Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read


College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2006   #1
Dr. Toro
All Pro
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 728
Rep Power: 10 Dr. Toro is on the Pro-Bowl ballotDr. Toro is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Default Leinart's bench

Just thought some of you would like to know, the original USC proday report on ESPN Insider by McShay had a big error in it. They reported Leinart put up 26 reps of 225... well he didn't lift.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft...2=stateChanged

Leinart was on ESPN today marveling at Cutler's 23, saying that he had finally got to double digits.

The bench ain't very important for QB's, but I was seriously impressed when I heard of the 26. Having reassessed his athleticism, Leinart most closely resembles Tom Brady, a guy whose made an HOF career with intangibles but wasn't a high draft pick. I think measurables are vastly overrated, and am not necessarily bothered by a guy being drafted on winning, game, and leadership.

Last edited by Dr. Toro; 04-27-2006 at 10:13 AM.
Dr. Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006   #2
kastofsna
Hall of Fame
 
kastofsna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 7,438
Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

turd mcshay made an error? huh? i'm lost.

leinart is the best player in the draft.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006   #3
pittbull
All Pro
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Houston
Age: 40
Posts: 532
Rep Power: 11 pittbull is a team player
Send a message via AIM to pittbull
Default Leinart is a stud

Leinart is more athletically gifted than really scene on tape. Rosanne Barr can run the USC offense! He doesn't have the Carson Palmer arm, but eh guy can flat out play football.
__________________
The Original, No Duplicating!!!
pittbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006   #4
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame
 
Ibar_Harry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,219
Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Toro
Just thought some of you would like to know, the original USC proday report on ESPN Insider by McShay had a big error in it. They reported Leinart put up 26 reps of 225... well he didn't lift.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft...2=stateChanged

Leinart was on ESPN today marveling at Cutler's 23, saying that he had finally got to double digits.

The bench ain't very important for QB's, but I was seriously impressed when I heard of the 26. Having reassessed his athleticism, Leinart most closely resembles Tom Brady, a guy whose made an HOF career with intangibles but wasn't a high draft pick. I think measurables are vastly overrated, and am not necessarily bothered by a guy being drafted on winning, game, and leadership.
Another guy like that is Penniger from Fresno State. I don't think he's on anybody's radar screen, but Pat Hill swears by him. He is an excellent leader and reader of defenses. Another one of those guys who can't, but just goes out and wins games. Those two matched blows in that big game. SC won, but it wasn't because of Leinart. I think 500 yards plus by a guy named Bush had more to do with that loss.

I'm just agreeing with your comment that players can come out of nowhere particularly QB's. I remember a young blond haired surfer from Santa Clara playing Fresno State and killing us. I wondered who the heck this guy was. Long story short his name was Pastorinni.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006   #5
kastofsna
Hall of Fame
 
kastofsna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 7,438
Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibar_Harry
Another guy like that is Penniger from Fresno State. I don't think he's on anybody's radar screen, but Pat Hill swears by him. He is an excellent leader and reader of defenses. Another one of those guys who can't, but just goes out and wins games. Those two matched blows in that big game. SC won, but it wasn't because of Leinart. I think 500 yards plus by a guy named Bush had more to do with that loss.
yeah, USC won because of pinegar actually. his 4 INT's were gifts.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006   #6
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown
 
Mr. White's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sugar Land
Age: 41
Posts: 6,011
Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

Out of all the guys in the draft, I see most potential for bust in Leinart. Just not too sure he's not a product of the system.
__________________
Quote:
@McClain_on_NFL
John McClain
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006   #7
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame
 
Ibar_Harry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,219
Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastofsna
yeah, USC won because of pinegar actually. his 4 INT's were gifts.
He must have done something right thoough, because we were in the game until the end. Actually the last one that cost us the game Hill said was a sensational read by the defensive player. He didn't fault Penniger at all. It took an outstanding play to defeat us.

I'm just commenting on the fact you never know where a QB can come from and certain skills are not necessarily a predictor of success as the gentleman said. Penniger has a stronger arm than Linert. He is a gym rat like Carr.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-27-2006   #8
kastofsna
Hall of Fame
 
kastofsna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 7,438
Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibar_Harry
He must have done something right thoough, because we were in the game until the end. Actually the last one that cost us the game Hill said was a sensational read by the defensive player. He didn't fault Penniger at all. It took an outstanding play to defeat us.

I'm just commenting on the fact you never know where a QB can come from and certain skills are not necessarily a predictor of success as the gentleman said. Penniger has a stronger arm than Linert. He is a gym rat like Carr.
pinnegar easily has the weakest arm in this draft.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006   #9
Dr. Toro
All Pro
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 728
Rep Power: 10 Dr. Toro is on the Pro-Bowl ballotDr. Toro is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Red Bull
Out of all the guys in the draft, I see most potential for bust in Leinart. Just not too sure he's not a product of the system.
Yeah, I don't want to discount results and game film, but his lack of athleticism AND questionable arm strength (add a shoulder surgery) make for as unique a high pick as Young or Cutler. I think Leinart will be good, but this can't miss talk is tough to believe given his limited physical skills.
Dr. Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006   #10
Porky
Hall of Fame
 
Porky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Age: 51
Posts: 12,192
Rep Power: 55535 Porky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

Other than Texas I watched more USC games than any other, and I am not a Leinert booster. I think out of the top 3, he has the highest bust potential. At the very best, I see him as merely good, but never great. Having said that, he is also the most ready to play now among the big 3.
__________________
Your local CruiseOne Vacation specialist. www.firstclasscruising.biz Visit me on Facebook.
Porky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006   #11
4Texans
Hall of Fame
 
4Texans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,049
Rep Power: 46 4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

I'm sure Chow would love for him to step right into the Titans offense regardless of any Pro Day or Combine workout.
__________________
Born and raised a Texan... How 'bout you?
4Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006   #12
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer
 
Texans_Chick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,241
Rep Power: 70214 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected
Default With teammates like this, who needs enemies.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porky
Other than Texas I watched more USC games than any other, and I am not a Leinert booster. I think out of the top 3, he has the highest bust potential. At the very best, I see him as merely good, but never great. Having said that, he is also the most ready to play now among the big 3.
Ouch.

Link: Miami Herald

Quote:
An objective man

So who will be the first quarterback selected in this weekend's NFL Draft? Will it be USC's Matt Leinart, Texas' Vince Young or Vanderbilt's Jay Cutler?

The opinion of USC running back LenDale White might be surprising.

''I would never trade away the three years with Matt as my quarterback,'' White told The Denver Post. ``But if I was an NFL team, I don't know how you could not take Vince Young. Nothing against Matt, but Vince has to be the No. 1 guy.''
Texans_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006   #13
kastofsna
Hall of Fame
 
kastofsna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 7,438
Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Toro
Yeah, I don't want to discount results and game film, but his lack of athleticism AND questionable arm strength (add a shoulder surgery) make for as unique a high pick as Young or Cutler. I think Leinart will be good, but this can't miss talk is tough to believe given his limited physical skills.
about as limited as brady coming out of college.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006   #14
Dr. Toro
All Pro
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 728
Rep Power: 10 Dr. Toro is on the Pro-Bowl ballotDr. Toro is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastofsna
about as limited as brady coming out of college.

And Brady wasn't a top 5 pick.
Dr. Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006   #15
Vinny
shiny happy fan
 
Vinny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Age: 50
Posts: 21,768
Rep Power: 153410 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Red Bull
Out of all the guys in the draft, I see most potential for bust in Leinart. Just not too sure he's not a product of the system.
hes the 3rd qb on my board...I've seen them all play...love Cutler's game...love VY's game. I see a plodding slowfooted version of Leftwich/Bledsoe without a big arm when I see Leinart.
__________________
http://twitter.com/#!/TexansTalk


"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger