they will rotate in and out with a FB in there, but the possibilities our mind blowing.

Kubiak systems = 2 running backs (A La Denver Broncos)
I look for Morency to fill in if one of these guys miss any time, probably not getting as many touches as who they are filling in for.

DD will not be "benched", look for him and Reggie to share the load. DD will not have to do it all by himself and therefore he will not get beat up and injured as much. I think it is going to work out great. Bush will probably run it 10-15 times and maybe a reception or two, maybe even throw in some PR's, who knows. DD will probably tote it around 15 times, with another touch or two.
Old 04-27-2006   #6
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 195251 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas
I beleive we will keep DD because in Denver kubiak with multiple "starting" rb's...I think we will run splitback and use RB in the slot to cause mis-matches...However if we were to trade DD i'd like to get a starting Safety to compete with who we have...
Denver has never had any such thing.....

Terrell Davis, Mike Anderson, Olandis Gary, Reuban Droughns, and Tatum Bell........ none of those guys were starters, until Denver made them starters.... If those guys hadn't gone to Denver, they more than likely wouldn't have been starters.

As soon as they felt like they had two starting running backs, one was shown the exit sign.

Nobody drafts a starting Running Back in the 4th round or later.
Old 04-27-2006   #7
BREAZE
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by David's Busted Carr
Now that it looks like Reggie is s done deal, we should start exploring DD trades.
Why? We just extended his contract. If we are not going to trade Carr then its safe to say we won't be trading DD. He is a different back from Bush and Bush won't be playing RB the whole game. The variation in RB styles will keep opposing defenses guessing...
BREAZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-27-2006   #8
Texas
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss
Denver has never had any such thing.....

Terrell Davis, Mike Anderson, Olandis Gary, Reuban Droughns, and Tatum Bell........ none of those guys were starters, until Denver made them starters.... If those guys hadn't gone to Denver, they more than likely wouldn't have been starters.

As soon as they felt like they had two starting running backs, one was shown the exit sign.

The quotation marks around "starting" means that on the DENVER squad they were starters...Tatum Bell and Reuben Drougns shared time on the field...DD would not have been a starter for any other team being drafted when he did either...
Old 04-27-2006   #9
Wharton
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 11 Wharton was voted MVPWharton was voted MVPWharton was voted MVP

DD has always been an average to slightly better then average running back due to his inability to stay healthy. In a trade, I think we would get a similar type player or possibly a third round pick.

Personally, I hope we keep him. Reggie hasn't proven to be a work horse yet and maybe injury prone as well. I just think its a little early for the conversation. Also, DDs best trade value will come during the middle to late part of the season, when another team has injury problems.
Wharton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006   #10
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 195251 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayseed2002
We are paying superstar money for beenwie weinnies grub!
Let's see..... we have a running back who came in off the bench, and managed to be ranked 19th in the NFL his rookie season, missing 2 games. He came back in 2004, raised his NFL ranking amoung NFL running backs to 15th, and rushing for more than 1000 yards, 1788 all purpose yards, and 14 NFL touchdowns against NFL defenses. His third year, he ranks 9th of all NFL running backs, missing 5 games... 1313 all purpose yards, 5 TDs on a team with no passing game, that went 2-14. In those three seasons, he played as well as, if not better than Tiki Barber, Shaun Alexander, Larry Johnson, Priest Holmes, Jamal Lewis, Warrick Dunn, and Edgerin James did their first three seasons.... and he played in as many games as all of those "injury proned" runningbacks.

Oh, forgot.... he played 2 games less than Ladanian Tomlinson did his rookie year. DD avg 4.3 yards a carry, and 7.5 yards/reception, compared to LT's 3.6 ypc, and 6.2 yards/reception. 14 TDs for DD, 15 for LT. LT's longest run was 54 yards, and he had 7 carries longer than 20 yards. DD's longest was 51 yards, and he had 5 carries for more than 20 yards(remember, he played 2 games less than LT).

And, LT played on a better team than DD did.

'sides, I like Beenie Weenies...........
Old 04-27-2006   #11
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Let's see..... we have a running back who came in off the bench, and managed to be ranked 19th in the NFL his rookie season, missing 2 games. He came back in 2004, raised his NFL ranking amoung NFL running backs to 15th, and rushing for more than 1000 yards, 1788 all purpose yards, and 14 NFL touchdowns against NFL defenses. His third year, he ranks 9th of all NFL running backs, missing 5 games... 1313 all purpose yards, 5 TDs on a team with no passing game, that went 2-14. In those three seasons, he played as well as, if not better than Tiki Barber, Shaun Alexander, Larry Johnson, Priest Holmes, Jamal Lewis, Warrick Dunn, and Edgerin James did their first three seasons.... and he played in as many games as all of those "injury proned" runningbacks.

Oh, forgot.... he played 2 games less than Ladanian Tomlinson did his rookie year. DD avg 4.3 yards a carry, and 7.5 yards/reception, compared to LT's 3.6 ypc, and 6.2 yards/reception. 14 TDs for DD, 15 for LT. LT's longest run was 54 yards, and he had 7 carries longer than 20 yards. DD's longest was 51 yards, and he had 5 carries for more than 20 yards(remember, he played 2 games less than LT).

And, LT played on a better team than DD did.

'sides, I like Beenie Weenies...........
Great post!
Old 04-27-2006   #12
dwilt72
Veteran

Most teams are become two back systems. Besides, Reggie is a tremendous receiver and I can see him and DD on the field a lot together. Put Reggie in the slot, line them up together, send him in motion, etc. I think both backs will get the ball and I think they will both have a nice year.
dwilt72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006   #13
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Oh yes they do!!!

Signed,

Domanick Davis.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006   #14
Mike Kerns
LYSB Podcast

Section: My Living Room
Rep Power: 1517 Mike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Mike Kerns Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Kerns Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Kerns

I don't think he goes anywhere. At least not this upcoming season. Remember that the Seahawks couldn't even get a third round pick for Shaun Alexander a couple seasons ago.
Mike Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006   #15
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I think we also need to consider if Bush being there also allows us to use Domanick Davis more on special teams like he was originally drafted for. We have quite a few returners last year but none of them did as good a job as Davis did returning punts.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006   #16
Texas
Hall of Fame

I doubt we will do it but if we used Reggie Bush on punt returns the open field would give him opportunity
Old 04-27-2006   #17
Frills
Veteran

DD should not be traded at all.

RBBC will help him stay off the trainer's table, and keep both fresh. The days of having a stud RB and riding him the whole season are pretty much over except for a few elite RB's.
Frills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006   #18
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11 Coach C. is a Pro BowlerCoach C. is a Pro Bowler

DD could go for at best a 4th. Maybe not even a high one at that.
Old 04-27-2006   #19
4Texans
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46 4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't see the Texans trading DD for at least a year. Even with Bush, DD is going to get a lot of playing time and can still be of value to the offense.
Old 04-27-2006   #20
Long-Spurs-Texan
Veteran

Why would we trade our between the tackles, workhorse (when healthy)back? Just because we are drafting a change of pace back doesn't mean we get rid of our grinder. A big reason RB was so good was USC had NFL talent at almost every position. Lendale wore them down, & Bush finished them.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read